Fox's Gotham Teases with New Character Posters

harpere

May 20, 2014
Fox's Gotham Teases with New Character Posters

Get some face time with the characters of Gotham in these new posters.

This fall, Fox is bringing a new entry to the Batman mythos with Gotham, a look at the city's early days before Bruce Wayne became Batman. Following the adventures of young Detective James Gordon, Gotham will feature a familiar cast of characters... in their younger years. And while we've seen glimpses of most of them before, today Fox released and villains [http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/25/gotham-character-images/?hootPostID=efe99bea795388364a5487823bc64f8c].

And the look is a good one, with a dark and gloomy aesthetic that falls right in line with the recent Batman movie franchise. Gotham is introducing new character Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith) as a gangster and Oswald Cobblepot's (that's the Penguin, played here by Robin Lord Taylor) boss, who makes a nice addition to the otherwise very pale-skinned cast. Another change is the name of the girl to become Poison Ivy: instead of being Pamela Isley, she's now Ivy Pepper, a name that would have fit better with 60's Batman than it does with Gotham's grittier aesthetic. That poor child -- with a name like that, she basically had to become a supervillain.

Like these new character concepts? Dislike them? Take a look in the gallery below and let us know what you think!

Source: Entertainment Tonight [http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/25/gotham-character-images/?hootPostID=efe99bea795388364a5487823bc64f8c]

[gallery=2776]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Young Bruce Wayne looks surprisingly malevolent, I thought he was a baddie until I read the name at the top.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Enigma and Gordon look pretty similar to me... Cobblepot gets away with it with the nose and hair though. Otherwise pretty interesting! Selina Kyle being a lot older than bruce is strange though, I take it this is seperate from the movies (past and future)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
JoJo said:
Young Bruce Wayne looks surprisingly malevolent, I thought he was a baddie until I read the name at the top.
He looks like someone who would develop pyrokinetic powers just so he could burn ants more efficiently.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Why do I get the feeling that this series is going to end up like Smallville and introduce every one of Batman's enemies before there even is a Batman?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's fine, but I can see no-one else but Gary Oldman as Gordon, to the point that even seeing the Burton Batman films I think about Oldman being better.

The Penguin looks pretty good, unusually subtle. My real fear is that it's American TV, establish a premise, introduce your characters and then fill, fill, fill. I don't have the time or motivation to watch twenty four episodes for the six hours of actual plot that will be hiding in them.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
This show interested me in the beginning, when it sounded like a show about gorden and him having to deal with deeply corrupt gotham city. But now its about Batmans rogue gallery and they already announced that the joker is going to be in it, and that just sound stupid and boring without Batman. And am I not mistaken in thinking that all of them only came to be after batman hit the scene?
If you want to make a Batman show then make a freaking Batman show and not this bullshit!

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I want this to be good, and I think it can be if they don't focus on young Bruce Wayne at all. Also, the casting for Cobblepot is fucking amazing! He may not be chubby, but he looks sinister as hell!

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
I'm not really sure what to think of the show. When I first heard of the idea of doing a Gotham show that focused on the police instead of Batman, my initial thought had been that it would be like an origin story told from a different perspective. That it would take place shortly before, and then during the earliest days of Batman, which granted is ground that has been trodden upon many many times, but the focus would be on the police force, Gordon in particular, and how they coped with both the rise of various crazy villains, and of course the enigmatic, potentially untrustworthy vigilante who throws himself into the fray. Instead of basically being the cops standing there looking helpless while waiting for Batman to fix things for them, they'd be taking a much more active approach in facing these threats, with the Batman actually being relegated to a secondary character, (ideally one you wouldn't even get a glimpse of until more than halfway into the season, after the lead characters and various villains have been established,) as the audience wouldn't be able to see behind the curtain, as it were, to view the Batcave, Alfred, all those elements that any fan knows are going to be there. From the audience's perspective, Batman would essentially be what both the cops and criminals view him as; this almost primordial force that, for the longest time, borders on a myth.

