Warhammer 40K Goes LEGO in Epic Battle Build

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Warhammer 40K Goes LEGO in Epic Battle Build

Veteran builder Jerac has completed a Warhammer 40K diorama that'll make you wish the franchise would ditch mini-figures and take a turn toward LEGO town.

Warhammer 40K is somewhat infamous for being among the most expensive tabletop games you could possibly get into. Even ignoring some of the more expensive units, building an army is a proposition that's going to cost you a pretty penny. The price tags can get so hefty that you almost have to wonder why the game's many players don't just build their armies out of LEGO brick?

If that idea rolls your eyes, you may want to stop and take a gander at the recent work of Jerac, who you may also recall as the man behind an excellent <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134987-Star-Wars-Star-Destroyer-Recreated-in-40-000-Piece-LEGO-Build>LEGO Star Destroyer model. Jerac, who has devoted his time in the past to <a href=http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/239759>recreating Warhammer 40K units, recently put together a full-fledged <a href=http://imgur.com/a/ZDco7>diorama depicting a battle between opposing LEGO-fied armies. Among the units featured in the build are Land Raider and Predator tanks, a Dreadnaught, an Ork Killa Kan as well as a mess of Assault and Space Marines that we're assuming all cost less to build than they would have to buy officially from Games Workshop.

Setting aside all the price stuff however, it's just hard not to be impressed by the clear amount of work and attention to detail that was put into this build. It doesn't just look like a bunch of LEGO Warhammaer 40K units standing around. It looks like an actual battlefield. If nothing else, it's had the unfortunate effect of making us wish these were actual LEGO sets we could buy and bring home to build for ourselves. Take a look at it and let us know what you think.

[gallery=2820]

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/lego-warhammer-40k-battlefield-is-a-work-of-art-1601079211>Kotaku

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
What, a real life product that costs less to be made in Lego and is fully functional? Only Games Workshop could make something that's cheaper to be made in Lego. I wonder if the execs who see this are thinking "send this guy a cease and desist then make our own Lego sets and sell them for astronomical prices the would make even the God-Emperor blush." Imagine them charging $250-500 for something the size of a Leman Russ tank.

This diorama is pretty sweet, though. It almost makes we want to get into the actual 40K game or at least unbox my old Legos and try to build my own half-assed scene from a popular sci-fi series.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Holy crap I want that land raider so bad.

Seriously Games Workshop partner with lego and make this thing happen but keep your pricing team out of it please, thanks.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I just cannot recreate how he does his space marines. I always get hung up on the arms. If anyone knows please tell me! These are all so cool.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
This must be continued, I demand the imperial guard and titans. It's finally a way to build a Warhammer 40K army without breaking the bank.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Is it sad that my first thought is 'I wonder how long until GW sends him a cease and desist order?'

Tis quite awesome, though!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Siege_TF said:
People seem to forget how bloody expensive Lego actually are.
When was the last time you priced 40k stuff?

Magic:The Gathering is generally cheaper, and a 2 bottle a day OxyContin habit is cheaper than that.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Siege_TF said:
People seem to forget how bloody expensive Lego actually are.
As expensive as LEGO is, its got nothing on the prices of 40k models.

I really wish the Land Raider model was for sale, or at least the instructions for some of the models were available.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Games Workshop later sued for not using their official figures.

Also, it's awesome, but he should've used Angry Marines.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
Blood for the Blood god, Bricks for the Brick throne, I really like this and hope GW and lego can work something out

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Of course GW models are more expensive, Lego is made from plastic, and a Land Raider is made from...huh.

Well, at least GW got rid of expensive metal models, and then went to cheaper, lower quality resin Finecast, and increased the prices...

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Of course GW models are more expensive, Lego is made from plastic, and a Land Raider is made from...huh.

Well, at least GW got rid of expensive metal models, and then went to cheaper, lower quality resin Finecast, and increased the prices...
Lets also not forget about the Finecast models' hilarious quality control standards! Of the 5 units I've witnessed the unboxing of, two have been passable, one was nearly flawless, and two have required almost as much green stuff as the bloody model did resin! Even within boxes the tolerances swing wildly from good to horrid.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
"There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting nine-year-olds."

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
BRICKS FOR THE BRICK GOD! STUDS FOR THE STUD THRONE!!

Ahem... I got nothing more to add than my appreciation.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Very impressive! I'll bet the costs are at least comparable to GW prices though. Also the lego models look huge!