Aug 18, 2012
Steam In-Home Streaming: Getting Some Distance

Time to get Steam-y on the couch.

Read Full Article

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Sleekit said:
any chance you could tell us the macbook specs ?
just out of interest.
Sure. It's got a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, and an Intel GMA 950 integrated chip. I streamed it using both OS X 10.7 and Windows 7, the only difference being the latter supports the 360 pad better.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Huh. I tried the streaming setup on my Windows 7 laptop, which has similar specs, and the video decoding produced way too big of a delay to be workable. Even when I turned the resolution down to a more reasonable 720p. I would have put it down to the inherent superiority of MacOS at video decoding until you mentioned trying it in Windows 7 as well.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
I dont see why a mouse and keyboard is impossible on the couch. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard I use for that. I put the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the arm of the couch. It is perfectly comfortable for me. I even kick out the foot rest for a lazy stance that is great for extended PC play sessions

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
So I wonder...
If I go on vacation, and proxy my laptop through my home-router, could this in theory still work from the desktop? Not likely all that well of it did, just wondering if it would work to any degree. Sorry, I'm rather new to this concept despite people doing VPN's for quite a while for a wide range of purposes.
Alternatively, is there a better way to game with a remote work-horse?

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Ajarat said:
So I wonder...
If I go on vacation, and proxy my laptop through my home-router, could this in theory still work from the desktop?
Usually, those VPNs make a distant machine appear like it's on your local LAN. It would work, but I imagine the ping would be through the roof. Then again, this is exactly what OnLive used to do, and it got pretty good latency out of it.

xGrimReaperzZ

Dec 8, 2013
It's a good feature to have, but it's not something i can ever find use for as my PC is in my living room and is always connected to my TV via a long (well-hidden) hdmi cable so i can switch from my monitor to my TV with by pressing CTRL+P (and choosing the setting that i'd like) and turning on the TV with my remote, started playing co-op games a LOT.

I have been playing Magicka on my monitor with my friends playing it on the tv.. (They're clueless about the fact that it's much easier to play that game with a keyboard and mouse)

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
I really love the streaming feature.

I have an Intel NUC I5 running win 8.1 and XBMC for media stuff.
I3 would do for that, but the I5 has a better graphics adapter.
and with this streaming feature i am glad i did.

I do agree, there is a just barely noticeable lag in the controller, but it's very playable and to be expected.

Only, in some family situations it may be hard to explain why you need both the PC and TV at the same time.

But i do think Valve shot themselves in the foot(or in thee pc builders foot).
This feature fills some (if not a lot) of the demand of a Steam Box.
The price of a just average one was quite steep.

nice tip:
In XBMC i use a add-on that can load Steam from XBMC and on quitting steam restarts XBMC.
If you own a small windows based media center, this is a must have.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157499
Not sure about Linux or mac, but on win 8.1 it works like a charm.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Question, will games that are windows stream to a mac? There's a couple games that I would really like to play while chilling in the living room every now and then :p

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
prpshrt said:
Question, will games that are windows stream to a mac? There's a couple games that I would really like to play while chilling in the living room every now and then :p
yes, the client computer isn't running the games just displaying them.
If the server is running windows you sould run windows only games just fine.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I gave in-home streaming a try when the closed beta launched but my crap router couldn't even handle the most basic lo-res games. I finally gave in and ran an hdmi and usb cable through my floor and to my TV. Couch gaming at 1080p, 60fps is a woderful thing.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Jeroenr said:
prpshrt said:
yes, the client computer isn't running the games just displaying them.
If the server is running windows you sould run windows only games just fine.
Sweet! At last I'll be able to play torchlight 2 on my mac lol (bootcamp sucks )

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ummm... What router are you using? I read the article twice and did not see you mention that. From my in-home streaming experience that makes a HUGE difference. I picked up a med-high end Cisco to replace my aging Netgear and have been running clear and quick since then.

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
Alex Baas said:
I dont see why a mouse and keyboard is impossible on the couch. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard I use for that. I put the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the arm of the couch. It is perfectly comfortable for me. I even kick out the foot rest for a lazy stance that is great for extended PC play sessions
This has been my go-to position for PC gaming for years. The arm of the couch is perfect height, and the lazyboy seat on the couch makes for the most comfy gaming ever.