Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage - Rotten-Playing Game

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage - Rotten-Playing Game

A late in the game RPG on a console that barely had any, Aidyn Chronicles was originally released in 2001 and follows the quest of a young squire to defeat evil while curing himself of a deadly poison.

Read Full Article

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I've been looking for this game for a long time. I had it when I was a kid, and even then I realized there was a ton wrong with it, but I enjoyed the skillset, different characters, and combat, despite the environments being so poorly constructed I couldn't ever really tell where I was, where I was going, or what I could interact with.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Maybe I just have "bad taste", but I definitely enjoyed both Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles. Heck, AC was legitimately what I'd call a Nintendo Hard rpg for me. Since every rpg I've played after it did not have perma-character death if your party members died and that one wrong move and you'd end up fighting monsters five times your level early on. Heck, it gave you the ability to choose who you want in your party, not some pre-determined set.

And on a more minor note, the main character's a bard. >_> Troubadour I believe the skill set was called. I loved that.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Congrats on finding ANOTHER RPG I'd never heard of before.

The PS1/N64 was the era of gaming that I was a bit...lite...on, but I'm amazing ANY RPG on the N64 would have flown under my radar.

Oathfish

May 30, 2014
Don`t mean to be that guy, but this article could have used one more run with the editor...there were a couple of sentences that read poorly.

But, on to the actual subject. I, too, was a N64 owner and as such I had a similar experience watching all my friends with Playstations and PCs getting all the good RPGs. And this game...this game was absolute garbage. As desperate as I was, I couldn`t bring myself to play it then or now.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Quest 64 was good? I was under the impression it was....not so good. Or at least not so beloved.

Then again, I was more of a platformer kid, and didn't get into RPGs until I had a PC.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
I actually liked this game at the time. I really did have a lot of good ideas but the game had very poor execution. And even by N64 standards of the day it was hideous to look at.

I still put an embarrassing amount of time into this game but sadly my controller pak got corrupted most of the way through the game and just couldn't summon the will to start over. It was too depressing to thing that all of my progress was wasted

one thing I will comment on though is that I kind of liked that there was no music in the over world. It made a nice contrast to the cities where the was music. It made you get a real sense of "I'm in the wilderness". You knew you were close to your destination when you could hear the music slowly fade in.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Dude, did you just make a "Virtual Boy" comparison?

Seriously, man, don't go there. Might as well compare somebody's political views to Hitler or something. That kind of faux-extremism never goes down well.

On topic though - I never played this one but it sounds pretty bad. The worst kind of game actually - not so much terrible from a technical standpoint, as just completely lacking in any reason to exist or excite interest.
Gailim said:
I actually liked this game at the time. I really did have a lot of good ideas but the game had very poor execution. And even by N64 standards of the day it was hideous to look at.

I still put an embarrassing amount of time into this game but sadly my controller pak got corrupted most of the way through the game and just couldn't summon the will to start over. It was too depressing to thing that all of my progress was wasted

one thing I will comment on though is that I kind of liked that there was no music in the over world. It made a nice contrast to the cities where the was music. It made you get a real sense of "I'm in the wilderness". You knew you were close to your destination when you could hear the music slowly fade in.
Ah well, at least it had one fan. I wonder how well the game would hold up now though?

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I remember reading up on this game as a kid. It looked pretty awesome to me, but then I kept reading how bad it was. I eventually checked it out on emulator, and holy crap was it wretched. Wasted potential on something that could have been really cool. At least I had Ogre Battle 64 to keep me happy.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I'll be honest. I loved this game back in the day. There were a lot of good ideas in there, and I loved the fact that the story was really about saving the world from yourself.

Of course, the Story kinda turned into a big mess towards the end, but for about 75% or more it was pretty engaging. Looking back, yeah, it had issues, but I do feel like it did a lot right.

I also feel like it was one of the few games to date that balance Magic well. You could level up everything on all characters, but Magic abilities took A LOT more exp to level than other skills did. This however, was balanced by the fact that magic was exceptionally strong. That way, you got to feel very powerful using magic, but had to work at it and focus on it to be any good with it.

I also liked that it continues to be one of the few games that contains unique NPC companions that can die permanently. It was a nice touch.