Gary Oldman Slams "Political Correctness," Calls Dark Knight Movies "Work"

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Gary Oldman Slams "Political Correctness," Calls Dark Knight Movies "Work"

The Dawn of The Planet of The Apes star burns some bridges in blistering interview with Playboy

If you live in the Los Angeles area and happened to hear a blood-curdling scream earlier this evening, it might well have been 20th Century Fox's investors for Dawn of The Planet of The Apes getting word that the July/August issue of Playboy Magazine includes an in-depth interview in which star Gary Oldman slams "political correctness," defends Mel Gibson's anti-semitic rants and mused about calling U.S. Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi "a f****** useless c***."

The famously private acting legend, whose stature as a rare conservative-leaning Hollywood presence has been long known, unloaded on these and a variety of topics toward the end of the lengthy interview when the subject turned to public controversies involving celebrities like Alec Baldwin and Gibson (whom Oldman describes as being "...in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him") before segueing into a rant against Jon Stewart and Bill Maher being able to "hide behind comedy and satire." He also came to the defense of a Creationist schoolteacher being sued for discrimination by the parents of a Buddhist student.

Elsewhere in the interview (which is quite a fascinating if lengthy read), Oldman talks candidly about raising his sons, his battle with alcoholism and subsequent sobriety. He also offers negative appraisals of some of his most famous roles, some of which are guaranteed to shock many fans: Sid & Nancy? "I didn't want to make it in the first place." Immortal Beloved: "I was the wrong person to play Beethoven." The Fifth Element: "Oh no. I can't bear it." He also dismissed his fan-favorite roles in the Harry Potter and Dark Knight franchises with "It was work."

It wasn't all doom and gloom, though: Oldman did offer praise to the script of Apes, along with expressing admiration for conservative political commentator Charles Krauthammer, David Bowie and Demi Moore (who he credited with convincing him to get sober over a decade ago). After Apes, he will next be seen in Child 44.

Source: Playboy [http://www.playboy.com/playground/view/gary-oldman-playboy-interview]
(Note: It's PLAYBOY, so link is obviously NSFW.)

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
so no one is doubting the legitimacy?

Otherwise, meh, actors are people and just like people have opinions ranging from stupid to interesting

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Well after reading the article it's not as bad as I thought, I mean he's really just mad about the double standards that Hollywood seems to have a lot of the time.

I'm really just hoping this doesn't blow up into some massive controversy because I'd hate to see him get blacklisted for having an opinion that's different from everyone else.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hawk eye1466 said:
Well after reading the article it's not as bad as I thought, I mean he's really just mad about the double standards that Hollywood seems to have a lot of the time.
what double standards? just out of interest?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Some of these celebrities really need to learn moderation. When Alec Baldwin says something like this or does something stupid, it's never anything particularly huge and he's done it enough times that nobody thinks any less of him for it, just a quirk of being Alec Baldwin. Then there's Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen, who have gone so long that they just let it out all at once, burning all the bridges in one giant atom-splitting blast of verbiage. That kind of retention can decrease your lifespan by 10 years! I had respect for Gary Oldman, even with the silly string of commercials he's been in lately. He's a solid thespian. But he hasn't punched the proverbial nun in the face yet so I forgive him for being a conservative. It's just too bad he thinks so badly of his previous works, although this is a curse of many great artists.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Deadcyde said:
so no one is doubting the legitimacy?
Despite what some may believe, Playboy interviewing someone as big as Oldman isn't something of particular note given the magazine's history. They have far to much to lose if it was fake, and that's before going into the long history they have with interviewing celebrities. Plus they're editors are probably to smart to allow something like this to be released if it was fake given it would open them up for a lawsuit because of slander (it might not be that much, but you're dame sure I would be pissed if someone accused me of defending Gibson)

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Sid and Nancy has 92%. Immortal Beloved has 58%. Fifth Element has 71%. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has 91%. Dark Knight movies have over 85%.

These are not exactly bad movies, or shameful in any way. Accepting them when you have options and then calling them "just work", is arrogant and narcissistic. He's a good actor, but my god is he an asshole.

P.S. And really? We're back to that "jews run the hollywood" bullshit? Fucking grow up, man. So dumb.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
"Bitter, old actor yells racist things at cloud, more at 11"

