EA Sports UFC Review - Technical Knock Out

Encaen

May 6, 2005
EA Sports UFC Review - Technical Knock Out

UFC is an intensely technical game which punishes button mashing, making for a steep learning curve as well as a tendency to have frequently less-than-exciting fights.

Read Full Article

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I just recently got THQ's UFC Undisputed 2009 and I bloody love it. The controls sound very similar in this, so it shouldn't be hard for me to adjust whenever I get it (probably in a few years when the PS4 is cheap).

Not too fussed hearing about the laggy online, really, since I virtually never play games online - even fighters.

PuppetMaster

Aug 28, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I just recently got THQ's UFC Undisputed 2009 and I bloody love it. The controls sound very similar in this, so it shouldn't be hard for me to adjust whenever I get it (probably in a few years when the PS4 is cheap).

Not too fussed hearing about the laggy online, really, since I virtually never play games online - even fighters.
all the UFC games before UFC Undisputed 2009 were horrible, half a dozen leg kicks would knock out most fighters. 2009 was amazing, 2010 was a surprising improvement (In my opinion, the equivalent of DBZ Budokai 2 to Budokai 3). EA's last MMA game was atrocious, so I have serious doubts about this title.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've only played the demo but seeing as how it came out all of a few days before the finished game I'd say it's probably a pretty decent representation. And the demo was pretty crappy. The controls are a little complex but they don't really feel like they add any depth, and they don't always make a lot of sense in terms of the connection between input and move. Most 3D fighting games do a much better job of this. Another thing most 3D fighters do better is actually feel good to play. Even when EA UFC is working right, it feels weak and insubstantial. Unless you get a big knockout blow, the hits don't feel like they have any weight or impact to them, and they also don't flow together as well as they should.

As a fan of the UFC, I was really anticipating this game and hoping it came out well. I wasn't expecting or wanting it to be a fighting game in a UFC costume, but I was expecting it to do the UFC well. I was very disappointed. Maybe next year they can take the clearly gorgeous graphics and actually polish up the gameplay underneath.