Legend of Korra Review: More Like Avatar, But Still Korra

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra Review: More Like Avatar, But Still Korra

Book Three starts off strong with a three-episode premiere, but looks to lose momentum with an immediate holiday break.

Read Full Article

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, I'll just say what I said earlier in a thread on the subject.

I feel that Season 3 is on to a good start. Korra feels like she has grown as a result of what happened last season, but she's still Korra. She still has a temper, and leaps before she looks, but you can tell she has calmed down a little and does listen to those around her. Korra truly wants to do the right thing, of course she always has, but she seems like she has began to truly become the Avatar in more than name.

I like that Asami and Korra seem to have grown closer and become friends. And can even joke about their ties to Mako. Though, I wish Mako weren't being quite so emo. Bolin is still a joy, and it feels like he has more of a purpose than he did is Season 2, where he was just kinda there without adding to the story most of the time. And when Mako and Bolin met their long lost family, I really felt for them.

Seeing Old Man Zuko was just plain awesome and I loved every minute he was on screen. It's nice to see one of the old Gaang taking action in the series. And his comment about "Sparky Sparky Boom Man" brought a smile to my face.

The group that is coming together as villains seems like they need a little more screen time, but their abilities are impressive and they certainly do promise some great fights.

The fight choreography is great as it always was and the animation is fluid.

My only other thing is that the Earth Kingdom seems like it's as bad as it was in Season Two of The Last Airbender. Seriously, it looks like the Avatar will need to do like Kyoshi and completely alter the government again.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I was really hoping Mako was really gonna jump ship right there. I would have been fine to have just one of the brothers.

Glad to see some fresh faces. I wonder if this means they'll ditch some of the older ones, the cast is getting pretty big.

The Asami and Korra relationship is the one I like best so far in the series.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
Doug and Rob said it best about season two. The secondary characters is where the story is at. I have never liked Korra since the get-go but she has matured in the tiniest of bits. The story revolving around Mako's and Bolin's family was awesome and I hope they go back to that. Tenzin finally bringing forth Aang's dream about rebuilding the Air Nation is a promising story line. I feel that some aspects of this season will be by-the-book generic if not handled properly. Things like Jinora having a crush on Kai only to have Tenzin disapprove of that until Kai proves himself. Kai is a theft and will more then likely have to prove himself changed by saving Jinora from something. Mako and Bolin will have to choose between their life at Republic City or staying with their family. This season, like the first, will have villains that I would probably would like to see more of then Korra. But, as far as first impressions go, this season is starting of on a wobbly but good first step.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
The 3rd Season episodes were really good, the break of one week isn't a big deal since they showed 3 episodes on the season premiere, which makes up for it by a long run. Korra is a great character. i think she's better then Aang was in the first series to be honest.. i'm not fond of Kai... but maybe he'll get better as the season goes on.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I really like how theyr'e setting this season up. Zuko's lines about 'Sparky Sparky Boom Man' were hilarious, and Bolin actually managed to get a huge laugh out of me for once.

My one complaint would probably be the animation for the first two episodes. They just really didn't seem to be up to par with Studio Mir's usual quality. (EDIT: Having re-watched the first two episodes in higher quality, the animation is much better than my initial impressions).

crazygameguy4ever said:
The 3rd Season episodes were really good, the break of one week isn't a big deal since they showed 3 episodes on the season premiere, which makes up for it by a long run.
There is also going to be a one hour special on the 11th. So not only did we get three episodes this week, we're getting two more after the break.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I find Korra to be too moody and immature in general to really like. I mean, ang was incredibly immature but he got moody at things that mattered. Korra seems to stomp around at everything in a way with even fewer redeeming qualities that Zuko used to (I mean, at least he had a valid reason to be moody as a character default, Korra had a loving family and has always been raised as the Avatar).

I'm glad they've introduced the spirit world and it's cool that airbenders are back. But I have a hard time relating to the main group and especially the protagonist. I get the desire to make her tough. But moody isn't tough. They missed the mark.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
did anyone else think that the fourth bender at the North Pole was going to be an Aged but still unbelievably dangerous Azula?

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Lightknight said:
I find Korra to be too moody and immature in general to really like. I mean, ang was incredibly immature but he got moody at things that mattered. Korra seems to stomp around at everything in a way with even fewer redeeming qualities that Zuko used to (I mean, at least he had a valid reason to be moody as a character default, Korra had a loving family and has always been raised as the Avatar).

