Microsoft Lays Off Games for Windows Live General Manager - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Lays Off Games for Windows Live General Manager - UPDATED

Chris Early, the general manager of Microsoft [http://www.gamesforwindows.com/], possibly indicating a shift in the company's attitude toward the service.

Microsoft recently confirmed that it will be VentureBeat [http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1836] attempted to contact Early for comment but only received an automated response saying that his time at the company "has come to a close."

Games for Windows Live debuted in mid-2007 and was intended to help boost the PC gaming industry by providing a service similar to, and compatible with, Valve's [http://www.xbox.com/live/] competing service, has grown rapidly and become a hugely popular platform.

It's too early to predict what this signals for Microsoft's commitment to Games for Windows Live, if anything at all. It could be a sign that the company is stepping back from an operation that continues to flounder despite its best efforts, or it may simply be a necessary trimming of fat. With a bit of luck, Microsoft will make its intentions known in the very near future.

UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a statement addressing the layoff of Chris Early and the future of the Games for Windows Live platform. "Moving ahead, Microsoft will continue to invest in Windows as a first-class gaming platform through great Windows out of box experiences, our online gaming services including Games for Windows - LIVE, MSN Games, and Messenger games, and through new games for Windows developed by Microsoft Games Studios [http://www.microsoft.com/games/]," the company said.

"Our Windows gaming service efforts will be led by General Manager Ron Pessner, who is joining Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business," the statement continued. "He comes from within Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division. Working closely with Ron will be Dave Luehmann, a long time Microsoft games veteran and General Manager within Microsoft Games Studios, who will now be overseeing internal development and publishing for all Windows-based games."

Microsoft declined to comment on the reasons for Early's layoff "at this time."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Do you still have to pay to play online with Windows Live?
When GoW pc came out I took one look at that feature and wrote the system off, as a pc gamer I do not have to tolerate that shit.

I'm amazed anyone signs up to Windows live at all, according to the website it supports a grand total of 12 games. I assume there's more but the website shows 12.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think the biggest problem with GFW Live is that it's so goddamned confusing. The way it's distinct from, yet tightly integrated with, Xbox Live drives me absolutely nuts. It's also pretty much useless for anything beyond giving Gamercards to those of us who don't have Xboxes; I can add friends but can't actually talk to them unless I pay to upgrade my account to Gold level. There's not a hell of a lot else I can do, either.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, which I still think is a possibility. And that itself is kind of an indictment of the platform: I'm not as troubled by the fact that I can't do much on GFW Live as I am by the fact that I can't say for 100% that I just haven't been able to figure it out yet.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
"Microsoft will continue to invest in Windows yadda yadda yadda"

Hey, Microsoft, if this thing you've been doing for the last couple of years is "investing in PC Gaming":

PLEASE STOP!

Thank you

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
paketep said:
"Microsoft will continue to invest in Windows yadda yadda yadda"

Hey, Microsoft, if this thing you've been doing for the last couple of years is "investing in PC Gaming":

PLEASE STOP!

Thank you
Its really painful to think that the PC gamer is bound to this company, at times.