Ms. Marvel #1-5 Review: Forget Being Normal, Be Extraordinary

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Ms. Marvel #1-5 Review: Forget Being Normal, Be Extraordinary

The first story arc of the new Ms. Marvel, Pakistani-American teenager Kamala Khan, is a masterful telling of a hero?s origin.

Read Full Article

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I don't know; I guess that 'normalcy' is part of the reason it's turning me off. It's just taking so 'long' to get anywhere.

I guess this could be just me, since I'm a huge Shounen Manga buff, that I want stuff to happen right from issue #1, but it just focusing on Kamala experiencing her powers. Not that's a bad thing or character development works against the story, it just feels like when I'm used to hearing 'superhero', I just want the comic to jump straight into the action.

But that could just be me.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm loving Kamala Khan. I'll admit, I'm still getting used to calling her Ms. Marvel, and moreso trying to remember to call Carol Danvers Captain Marvel, but I still like her, and I want more of her.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Okay this might sound irrational but hear me out. This book seems to be doing great (i keep meaning to read it) but I have this fear that i can't shake. What will happen to this Kamala when the creative team's run is over? What happens when this character has to interact with the Marvel universe rather than mostly keeping to itself like it is now? What happens when another writer inevitably takes over? I know this is how comics work but it still leaves me nervous how other writers will treat her.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
ArkhamJester said:
Okay this might sound irrational but hear me out. This book seems to be doing great (i keep meaning to read it) but I have this fear that i can't shake. What will happen to this Kamala when the creative team's run is over? What happens when this character has to interact with the Marvel universe rather than mostly keeping to itself like it is now? What happens when another writer inevitably takes over? I know this is how comics work but it still leaves me nervous how other writers will treat her.
Don't worry she will just be killed in a pointless crossover event in a really tasteless and mean spirited way for no reason before that happens.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
tf2godz said:
ArkhamJester said:
Don't worry she will just be killed in a pointless crossover event in a really tasteless and mean spirited way for no reason before that happens.
I hate hate hate hate HATE that there is a realistic chance you're right.

Jan 18, 2012
tf2godz said:
ArkhamJester said:
ArkhamJester said:
tf2godz said:
ArkhamJester said:
I hate hate hate hate HATE that there is a realistic chance you're right.
I'd be more worried if she was a DC character or in the Ultimate universe, but she's safer in the mainstream Marvel continuity.

All kidding aside, I do like this series so far. Its nice to see a new face in the superhero community, especially one with her background. I more worried about this series getting cancelled due to low sales.

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Legomaniac91 said:
I'd be more worried if she was a DC character or in the Ultimate universe, but she's safer in the mainstream Marvel continuity.

All kidding aside, I do like this series so far. Its nice to see a new face in the superhero community, especially one with her background. I more worried about this series getting cancelled due to low sales.
Yeah, Avengers Undercover has already been axed due to poor numbers. Hopefully that'll keep Marvel off the kid-kill trail for a while.

Ms Marvel is doing OK so far, though. Sold out of its first printing, good re-order activity and word of mouth, strong digital sales (so far as one can gauge such things, anyway), and relatively small drops between issues, especially considering that this is a brand new character. Hopefully the first trade will do just as well.

Couldn't happen to a more charming book, honestly. I've been enjoying it a lot.

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
I'm also enjoying it but it's really slow, I like her character building but I think it's taking too long. I hope that it accelerates a little bit so we can get a little bit more action.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ArkhamJester said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is kinda why I don't read comics

I guess when the creators run is over then thats when you stop reading

anyway I might as well pick this up whent he trade comes out, since DC's being an ass Marvel might be marginally better

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Vault101 said:
ArkhamJester said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is kinda why I don't read comics

I guess when the creators run is over then thats when you stop reading
If that were true, we'd not have any iconic heroes like Superman or Spider-Man (or any other huge number of famous superheroes), who haven't been written by their creators in ages (and some original comic book character creators have passed on). It IS however an issue of comics that if someone bad takes on a title, they can ruin it---but it by comics' same nature, someone else can also come along and fix it.

I do think ArkhamJester's concerns about "what happens to Kamala if she ends up being written by some insensitive douchebag?" are valid but the answer to that is -- we complain, we stop buying, and we hold Marvel accountable for their poor choice should they make one. However, I'm not going to avoid a good story just because there's an off chance it MIGHT turn into a bad story years from now.

AND ON THAT NOTE...

I am loving this title. It is a bit slow paced, as another poster alluded to, but I like that they are really taking time to build up her background, her life, her story and going through the steps of being a superhero slowly -- it's something that is all too often rushed and I am really appreciating the approach to include the character development. I love action, but all action no character development is boring to me, and the title is doing both (and getting better at balancing both as Kamala gets more and more established).

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I actually really like her as a character, I just have one problem with this series. The pacing which is awesome from an artistic standpoint is very Manga-esque, by which I mean it is paced slowly enough that it seems like it would continue for quite a while, but at a pricepoint of 3 dollars for what amounts to 20 pages and considering that a similarly paced manga would cost 5 (7-10 if you are in the states) for what amounts to 10 times the content, I'm feeling a bit like its too much of a premium.

I know its not manga, and I know I shouldn't have the same expectations, I feel the same way about amazing spiderman to be honest.

But I like Kamala, and I was never that into Ms. Marvel before so I'm game for this. And I'll keep reading until she is, as some have suggested, brutally murdered in a crossover event for no apparent reason.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm actually really interested in what'll happen when she inevitably gets rolled in with the rest of the heroes. Her powers alone would be a good point for character comparisons - she's easily the most versatile shape-shifter in the MU, essentially being Mr. Fantastic, Hank Pym, and Mystic all in one. If I remember right, Reed can stretch his own brain to become telepathic - maybe he could teach her that? Plus, it could be funny. I haven't read it, but the Runaways' "Power Princess" Molly has been known to beat Wolverine and gut-punch Punisher hard enough to cause internal bleeding. Who's to say she being a hero-worshipping geek couldn't be funny? And, well, what if she finally meets Captain Marvel? Admittedly, while I don't think she's in immediate danger, I think she could be on the chopping block at some point by virtue of being a size-changer, who I've noticed hold a disturbing pattern of getting killed whenever something "major" needs to happen (Black Goliath, Wasp [she got better apparently], Stature).

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Actually I also had a thought that I'd be interested to see how other artists work with her if she does start appearing in some crossovers. Her proximity to NYC makes her a good candidate for some Spider-man stuff.