First Promo Image of Superman From Dawn of Justice

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
First Promo Image of Superman From Dawn of Justice

SPOILER WARNING: He looks like Superman

USA Today has posted the first promotional image of Henry Cavill in his Superman costume for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Warner Bros big superhero crossover currently shooting for a planned 2016 release.

Though there had been rumblings, speculation and more than a little fan hope that Superman would be making a change of costume for this pseudo-sequel (possibly into something closer to his classic comic-book look) the uniform seen here appears to be largely identical to the one worn in 2013's Man of Steel: Muted shades of red, blue and yellow remain, as does the lack of the traditional red shorts. A previously released image of Ben Affleck as Batman (notably a black-and-white set photo and not a promotional image) showed the character wearing an outfit closer to that of the comics than in any previous film. There have been no official images, costumed or otherwise, of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

Directed by Zack Snyder, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice follows the events of Man of Steel and is all-but confirmed to be a prequel to a planned Justice League feature. The still-secret storyline is said to involve an uneasy first meeting for Batman and Superman and the emergence of a conflict with the supervillain Lex Luthor. In addition to Wonder Woman, other DC heroes are rumored to appear in cameo roles; with Game of Thrones' Jason Momoa having recently been cast as Aquaman.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/03/henry-cavill-batman-superman-movie-first-look/11310229/]

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Still looks like an angry brooding Superman, doesn't look particularly heroic.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I enjoyed Man of Steel, despite agreeing with a lot of it's criticisms, but I never had a problem with the costume, Khal Drogo as Aquaman though, that was news to me

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Honestly, I don't see what the problem with the costume is. Man of Steel had many many problems, but Superman's outfit was not one of them. Also, isn't it a bit silly to complain about a superhero having a slightly different costume, when most superheroes go through so many costume changes during their lifetime that it requires a wiki to keep track of it all? The costume is fine, the red shorts would look needlessly silly to uninitiated audiences, since their origin (carnival strongmen) has long since departed from the mainstream cultural consciousness and would simply come off as a guy wearing his underwear outside his pants.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Looks fine. It was a cool costume and it looks like a slightly evolved, better one from Man of Steel. The Man of Steel one was cool anyway.

I am fine with DCU having a different feel and aesthetic from MCU. There's room for a serious universe and a light hearted one, and DC has always seemed more serious than Marvel anyway so this isn't a problem for me. Also I hope Arrow fits in somehow with this DCU.

Of course everyone on here will hate it and decry that Superman and DC is ruined forever and Marvel is so much better.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Is it me, or has Mr Cavill's upper body grown considerably larger? In MoS he was pretty well built bit had a kind of wiry strength element to him. In this picture he's looking like he has a much larger upper body. Basically, he looks more like Superman.

Also the costume is still pretty lame.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah. That looks cheerful. Superman, the avatar of hope. Grey-shades and rain. We're gonna need a bigger facepalm.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I like having a darker take on the man of steel. We have already had plenty of cheesy, hammmy boy scout superman movies

My main issue with the upcoming film is no bryan cranston lex luther heisenburg

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Where did all the colours go?

Is that really what the costume looks like or did the marketing department go crazy with Photoshop again?

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Why does the background of this (what I assume is Gotham)looks like the city from "The Spirit"?

Is Frank Miller going to cameo at some point?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Dendio said:
I like having a darker take on the man of steel. We have already had plenty of cheesy, hammmy boy scout superman movies

My main issue with the upcoming film is no bryan cranston lex luther heisenburg
It's fine for Supes to star in a dark movie, but he himself shouldn't be dark. Supes being a boyscout doesn't make him hammy. Because Captain America is essentially a better movie Superman than Superman at the moment, and he isn't cheesy at all.

Granted I still go along with word of god that Man of Steel one had a super man in it, but he's not yet Superman, and the events of MoS lead him to becoming Superman, but I'll have to wait till Dawn of Justice for them to actually show that off. There's no reason for Superman /not/ to be a boyscout in this movie.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Jandau said:
Honestly, I don't see what the problem with the costume is. Man of Steel had many many problems, but Superman's outfit was not one of them. Also, isn't it a bit silly to complain about a superhero having a slightly different costume, when most superheroes go through so many costume changes during their lifetime that it requires a wiki to keep track of it all? The costume is fine, the red shorts would look needlessly silly to uninitiated audiences, since their origin (carnival strongmen) has long since departed from the mainstream cultural consciousness and would simply come off as a guy wearing his underwear outside his pants.
And the onsie isn't ridiculous?

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
He looks very Nolany. I wonder if he needs to find a bathroom.

Honestly, though, isn't "Dawn of Justice" about the silliest subtitles. It's like, bad video game subtitle bad.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Shiftygiant said:
Jandau said:
And the onsie isn't ridiculous?
Not really, no. It looks more like his pants and shirt match, the belt breaks up the "onesie". And even if it were a "onesie", it's still better than the underwear outside the pants...

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
The costume looks good. The muted colors clash less and there's no red underwear on the outside. Now if he could just lose the cape.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, he looks confused.
"Wait, where did my movie go? I though thiswas a sequel to MoS?"

The colour scheme looks dull, but it's not I expected more.
The basic design is otherwise nice though.