This iteration though, I mean, at least Smallville eventually (eveeeeentuaaallyyyyy) closed things by transitioning Clark Kent into Superman. That doesn't even seem likely to be on the table here, given how young Bruce is. He's still years away from even going on that whole 'round the world to learn 99 flavors of kicking ass' trip, so even assuming the show has a successful run, will the timeline ever reach the point of being able to have Batman enter the scene, barring some massive time skip near the end of the series?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I thought Poison Ivy's real name was Pamela Isley or something? I enjoy pretty much anything Superhero and I'm definitely more DC than Marvel, but I cant really get excited for this show. I'l definitely give it a chance.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Uh, is the Riddler supposed to be that much older than Batman? And Selina looks like at least ten years older than him as well. Only me noticing this?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Soxafloppin said:
I thought Poison Ivy's real name was Pamela Isley or something? I enjoy pretty much anything Superhero and I'm definitely more DC than Marvel, but I cant really get excited for this show. I'l definitely give it a chance.
You are correct. "Pepper" might be a nick-name though.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
rosac said:
Enigma and Gordon look pretty similar to me... Cobblepot gets away with it with the nose and hair though. Otherwise pretty interesting! Selina Kyle being a lot older than bruce is strange though, I take it this is seperate from the movies (past and future)
Realitycrash said:
Uh, is the Riddler supposed to be that much older than Batman? And Selina looks like at least ten years older than him as well. Only me noticing this?
I thought so too.. but the actress playing Selina is just 14. The actor playing Bruce is 13.

Yeah. She's 14. The first time I saw the original trailer with her in it, I was sure she was early 20's. Maybe late teens. But not a grade school aged girl. Did a bit of digging when I found a thread about her on another forum because of a massive flame war over pedophilia, did a bit more digging and found that she's 14.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2585945/Camren-Bicondova-transforms-Catwoman-Gotham-set.html

Holy crap.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I hate when I get myself in trouble. I was busy being like "Wow, I really like the actress for Selina Kyle, *Ogle ogle*" Then I look her up and find out she is 15, whoops.
Everyone carry on please...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Realitycrash said:
What's really strange is in the original trailer, Selina is about the same age as Bruce, but the poster makes her look like a full grown adult.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Tono Makt said:
rosac said:
Realitycrash said:
I thought so too.. but the actress playing Selina is just 14. The actor playing Bruce is 13.

Yeah. She's 14. The first time I saw the original trailer with her in it, I was sure she was early 20's. Maybe late teens. But not a grade school aged girl. Did a bit of digging when I found a thread about her on another forum because of a massive flame war over pedophilia, did a bit more digging and found that she's 14.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2585945/Camren-Bicondova-transforms-Catwoman-Gotham-set.html

Holy crap.

Uuuuuh. Now I feel weird.
I'm happy I can blame most of that on posing, photoshop and make-up, though. But honestly, why do they try to make him look like a kid, and her like an adult?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Realitycrash said:
I'm happy I can blame most of that on posing, photoshop and make-up, though. But honestly, why do they try to make him look like a kid, and her like an adult?
Maybe because they've said they're having her character in a more active role than his? Therefore kids that look like kids don't get as much screentime?

In any case, when I first heard about this I was skeptical to say the least, and these posters are not helping them bring me to watching the show...Because if it's just gonna be Comic Gotham, but without Batman...it loses alot of appeal due to how many of the big names aren't so much connected to Gotham, as they are to Bats.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
Redryhno said:
Realitycrash said:
Maybe because they've said they're having her character in a more active role than his? Therefore kids that look like kids don't get as much screentime?

In any case, when I first heard about this I was skeptical to say the least, and these posters are not helping them bring me to watching the show...Because if it's just gonna be Comic Gotham, but without Batman...it loses alot of appeal due to how many of the big names aren't so much connected to Gotham, as they are to Bats.
The reason why I'm thinking that is because Selena Kyle is Catwoman, and Catwoman is a criminal. If this takes place during the 1960, it could be connected to womens' rights, unless I'm mistaken. Therefore, it could be about the quality and quantity of the crime(s) in question that she could be convicted with. Charging a 14 year old girl with the crimes of an adult, right?

In any case, Gotham is the link between Gordon to Bruce. And half of the plot of this TV show is about how Bruce became Batman. I mean it's not all about Gordon, right? Thus, this show could definitely expand out of Gotham.