I'm glad they've introduced the spirit world and it's cool that airbenders are back. But I have a hard time relating to the main group and especially the protagonist. I get the desire to make her tough. But moody isn't tough. They missed the mark.
I think the most telling thing about this series is that Korra's first line was "I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it!" Sure, we're still in the world of Avatar but this is meant to be a completely different character. It allows for a new exploration and it's kind of refreshing to see a "super hero" story where the protagonist isn't a (relatively) perfect person or an anti-hero. Korra is far more realistic to me than Aang, and I loved Aang, but Korra isn't quite so destiny-laden and introspective. At the very least, I'd say the showrunners deserve respect for trying something instead of just making the new Avatar another Aang.
JPArbiter said:
did anyone else think that the fourth bender at the North Pole was going to be an Aged but still unbelievably dangerous Azula?
I knew it would be the Combustion Woman from the trailer, but I'm still hoping for a return of Azula. I saw someone cosplaying as her at Animazement and I was too scared to even ask for a picture. That character was crazy effective as being terrifying.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Mike Hoffman said:
Lightknight said:

I think the most telling thing about this series is that Korra's first line was "I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it!" Sure, we're still in the world of Avatar but this is meant to be a completely different character. It allows for a new exploration and it's kind of refreshing to see a "super hero" story where the protagonist isn't a (relatively) perfect person or an anti-hero. Korra is far more realistic to me than Aang, and I loved Aang, but Korra isn't quite so destiny-laden and introspective. At the very least, I'd say the showrunners deserve respect for trying something instead of just making the new Avatar another Aang.
I don't need or want another Aang. I just want a main character that doesn't actively frustrate or annoy me. I actually want to be invested in the main characters and not secretly desire a large rock to fall on her head so we can get to the next Avatar already. With Aang, at least when he was incompetent he had the reason of being young and undisciplined. Korra has been in training her entire life and this is what we get? Brash and arrogant with a significant helping of incompetent bungling. Aang suffered with the power to destroy nations but the mentality for peace while Korra suffers having power with very little capability mentally to take advantage of it beyond what a regular master bender would be able to do.

I mean, just being likable would have gone a long way with me. But I do not sympathize with her and her moodiness. She's had a good childhood with regular training and her family is alive. As far as I can tell she has experienced next to no suffering and completely accepted her role as avatar as a toddler yet brooding is her personality trait? That just makes her out to be a brat and who knows, maybe that's the writer's intention but there's very little I find more annoying than a self-entitled brat who shuns wisdom for little to no reason.

As I stated, Zuko (sp?) at least had the internal conflict of a terrible family life and the desire to restore his honor by accomplishing feats on his own. That's why he was arrogant and shunned wisdom but learned to respect it over time. Korra just jumps back and forth from accepting and shunning wisdom whenever either is convenient. I'd have preferred her to just be an out of touch badass trying to learn how to interact with emotional people rather than a brash and overly emotional brat. So we just get some weakling trying to act tough some of the time but moping around and crying the rest of the time. It's like some sort of joke foil of stereotypical women. I'm honestly surprised that a group with the courage to have made so many positive female characters in the previous book went with this one here. Maybe they thought these internal conflicts would be enough to carry the majority of the show, but they're not.

But she has all the conflicts of a minor villain that Aang might have faced in slightly different circumstances. Someone with the raw talent to be dangerous but without the mentality and emotional fortitude to sustain and focus it. Are the writers poking fun at her being a girl? Seems offensive and yet the other female characters they've created have been superb. hmm

