New 52's Lobo Gets Ongoing Series, Tragic Backstory

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
New 52's Lobo Gets Ongoing Series, Tragic Backstory

It's okay, New 52 Lobo isn't just an archetypal assassin. He's got a mysterious, tragic past too!

While it hasn't always been popular among readers, I don't think DC's New 52 reboot is all bad. Its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11807-Comics-and-Cosplay-Comics-Collection-for-May-June-2014.7>Aquaman and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11807-Comics-and-Cosplay-Comics-Collection-for-May-June-2014.7>Batman books are absolutely top-notch, and even some of its stranger decisions <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127124-Justice-League-of-America-Moving-to-Canada>have a refreshing air of experimentation to them. That being said, if I had to choose any element of the New 52 that rankled me personally, it would be Lobo, a character so throughly fumbled that DC ended up having <a href=www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127144-DC-Comics-Reboots-Lobos-Reboot>to reboot him twice. The character bears little resemblance to the tongue-in-cheek parody we met in Lobo: The Last Czarnian, and is now the kind of super-serious, death-dealing assassin his predecessor once mocked mercilessly.

So imagine my surprise, almost a year after the character's re-relaunch, when I found out that DC intends to give this Lobo a brand-new ongoing series. Debuting in October under the creative team of Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun) and Reilly Brown (Cable & Deadpool), DC's New 52 Lobo will take the character on hyper-violent adventures across the stars and explain how he became a cold-blooded killer. Spoiler alert: These origins involve the tragic loss of his family. Gag.

"Violence is just one aspect of the character," Bunn told Comic Book Resources. "It's there, and it's something we are going to embrace in this series, but we'll also be exploring facets of Lobo that haven't really been brought into the spotlight. He had a life, a job, a family, a lover long before he became the cruel, devious man-hunter we'll see in this series. We're going to look at what shaped him into the coldblooded killer he is today."

Oh wait, it gets better. Apparently one of Lobo's motivating factors is that he's the absolute best at what he does, something we haven't seen in dozens of other anti-hero characters in the past. "Lobo doesn't think he's a 'good' guy, but he's pretty sure he's the 'best' guy for any given job," Bunn continued. "He's certainly an anti-hero, but something we're introducing in this series is Lobo's code. He follows a rather extensive code of honor."

Here's the problem: Most of these descriptions of the New 52 Lobo reboot seem to miss the point of what made the character so appealing. Lobo wasn't great because of his over-the-top violence; he was entertaining because that over-the-top violence exaggerated and mocked the glut of such characters popular at that time. From all appearances however, this Lobo is being played straight, ruthlessly dispatching enemies with little in the way of self-awareness. Perhaps I'm wrong, and this series will openly parody a different breed of anti-hero, but the old Lobo never needed a tragic backstory for audiences to engage with him.

Apparently Bunn had originally pitched a very different Lobo book: a series where Lobo teams up with the identity-stealing "Faux-bo" to have buddy cop adventures across the galaxy. DC shot down the concept, but I can't help but feel that brand of self-aware humor is sorely lacking in the New 52's current line-up. Here's hoping I'll be mistaken when Lobo launches on October 1st.

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53852>Comic Book Resources, via <a href=http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/07/07/comic-book-resources-announces-new-lobo-series>DC Comics

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Lobo from Superman TAS and Young Justice will always be my favorite version of the character.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
That's gotta be the laziest backstory I've seen since "OMG ALIENZ KILL THEM". But at least space invaders is fun.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
It's hard not to take shots at things like this. A once-parody becoming the thing it once mocked is like twelve flavors of sad.

I will say that Supergirl beating the crap out of Lobo when she got a red lantern ring was my favorite thing to happen to the Czarian lately.

Dec 14, 2009
Oh wow, they actually went through with it.

Guys, they went through with it.

I didn't think they'd go through with it!

This is hilarious!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
It sounds like someone at DC really wants to a serious Lobo story... or at least that's the only explanation as to why they keep bringing this up...

So, get it out of their system in a one shot, then have the original Lobo brutally murder that version (claim it was a clone with implanted memories or something) and resume his status as the DC version of Deadpool.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
I thought whiping out your own race to be the only one was a tragic backsto...wait do you think they'll go full Kratos on him?! That would be even better :D.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, my only experience with Lobo was the Superman 90s animated series. I was under the impression that he was supposed to be a parody character. You know, he was supposed to be FUN! A merciless mocking of 90s anti-heroes. He takes the piss on self righteous douche bags who act like they're doing the right thing by just being a good for nothing sleezeball who runs around blowing shit up for no reason other than it amuses him. And he's hilarious!

How are they fucking up so bad!?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
More to the point, why does the once bad ass biker built like brick shit house now look like every single gary stu self insert character that ever happened ever? D:

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
As long as DCUO isn't going anywhere near this 52 thing I'm still hoping for the 90's Lobo reboot to be added to that MMO.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Oh no! Another god like being with issues!

DC comics needs a new slogan: DC Comics: Because gods get sad too sometimes... oh and we make Batman too!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Kameburger said:

DC comics needs a new slogan: DC Comics: Because gods get sad too sometimes... oh and we make Batman too!
No, DC's slogan is more like "We make Batman! And some other heroes too."

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
IT HAS BEEN

ZERO

DAYS SINCE DC HAVE DONE SOMETHING STUPID

They couldn't have missed the point any harder if they tried.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Kenbo Slice said:
Kameburger said:

No, DC's slogan is more like "We make Batman! And some other heroes too."
You know what your right. Something like that or "We won't touch Batman so please don't hurt us!" would be more appropriate.

RazgrizRex

Jul 3, 2014
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
IT HAS BEEN

ZERO

DAYS SINCE DC HAVE DONE SOMETHING STUPID

They couldn't have missed the point any harder if they tried.

Why won't DC just hire Coelasquid to do the Lobo comics. I'm sure she could do Lobo justice - at least on the humor front.

...I'll miss the penguins :(

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
The Lobo from Superman TAS and Young Justice will always be my favorite version of the character.
Heck yeah that will always be who Lobo is in my mind. This new version is like they took every cliche in the book and then played them straight rather than as a satire of it.

Seriously I rarely buy comics but if DC actually did one with the old lobo coming back and brutally killing the new one I would buy that ina heart beat! This is why comics are stuck in a rut, because when they try to do something "new" they couldn't miss the point harder if the point was in another plane of existence.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is that the shortest time ever to reboot a rebooted character? It must be a new record?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I get the fun of new interpretations of characters, but their comes a point where it's not a new interpretation, it's just a straight up new character with someone elses name who magically made the other person disappear when he came into existence.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Why do all comic characters need tragic pasts?

Also, DC comics new slogan: Hey creators and fans, how 'bout you go fuck yourselves?