No Man's Sky Developer Perseveres After Devastating Flood

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
No Man's Sky Developer Perseveres After Devastating Flood

Even after a devastating flood, Joe Danger developer Hello Games still managed to steal the show at E3 with No Man's Sky.

A [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11619-No-Mans-Sky-Making-Console-Debut-on-PS4"]trailer for No Man's Sky[/a] closed out the indie games portion of Sony's E3 press conference. After the three and a half minute video, [a href="http://www.hellogames.org/"]Hello Games'[/a] Managing Director Sean Murray stepped out on stage to talk about his company's game. Murray, visibly nervous, shared some of his team's inspirations in science-fiction and art and what No Man's Sky would deliver to PlayStation 4 owners when the game eventually released.

After E3, Murray sat down with Sony to share in detail how No Man's Sky was conceptualized and what players can expect from it. In the video, posted on the [a href="http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/27/no-mans-sky-on-ps4-the-ambitions-of-hello-games/"]PlayStation Blog[/a] today, Murray also discusses the studio's first title and franchise, Joe Danger, as well as a [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130830-No-Mans-Sky-and-Joe-Danger-Developer-Hello-Games-Suffers-Flood"]flood[/a] that seriously damaged the Hello Games offices on Christmas Eve of last year.

Murray's earnestness and excitement frames the video's story about Hello Games and what ideas are going into No Man's Sky. The video also offers some clarification on what players will do in the game besides explore the procedurally generated planets and travel through space.

[gallery=2788]
[a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130331-Hello-Games-Announces-New-Sci-Fi-Adventure-No-Mans-Sky"]Announced at VGX[/a] last December, No Man's Sky is a science-fiction, space exploration game with worlds created procedurally. How Hello Games uses this concept is to create a massive galaxy filled with players exploring these planets. When a player joins the game for the first time, they are placed onto a world that is generated for them by the game (rather than something specifically designed by a developer).

Eventually, players leave their world to explore a galaxy populated by planets generated for other players. Space combat is a significant part of the players' journeys, and according to Murray, story elements will motivate voyaging towards the center of the galaxy.

No Man's Sky does not have a release date yet, but is planned to debut on PS4. Hello Games has not ruled out releasing on other platforms eventually.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Another game making the PS4 even sexier more desirable attractive worth buying.

I do hope it eventually comes to PC though.

Also I'm glad they seem to have bounced back from that nasty flood business.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Grimh said:
Another game making the PS4 even sexier more desirable attractive worth buying.

I do hope it eventually comes to PC though.

Also I'm glad they seem to have bounced back from that nasty flood business.
I was about to link you information about them bringing it to PC as well but it seems someone has edited any links and attached info that was previously up on their wiki page, something doesn't seem right if all that's next to PS4 is "TBA".

I'd expect this in the end though to reach both PC and XB1.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
What the fuck is this? I saw this months ago and now all of a sudden it's going to "debut" on PS4? Well, there goes my hype. What the fuck does "debut" mean anyway? Oh you mean like GTA V "debuted" on consoles?

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
What is it with indie devs and floods? I think it was Super Giant or someone that had the other one.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Crazy Zaul said:
What is it with indie devs and floods? I think it was Super Giant or someone that had the other one.
Their offices don't reach up too high.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It's so nice to see a developer that has obvious emotional investment and attached to a game instead of just spouting PR speak. AAA games can be great fun but there's just something special when you can tell that a game really is coming straight from the heart. No idea if the game will really turn out well in the end, but I will say that I'm very excited.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I have to say, there is absolutely no way in anything close to hell that this game will live up to its promises.

But damn, I want it, and I want it bad. I also want to know how they procedurally generate all that stuff without massive bugs.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
The hype for this game is far too high right now. Seriously, has there even been a gameplay video or demo yet?

It kinda reminds me of the people on forums about WoW that, when a new expansion is in alpha/beta, spend a great deal of time talking about how awesome things are going to be despite not having a single goddamn clue.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I guess the 42 million dollars that star citizen raised is finally getting some attention, there IS a market for flight simulators!!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
I'd expect this in the end though to reach both PC and XB1.
Well considering that Microsoft stepped in and helped foot the bill for their flood damage, I'd say it'll end up on the xbone sooner or later. I can't see Microsoft doing something like that out of the kindness of their hearts.

Hell, after they did that I was worried this game was going to end up as a Microsoft exclusive.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
I'm actually rabidly curious to see Jim Sterling's opinion on this game, and the dev. Considering how long he's been decrying bloated publishers and developers, massive teams that burn through money by the bucket load, all to create corridor shooters with many pixels but little substance, well, this game is looking more and more like the polar opposite to everything he'd opposed. Maybe we can have a feel-good Jimquisition episode. :3 while it's always entertaining to see the episodes where he tears down the company, game, etc., it's also nice when he takes the time to celebrate the good elements in the industry.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I have been wanting this game since I saw the trailer at the Spike VGAs... but I will be waiting until it comes out on the Xbox One.