Cliff Bleszinski is Talking a Blue Streak ... Again

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Cliff Bleszinski is Talking a Blue Streak ... Again

There is something oddly familiar about the new Blue Streak announcement. We have seen it before.

Read Full Article

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
When I yelled to whomever wanted to her that Bleszinski was an hypocrite I was told to shut up and go away. I still maintain my stance.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My gosh. The bitterness.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure he can do that.

And hey, maybe the folks are who are into those kinda games will get two new entries.

Worst case scenario his game sucks and then his detractors get to feel smug. Win-win situation.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009

I'm looking forward to it, I loved the earlier Unreal Tournament games and for a time UT was just about the only game I played; if either game recaptures the magic of those games I'll be happy and I can't help but feel a smaller team might do a better job.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Hear, hear! Damn it Bleszinski. Friggin' knew you were going to pull something like this.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I know posting one word responses is wrong but I just want you to know that everything I am typing now is all fluff because there is only one word to describe how I feel about this post.

Amen.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Wow, someone is super butt-hurt, for relatively no reason.

The following is random speculation but then again so was this entire article so I think I am allowed.

As part of CliffyB's retirement package from Epic the my have been forced to sign a non-compete contract in which he would legally not be allowed to do any business that would compete with what Epic does for an amount of years setup in the contract. This kind of this is more common than you would think. Maybe CliffyB told everyone his plans as soon as he was legally allowed.

Maybe, Epic is the one that are the a-holes. Knowing the CliffyB's non-compete was going to expire maybe Epic announced the next Unreal Tournament 2 months before Cliffy was allowed to announce his next project to try and steal as much of his thunder as possible.

-----------end of Speculation---------------

Regardless I am pretty sure CliffyB can do whatever he wants in relation to starting a video game company and making a game.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
RoBi3.0 said:
Wow, someone is super butt-hurt, for relatively no reason.

The following is random speculation but then again so was this entire article so I think I am allowed.

As part of CliffyB's retirement package from Epic the my have been forced to sign a non-compete contract in which he would legally not be allowed to do any business that would compete with what Epic does for an amount of years setup in the contract. This kind of this is more common than you would think. Maybe CliffyB told everyone his plans as soon as he was legally allowed.

Maybe, Epic is the one that are the a-holes. Knowing the CliffyB's non-compete was going to expire maybe Epic announced the next Unreal Tournament 2 months before Cliffy was allowed to announce his next project to try and steal as much of his thunder as possible.

-----------end of Speculation---------------

Regardless I am pretty sure CliffyB can do whatever he wants in relation to starting a video game company and making a game.
This. Exactly this. Despite CliffyB's flaws (and there are many) most of us think he was the driving force behind UT being good. Without him, and given the whole 'for the gamers, by the gamers' approach Epic is doing, I'm seeing Epic putting minimal work into putting out tools to build whatever, and letting 'crowdsourcing' shape the game. Since 90% of crowdsourced gaming is crap, it's a probable attempt to put a final nail in the coffin of that type of game.

Frankly, I'm way more excited for Blue Streak than UT.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
What? It's a reference to UNREAL TOURNAMENT, not Epic. CB does not want to work for Epic. CB DOES however love Unreal Tournament. He MADE the bloody thing what it is today. I remember this actually. They were just gonna do some expansion for Unreal but CB came in and really pushed for Unreal Tournament. He has every right to reference his own work.

However, it does sound pretty similar to UT, that much is obvious. Perhaps he shouldn't make it F2P.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
If he can make a better game then isn't that a good thing?
I just don't see how him making a similar game is in any way a bad thing - it just means they both have to step up their game to be better than the other.

Sounds like the winners will be the players of whichever game turns out to be the most enjoyable.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Honestly never played that much UT so that reference flew right over my head. Yeah that does seem kinda suspect that he would choose that for a code name. AS for the rest he may be right and he may not, there really is no way to know what happened behind the scenes, so its just speculation on his part. In the end I hope they are both good because competition is good for games, otherwise you get games like Madden have been allowed to stagnate and squeak by with minor improvements.