Arkham Manor Comic Relocates Inmates To Bruce Wayne's Home

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Arkham Manor Comic Relocates Inmates To Bruce Wayne's Home

Batman's two newly announced ongoing series will see Bruce Wayne fund a school for teenagers and renovate his house for Arkham's inmates.

Rocksteady's Arkham City had an interesting premise for the time: Following the events of Arkham Asylum, Gotham officials choose to relocate Gotham's supervillains to a walled off section of the city. It doesn't take a Batman fan to realize the plan was completely insane, but apparently it wasn't the only option on the table. DC Comics' upcoming series Arkham Manor, for example, sticks Gotham's criminals in the one place where Batman is guaranteed to keep watch over them: a renovated Wayne Manor.

Arkham Manor, written by Gary Duggan with art from Shawn Crystal, is set shortly after a disaster at Arkham Asylum renders the facility unusable. In response, Bruce Wayne volunteers (or perhaps is strongly encouraged) to convert his family estate into a prison facility for Gotham's deranged maniacs. On the surface, that actually doesn't sound like a horrible idea. Wayne Manor is far more secluded from Gotham's streets than Arkham City, and Batman could easily keep watch at all times. But when inmates start turning up dead, Batman will clearly find himself with a personal stake in the investigation.

Arkham Manor will launch as an ongoing series on October 22, and it won't even be the only new Batman title that month. Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher, and Karl Kerschel will also kick off the teen drama Gotham Academy on October 1, set in a prep school funded by Bruce Wayne himself. Both stories should offer a unique take on Batman, although I expect Arkham Manor will turn out to be the much darker series.

Still, it's promising to see Batman work towards strengthening Gotham's presumably run-down public institutions. Now if only Gotham Academy could be renamed <a href=http://marvel.wikia.com/Xavier%27s_School_for_Gifted_Youngsters>"Professor Wayne's School For Gifted Youngsters".

[gallery=2798]

Source: Entertainment Weekly

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I don't know if this sounds incredibly awesome or incredibly stupid. It kinda sounds like X-Men, just with the Batman as professor X and Wolverine at the same time... and with all of the bad guys living on campus.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well it's not the worst idea they've ever had, but a mansion like that doesn't seem optimal for housing supervillains (some of them superpowered.).

I mean, I'm sure it has a good pre-existing security systems that make it easy to isolate it from the outside, but not the individual parts from each other, and you really want to keep the inmates separated when not under heavy supervision.

But by the sound of that's the problem they run into.

I'm not sure what's the point of it being Wayne Manor, story-wise?
Arkham was already gothic, so maybe the plot will have Batman's identity compromised?

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Soon people will remember DC's New 52 being 52 new Batman related books. Seriously, they've canceled a number of great original books yet create more and more Batman books. Nothing hopefuly, whimiscal, or colorful. It's all dark, grim and gritty from here on out. Hell, Nightwing dosen't even get a costume anymore. He's just some secret agent. Boring. It's as if New 52 was just DC hating itself and what it used to stand for. A way for them to look at the back log of history they have of colorful super heroes and kill all of it. No one gets to to exist unless you're realted to the bat family.

Mark my words: one day Batman will be run into the ground with stupid non sense like this.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
What if a convict manages to escape and while running away accidentally falls down a well and ends up in the Batcave? Yeah great idea Bruce.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
For Christ sake. What? Seriously this is going beyond the pale in ridiculousness. This is 80's sitcom and a Disney show. Does Arkham manor (fek me, that must of taken awhile to find that title from their collective backsides) come with a laugh track?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Wayne Manor, really? That sounds stupid. I doubt the manor is really built as prison. How would you separate prisoners for example? How many rooms does Wayne Manor have anyhow? It'd need a lot!

LobsterFeng said:
falls down a well and ends up in the Batcave?
Ah yes, we all remember when Little Timmy fell down into the batcave, right? Nobody wants that to repeat itself. What a mess!