Diablo III For Consoles May Get no Post-Launch Support

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III For Consoles May Get no Post-Launch Support

Blizzard are still deciding whether or not to support Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition with post-launch patches.

One of the best things about Blizzard games is the steady stream of free, content patches. From Starcraft to Warcraft to Diablo, when you buy a Blizzard game, you can usually expect a plethora of post-launch support in the form of bug-fixing, content-adding patches. However, those of you eagerly awaiting Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition for the PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One may not be in for the same treatment Blizzard's PC playerbase has come to expect.

"We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch," said Blizzard poster Grimiku on the official forums [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13272817274?page=3#57], adding "E.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?"

He did confirm, however, that when the Ultimate Evil Edition ships on all platforms, it will include all of the updates from the PC version up to patch 2.0.5, and that there will likely be a "Day 1" patch to add in patch 2.0.6 content, too.

Currently, a rather substantial 2.1 patch for the game's PC version has been deployed on the Public Test Realm, which introduces new features such as Greater Rifts, Laddered Seasons, and Leaderboards - features console gamers may never see.

This doesn't bode well for those who prefer to mash rather than click, but can be somewhat expected considering Blizzard likes to give away post-launch support for free, and developers have had a hard time convincing Sony and Microsoft to let them give away free content in the past [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/l4d1-dlc-pricing-not-valves-decision].

Source: Battle.net Forums [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13272817274?page=3#57]

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Well if you expect me to buy a game that is not fully bug tested (which no game ever is) and then also tell me that I get no support for said bugs that show up.

Uhhh yeah no thanks.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well maybe this will shut the "CONSOLES ARE GETTING THE SUPEEREOR VERSUN U GUYSSSS!" crowd up if nothing else.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm just happy that it's coming to the PS3. I was afraid we were all going to be left out in the cold. Uh...it is still coming to the PS3, right?

Okay, I understand if they don't do patches adding in new content. I don't like it, but I will understand. However, if there are bugs--like game breaking bugs or trophy bugs--then Blizzard better be ready to patch those, otherwise this is going to be very ugly.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Posting a comment proves that you give a shit enough to tell people that you don't give a shit.

GIVING A SHIT-CEPTION!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, I kind of understand if they find it difficult to add the new content post launch, but not patching bugs would be just horrendous.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Well... if Blizzard plans to offer more of their games on consoles, then I guess the answer is clear. Shouldn't satisfying a new market of possibly loyal gamers cancel out the thought of wether or not go the extra mile?

And if they decide not to include new content via patches, then there's still the rumored second Addon they could put all the stuff into.

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
Doclector said:
Okay, I kind of understand if they find it difficult to add the new content post launch, but not patching bugs would be just horrendous.
Same company that, in 2012-2013, when players of world of warcraft reported lockups, flashes of light that were causing real world headaches, messed up world events, passenger mounts dismounting passengers, etc, had a lead developer tell everyone that was complaining of said bugs that they only wanted a single player game and should go play skyrim instead.

It's not surprising that they no longer find patching bugs or offering support for said bugs, a priority. Their new motto: "Suck as much money out of players as we can and do as little as we have to".

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
1) aren't current gen consoles supposed to have nullified such difficulties?

2) so apparently I have a choice of forced online for PC, or lack of updates for console

3) as much as I want to experience the story, I am almost too fed up to care...indeed, I have yet to play the game

4) I've lost the zeal I had for Blizzard, ever since they prioritized WOW to the exclusion of all else...(WOW never grabbed me)

Which means: while I want to care more for this game, while I am still interested in finishing the storyline...I will likely just watch a Let's Play on youtube, rather than deal with this crap. Sad thing is, I was totally prepared to buy it before the announcement of always-online.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Lovely Mixture said:
This would affect me if I gave a shit about Diablo III, or any Blizzard game for that matter.
Curious article to read, then take the time to post under then isnt it? Look at me gais I DONT GIVE A SHIT SOOOOOO MUCH! I don't give a SHIT! It must be true, because I'm swearing about how much I dont care!

There's also this article for a Blizzard game you might want to go and inform everyone there that you don't care either.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135890-Molten-Corgi-Pet-Coming-to-World-of-Warcraft-Warlords-of-Draenor

Or er...this one. I didn't see you in that one and I've been following quite closely:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135860-Warlords-of-Draenor-Will-Merge-Auction-Houses

In fact you've been slacking quite badly, I haven't seen you in any Blizzard thread aside from this one. In fact there must be more stuff you don't care about. I didn't see you in any of that either.