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
You gotta love when a series replaces plot and continuity with ever more powerful villians that will roflstomp the protagonist until they get bent-ex-machina at the end. I really can't believe this is written by the same people that have written The Last Airbender. At least Korra seems to continue her character development from where season one left off, so there is that.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
JPArbiter said:
I knew it would be the Combustion Woman from the trailer, but I'm still hoping for a return of Azula. I saw someone cosplaying as her at Animazement and I was too scared to even ask for a picture. That character was crazy effective as being terrifying.
Let me rephrase, I meant to ask if Combustion Woman WAS Azula. I mean we now know for sure she is not... but the build up with Zuko made me wonder until the name was dropped.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Lightknight said:
I get that perspective, it's just not one I share. I don't want to reduce this to a simple "that's just your opinion, man" but I kind of feel that's all that's going on. I absolutely adore Korra as a character and I really enjoy watching her struggle with her brash, stubborn arrogance. It's a very human trait and, for me, it's fun to watch someone this kind of personality work to reconcile that with being the Avatar.
JPArbiter said:
*snip*
Let me rephrase, I meant to ask if Combustion Woman WAS Azula. I mean we now know for sure she is not... but the build up with Zuko made me wonder until the name was dropped.
I hear you. Yeah, that would have been cool as hell, but the person in the trailer was far too young, you know? Still, maybe she (or any of these people) are the descendant of a former player.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
JPArbiter said:
*snip*
I hear you. Yeah, that would have been cool as hell, but the person in the trailer was far too young, you know? Still, maybe she (or any of these people) are the descendant of a former player.
Lets be honest, Azula would not age unless she allowed it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Mike Hoffman said:
Lightknight said:
I get that perspective, it's just not one I share. I don't want to reduce this to a simple "that's just your opinion, man" but I kind of feel that's all that's going on. I absolutely adore Korra as a character and I really enjoy watching her struggle with her brash, stubborn arrogance. It's a very human trait and, for me, it's fun to watch someone this kind of personality work to reconcile that with being the Avatar.
Right, I agree that it's certainly subjective. I just don't like wanting the protagonist to fail. But we'll see how things develop.

I find it entirely appropriate that she became a whittle baby in the spirit world. That's how I've viewed her for the entire series. She never grew out of that "I'm the avatar, deal with it" baby mode. Selfishness is yet another of the qualities we can add to her list. You may enjoy it, but it's an active distraction for me. I spend most of my watching of the series focusing on literally every other character.

Thankfully this show is filled with a great cast even if the lead role is a bust for me.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
JPArbiter said:
Mike Hoffman said:
JPArbiter said:
Yeah, from looking at things it looks like most of the people should still be alive. Aang definitely died young when we think of Korra's age (17-18)and the fact that Katara and Zuko are both still alive.

So she actually should still be alive and likely quite powerful if Zuko is any indication.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Lightknight said:
Mike Hoffman said:
Lightknight said:

I mean, just being likable would have gone a long way with me. But I do not sympathize with her and her moodiness. She's had a good childhood with regular training and her family is alive. As far as I can tell she's experience next to no suffering and yet brooding is her personality trait? That just makes her out to be a brat and who knows, maybe that's the writer's intention but there's very little I find more annoying than a self-entitled brat who shuns wisdom for little to no reason
You know their are other reason to be moody and immature other than having a bad family, or horrible tragedy. Like you said Korra has been in training her whole life being told she more important and more powerful than any one else but never actually getting to interact with anyone but her trainers really. What part of sitting around training being told no one is your equal but never actually getting to make friends leads to a mature individual, or some how is not short tempered or socially inept. Than running into the fact that she is not that great shattering that world view. To me she seems to have plenty of reason to be moody. Having a loving family does not automatically fix all your problems they are not the only thing that matter in you life, especially when you don't see them all that often as she would.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
zerragonoss said:
You know their are other reason to be moody and immature other than having a bad family, or horrible tragedy. Like you said Korra has been in training her whole life being told she more important and more powerful than any one else but never actually getting to interact with anyone but her trainers really. What part of sitting around training being told no one is your equal but never actually getting to make friends leads to a mature individual, or some how is not short tempered or socially inept. Than running into the fact that she is not that great shattering that world view. To me she seems to have plenty of reason to be moody. Having a loving family does not automatically fix all your problems they are not the only thing that matter in you life, especially when you don't see them all that often as she would.
Oh, I understand why she is moody, sure. I just said she doesn't have a justifiable reason.

She is the arrogant kid on the playground who talks smack and then gets humbled and is moody because they were humbled. Did you like that kid in school? I enjoyed humbling them, I did not like them. It was fun to see them think they were better than everyone else and then failing.

Korra's redeeming quality is that her getting humbled makes her want to get better. But she just keeps falling into the same arrogant trap every other battle. With Aang it felt like he was really growing and his future actions were informed by his previous actions and experiences. Korra has a spiritual enlightenment one moment and then immediately goes back to taking a blunt object to everyone.

Of all things, she is the dumb brash strong-guy archetype. That's not a good protagonist regardless of gender.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
First episodes actually made me hopeful: I unironically enjoyed the first and third episodes. What irked me in season 2 was that everybody made dumb decisions all the time, the normally capable Lin Beifong being a particular victim of the stupid. Korra actually seems to have most of her shit together now, so here's to hoping.

What does already annoy the piss out of me is Kai. I want to be proven wrong on this, but I am pretty sure his storyline has been done to death already.