Rambo V Heads to Mexico, Will be Stallone's No Country for Old Men

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Rambo V Heads to Mexico, Will be Stallone's No Country for Old Men

Splendid Films has acquired the rights to Rambo V, and Stallone describes it as "his version of No Country for Old Men."

Ready for more carnage from Sylvester Stallone's John Rambo character? Last seen in 2008 in the film series' fourth entry, Rambo, apparently German outfit Splendid Film has bought the rights to Rambo V. The press release mentions, "Mit 'Rambo V' kehrt Sylvester Stallone in seine Paraderolle zurück. Dieses Mal legt er sich mit dem mexikanischen Kartell an. Stallone, der auch für das Drehbuch verantwortlich ist, beschreibt den neuen Rambo als seine Version von 'No Country for Old Men.' Produzent ist, wie schon beim letzten 'John Rambo,' Avi Lerner ('The Expendables 1-3')."

If you're like me and don't know a lick of German, here's the translated text courtesy of ComingSoon: [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119794]

With "Rambo V" Sylvester Stallone returns in his iconic role. This time he goes up against a Mexican cartel. Stallone, who has also written the screenplay, describes the new Rambo as his version of "No Country for Old Men." Like the last film, "Rambo V" is produced by Avi Lerner ("The Expendables 1-3")

Sylvester Stallone wrote and directed the 2008 Rambo film that totaled over $113 million in box office receipts from a $50 million budget to turn a profit. Do you want to see John Rambo take on the Mexican Cartel? Come to think of it, do you want more Rambo films at all?

Source: ComingSoon [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119794]

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Rambo 2008 was not a good film. It was a schlocky throwback that had some OTT moments of the old ultra violence. That said, I think he should make them as long as people watch them. First blood was the only one that I thought was really a good movie. I would like to see a return to that kind of film. Maybe see him come home and clean up town. It could be good in a very cheesy way.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Objectable said:
Remember how many kills the first Rambo film had?
One.
By accident.
And it was a cop.
And it was the cops own doing. He should had worn a harness when leaning out of a helicopter that's moving.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
And the film series with the stupidest naming sequence continues the awesome.

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Rambo
Rambo V

If the next one is called Second Blood: Rambo V Part II, I will be very happy.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Harrison Ford just took a minor tumble on the set of Star Wars and had to be shipped back to America for treatment.

Do not let old people do action, it will end poorly.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Objectable said:
Remember how many kills the first Rambo film had?
One.
By accident.
And it was a cop.
Thats one thing I never understood about the Rambo series, how the hell did it change from "a damaged vet driven crazy with PTSD" to "DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA Kill em all".

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
We already have Machete...and possibly a machete 2, but i'm trying to ignore that one.

Those poor mexicans get a lot of jip nowadays.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
I'll take another Rambo movie as I desperately cling to the action heroes of my youth, none of today's sparkly vampire crap for me thanks.

Unless its a PG-13 abortion, then it can rot in hell along with every other PG-13 reboot/remake/rewhatever.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
mirage202 said:
I'll take another Rambo movie as I desperately cling to the action heroes of my youth, none of today's sparkly vampire crap for me thanks.

Unless its a PG-13 abortion, then it can rot in hell along with every other PG-13 reboot/remake/rewhatever.

OT:Im surprised hes making another one as I heard the 2008 one was terrible tho I hope it will at least be a fun and entertaining flick.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
You know what? I'll watch it. I liked Rambo 2008. Storywise it wasn't that good, but it was entertaining as hell and was a very solid action-flick.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Veldie said:
mirage202 said:

OT:Im surprised hes making another one as I heard the 2008 one was terrible tho I hope it will at least be a fun and entertaining flick.

The last Rambo isn't that bad honestly, way better than 2 and 3 and it made a profit so a 5th isn't surprising.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
At first I got the films mixed up and thought it was "Stallones version of Gran Torino" which would have had me very interested since it would have worked well with the John Rambo character, but when I realized I was thinking of the wrong film I just don't care. No country for Old men is a good film but I don't think Stallone can do anything to make his version interesting.

Going to go on a rant, but I am just tired of seeing Stallone in the lead role of an action film, he just doesn't get it, part of being an actor is that your suited role changes as you age. One of my favorite films is bucket list for just that reason with Nickleson and Freeman showing that they are veteran actors. Meanwhile Stallone is still trying to play the same roles he did thirty years ago with love interests half his age and fighting guys in much better shape than he is.
I would love to see Stallone do his take on Gran Torino, I think it would be a good fit. Same with Schwarzenegger, his ideal role would be some big bad ass General that supports the lead actors (A Nick Fury type role) instead of trying to be the lead actor.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Flatfrog said:

First Blood
Rambo III
Rambo
Rambo V

And of course it will be split up in to a trilogy to really honour the source material. Maybe they'll even make a videogame tie-in. Who can't wait for Second Blood: Rambo V Part II Chapter 1 The Video Game - Episode 1: Prologue?

And I think Die Hard probably gets the credit for stupidest naming system. Stupid but a bit awesome.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, even when part 4 was just watchable, i actually dont really want a fifth movie. maybe it might be good but i highly doubt that.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This should be good if they go r rated, which the last one was i think. After all those Mexican cartels are fairly brutal.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Rambo 4 was awesome, especially when you consider a lot of the other late remakes like Indiana Jones and Die Hard. Well, awesome if you were already a Rambo fan to begin with. They knew their audience, didn't bother wussing around with any PG-13 crap and just made it R-rated (even though the originals really weren't), and just made a very good 'Rambo' movie. If you were around when the original movies were coming to theater and became a fan then Rambo 4 was a great tribute to the series, rather than just another shameless nostalgia-driven money grab.

Not sure if another one is necessarily needed though, which always brings the danger of actually being a nostalgia-driven money grab.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
They can make as many Rambo movies as they want as long as they're good, which they really haven't been since the first one IMO. Being old may make it impractical for you to be a traditional action star, but firing a gun doesn't generally take too much athleticism.

Flatfrog said:

First Blood
Rambo III
Rambo
Rambo V

Hey, at least it follows the naming convention of one other installment in the series so far, that's progress.