RazgrizRex

Jul 3, 2014
Blizard just isn't what it used to be :(
That name used to practically guarantee a quality product... how the mighty have fallen.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
RazgrizRex said:
That name used to practically guarantee a quality product... how the mighty have fallen.
Totally agreed. They used to be my #1 favorite video game company. I never even dreamed that the day would come that I would lose interest in their entire game library.

gorsameth

Nov 11, 2009
Good to see everyone is jumping on the hate train instead of considering if its maybe because of all the baggage developers have to deal with when deploying content to consoles.
The fact PC is getting updates and Console MIGHT not should tell you that perhaps, just maybe, its because of console reasons and not because Blizzard is evil.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Aeshi said:
Well maybe this will shut the "CONSOLES ARE GETTING THE SUPEEREOR VERSUN U GUYSSSS!" crowd up if nothing else.
No, it won't. It will make some of us say "Finally they'll feel what we are feeling now". But up until PC versions will get normal mouse support, normal options menu, normal key bindings (and possibility to re-bind them) screams about superior versions for consoles will not disappear.

RazgrizRex

Jul 3, 2014
Grape_Nuts said:
RazgrizRex said:
Totally agreed. They used to be my #1 favorite video game company. I never even dreamed that the day would come that I would lose interest in their entire game library.
Developers falling from grace seems to be a recent trend unfortunately (BioWare, DICE).
I remember having a lot of fun loosing most games in StarCraft 1 and Battlefield 1943 during LAN parties - ehhh, those were the days.
No you can't even play LAN in the new games :(

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
elvor0 said:
Lovely Mixture said:
This would affect me if I gave a shit about Diablo III, or any Blizzard game for that matter.
Curious article to read, then take the time to post under then isnt it? Look at me gais I DONT GIVE A SHIT SOOOOOO MUCH! I don't give a SHIT! It must be true, because I'm swearing about how much I dont care!

There's also this article for a Blizzard game you might want to go and inform everyone there that you don't care either.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135890-Molten-Corgi-Pet-Coming-to-World-of-Warcraft-Warlords-of-Draenor

Or er...this one. I didn't see you in that one and I've been following quite closely:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135860-Warlords-of-Draenor-Will-Merge-Auction-Houses

In fact you've been slacking quite badly, I haven't seen you in any Blizzard thread aside from this one. In fact there must be more stuff you don't care about. I didn't see you in any of that either.
Come now, you know that post was just to +1 their post count. That innocuous number is very important. Do you have any idea just how hard it is to boost one's e-peen these days?

Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm just happy that it's coming to the PS3. I was afraid we were all going to be left out in the cold. Uh...it is still coming to the PS3, right?
It is. I was worried too, since they hadn't mentioned the PS3/360 in any of the promotional material until the release date was announced a few weeks ago. Up until then, I was genuinely worried that Gen 7 was getting the shaft. Especially since I came very late to the party and picked up the PS3 version a mere couple of months ago.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Not really surprising. Other than the hellfire amulet, all of the upcoming content is going to be focused on PvEvP (leaderboards, seasons etc) and we've always known that the multiplayer on consoles was going to be pretty basic. Plus, consoles are notoriously difficult to do patch.

Rastrelly said:
But up until PC versions will get normal mouse support, normal options menu, normal key bindings (and possibility to re-bind them) screams about superior versions for consoles will not disappear.
Huh? The options menu is pretty extensive. Plus, the console version was only ahead, in terms of content, for a while because it adopted some of the changes that were in the works for the pre-RoS patch.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Scrythe said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
It is. I was worried too, since they hadn't mentioned the PS3/360 in any of the promotional material until the release date was announced a few weeks ago. Up until then, I was genuinely worried that Gen 7 was getting the shaft. Especially since I came very late to the party and picked up the PS3 version a mere couple of months ago.
Excellent! We shall hunt the Angel of Death with everyone else then. Let the crusading begin!

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
Rastrelly said:
But up until PC versions will get normal mouse support, normal options menu, normal key bindings (and possibility to re-bind them) screams about superior versions for consoles will not disappear.
Huh? The options menu is pretty extensive. Plus, the console version was only ahead, in terms of content, for a while because it adopted some of the changes that were in the works for the pre-RoS patch.
I was talking not about Diablo :) I meant those "wonderful" ports that usually get to PC. Say, Dark Souls. Or Legacy of Kain: Defiance. That stuff.