Get Excited for Sharknado: The Video Game

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Get Excited for Sharknado: The Video Game

It's happening again. For the first time. A Sharknado video game.

Sharknado just won't let up! Not only is there a sequel to the Syfy Original Movie that no one--not even Syfy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135085-Sharknado-2-The-Second-One-Trailer]--expected to blow up like it did, there will now be a Sharknado: The Video Game.

The game will be an endless runner and is being developed for iOS by Canadian studio Other Ocean Interactive. Other Ocean is responsible for titles like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the Xbox Live Arcade and Super Monkey Ball for the iPhone.

The game puts you in the hands of Fin, the protagonist of the films, as he makes his way through shark-infested tornadoes... because what else would it be about? You'll be able to bounce off the backs of tiger sharks, slash sharks with a broadsword, and dive into the heart of a shark with a chainsaw.

The game is set to release in the summer sometime before Sharknado 2: The Second One is scheduled to premiere on July 30th on the Syfy channel.

Majesco Entertainment is publishing the game. Other Ocean designer Frank Cifaldi is ecstatic about this opportunity, "When Majesco approached us about making a Sharknado game, we said 'yes' before they'd even finished asking." Cifaldi says we can expect the game to be in the same vein as the source material, "The game we came up with is very much in the spirit of the films: ridiculous, overblown, yet oddly sincere. We can't wait for fans to sink their teeth into it."

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/sharknado-the-video-game-announced]

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
A movie that sets out to be awful isn't as fun as a movie that was trying really hard to be something. There has to be a presence of an artistic soul for a truly bad movie to be good. If you are just trying to do it, it isn't really that fun.
Therefore, not excited for a sequel or a game. However, seeing as how popular Goat Simulator was, I am sure people will eat it up.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Clive Howlitzer said:
A movie that sets out to be awful isn't as fun as a movie that was trying really hard to be something. There has to be a presence of an artistic soul for a truly bad movie to be good. If you are just trying to do it, it isn't really that fun.
This right here. The description of Sharknado as "oddly sincere" is among the more blatantly misleading bits of marketing I've seen recently.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Forgive me but what is a "endless runner"? I'm not very up on iOS genres sorry

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
Darks63 said:
Pretty much Temple Run, there is an endless, procedural generated path for the character to run down. Normally the controls are limited to changing lanes and jumping (swipe left or right, or swipe up). Path is littered with obstacles that you may crash into, ending the run. Coin collection nonsense may apply, may be completely free with ads, or with some freemium stuff like extra lives for a run or something similar.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know what, stupid as it sounds, I would've been interested if this had been a fully-fleshed out game for consoles.

I'm not quite sure what it would entail, but I'd have been all over it.

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Or to phrase it in a metaphorical manner: A man who trips and falls with his face into a pile of dogshit and tries to act like nothing happened is funnier than a man who actively goes out of his way to rub shit in his face in an attempt to imitate the former.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
Therefore, not excited for a sequel or a game. However, seeing as how popular Goat Simulator was, I am sure people will eat it up.
This a thousand times yes!

It's a paradox really, where they are trying too hard in a very lazy fashion. Is it really bad if it knows it is? Nor is it smartly written to be a satire either.

It's just "bad bad".

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
sir neillios said:
Darks63 said:
Pretty much Temple Run, there is an endless, procedural generated path for the character to run down. Normally the controls are limited to changing lanes and jumping (swipe left or right, or swipe up). Path is littered with obstacles that you may crash into, ending the run. Coin collection nonsense may apply, may be completely free with ads, or with some freemium stuff like extra lives for a run or something similar.
So its a beat your highest score type game and not anything with a story or end game got it.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I guess the article is missing a word or something? Cause i'm pretty sure this company didn't develop or publish Super Monkey Ball or Castlevania Sotn :p.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I think they missed a trick here. It was the perfect opportunity to create a substandard Katamari Damacy clone instead of a substandard Temple Runner clone.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
I guess the article is missing a word or something? Cause i'm pretty sure this company didn't develop or publish Super Monkey Ball or Castlevania Sotn :p.
I was looking in to it and not really sure this is right (didn't look too hard) but I think they just ported the 2007 xbox360 version of SotN. Didn't look into Monkey Ball, but probably the same type of thing.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Unless its a game where you suck up sharks while playing as the tornado, then not interested. Whats that game where you start as a robot that rolls around getting stuck to objects in the game world? Now that game but as a playable tornado sucking up sharks and doing more damage to enemies the more sharks you suck up would be good. :)

Captcha was Nutrition. lol

Apr 17, 2009
Is there a bonus level where you get to play as the sharknado? Just twirling about a city hoovering up people to be devoured and smashing buildings? Because if not, then no deal

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Stabby Joe said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
This a thousand times yes!

It's a paradox really, where they are trying too hard in a very lazy fashion. Is it really bad if it knows it is? Nor is it smartly written to be a satire either.

It's just "bad bad".
No way its like the Mike Myers school of comedy, once you point out you're doing something poorly is becomes quality!... yeah I don't understand why people like this sort of ironic movies made to have no higher aspiration than to be complete shit, and no making money is not higher aspiration.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
The most recent Terraria update actually has a special staff [http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tempest_Staff] that summons a miniature Sharknado that follows you around and attacks enemies with sharks.

So we already have a Sharknado game.

Err. Sort of.

gittonsxv

Mar 29, 2011
we all know this is going to suck but will it have the charm of a bad movie or just be bad to play?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I think it will be an average iOS game (if the gameplay is average). Mobile games generally have a much less serious style than console and PC games; so just being a ridiculous iOS game has much less impact than being a ridiculous PC or console game.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, but unless Bruce Campbell's in it, owning sharks with a shotgun and lampshading the whole concept here, I don't want any of it on me.

Oh, and would the Escapist drop Citizen's Bank alresdy? I don't need a bank. I've got one.