Eh, pretty standard whine from somebody who doesn't know when to shut up. If I got worked up over everybody who has ever had a racist opinion I'd be angry for the rest of my life.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Remus said:
Some of these celebrities really need to learn moderation. When Alec Baldwin says something like this or does something stupid, it's never anything particularly huge and he's done it enough times that nobody thinks any less of him for it, just a quirk of being Alec Baldwin. Then there's Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen, who have gone so long that they just let it out all at once, burning all the bridges in one giant atom-splitting blast of verbiage. That kind of retention can decrease your lifespan by 10 years! I had respect for Gary Oldman, even with the silly string of commercials he's been in lately. He's a solid thespian. But he hasn't punched the proverbial nun in the face yet so I forgive him for being a conservative. It's just too bad he thinks so badly of his previous works, although this is a curse of many great artists.
Oldman's is from Lewisham and in Lewisham calling someone a f****** useless c*** is quite mild.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm kind of curious, but maybe Jews actually run Hollywood? Leading actors in the industry would know best. Obviously it's run by money first and foremost, but technically you could make that statement without any antisemitism, like one may say Italians run the mob or Vietnamese have the market cornered on pedicures. I'm a Western Canadian, so the concept of 'antisemitism' is kind of foreign to me. I'm just wondering that maybe Hollywood was founded by some old Jewish families, wouldn't really be anything wrong with that.

Or it could be these guys are semi-conspiracy nuts that think the Jews are running everything, in that case forget what I said above!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
Hawk eye1466 said:
what double standards? just out of interest?
Hollywood is traditionally seen as being extremely liberal, politically. Lots of trends have popped up over the years as Hollywood's political angles influenced the films they created. Look no further than the Vietnam War. With huge political backlash and negative public opinion, the vast majority of films set in Vietnam lambast the conflict and offer very negative viewpoints. I can only think of one film that was pro-Vietnam, The Green Berets. And that film probably only managed to get made due to John Wayne's star power.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well, I disagree with him on a lot of things then, but once again we see the controversy machine firing up and that's what I don't like. Whatever his opinions may be I hope this doesn't impact his job prospects or anything like that, although I doubt it will. For some reason while an opera singer can be forced out of a production over a homophobic post, actors still get work no matter what they say, which is how it should be.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Lol, that is the very first time I have ever read playboy just for the article.

Giving the other high profile incidents that happened this year, I'm really surprised anyone in the public eye would let out a rant like that.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
He also came to the defense of a Creationist schoolteacher being sued for discrimination by the parents of a Buddhist student.
I suppose with that comment I've relegated Mr Oldman to the same slot as Tom Cruice; actors I hold on great esteem due to their capability as actors but that pretty much loath as people.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
albino boo said:
Remus said:
Oldman's is from Lewisham and in Lewisham calling someone a f****** useless c*** is quite mild.
That's usually how they greet the boss the the morning.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I suppose it shouldn't surprise me at this point that someone would skew their take on the article and present in such a fashion as to drum up even more controversy than it's going to garner on it's own.

I mean, it'd be nice to see an impartial take on the matter, but I don't really expect it.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
RandV80 said:
I'm kind of curious, but maybe Jews actually run Hollywood? Leading actors in the industry would know best. Obviously it's run by money first and foremost, but technically you could make that statement without any antisemitism, like one may say Italians run the mob or Vietnamese have the market cornered on pedicures. I'm a Western Canadian, so the concept of 'antisemitism' is kind of foreign to me. I'm just wondering that maybe Hollywood was founded by some old Jewish families, wouldn't really be anything wrong with that.

Or it could be these guys are semi-conspiracy nuts that think the Jews are running everything, in that case forget what I said above!
Its the second. There are some well known and well connected Jews in hollywood, but the majority of actors and money are white christians as in every industry. People get mad at Jews being "over represented", which means that some industries have more Jews as a percentage then there are Jews as a percentage of the total country. I believe that today Jews represent 0.3% of the US, so if there is an industry with 5-10% Jews, these antisemites jump on the JEWS RULE THE WORLD train. Its true, Jews as a people are under represented in blue collar work and over represented in the white collar industries such as finance, accounting, medicine, entertainment, etc because that's culturally what we idolize and are pushed towards.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
"...in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him."
I always love it when this kind of thing is called "political correctness". It furthers my opinion that PC is code word for "acting like a jerk", and that a bunch of angry privileged men are mad at being called out on it.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Yeah, his thesis about "political correctness" seems to be that world would be a better place if we could all just admit that everybody is racist, because apparently people who "persecute" others for their use of racial slurs are hypocrites, because they DEFINITELY use the same words all the time, and in the same context.

Man...I don't even know where to begin with this. I guess, I'll start by saying "No, Gary Oldman. I have actually never called someone a ******, nor have I ever referred to someone as 'that fucking jew'. So if I object to others speaking like this, I am not actually a hypocrite. Racism is not universal."

Also, he seems to think that a fucking educator "teaching" children the Bible as fact is basically just the teacher sharing their opinion, and Buddhist family suing is somehow suppression of religious freedom. Yes Gary Oldman, let's fucking TALK about double standards.

Sidmen said:
"...in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him."
I always love it when this kind of thing is called "political correctness". It furthers my opinion that PC is code word for "acting like a jerk", and that a bunch of angry privileged men are mad at being called out on it.
Uh...Yeah, that's pretty much it.