South Park to be Available For Free in Its Entirety, Only on Hulu

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
South Park to be Available For Free in Its Entirety, Only on Hulu

All 17 seasons of South Park will be available completely free to stream on Hulu.

Popular video streaming service Hulu announced at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Los Angeles today, that it will be the exclusive streaming home for all seasons of South Park. The exclusive, multi-year licensing agreement means that all 17 current seasons of South Park will be available completely free of charge via the service, from now until the premiere of season 18 this fall (September 24).

"South Park has revolutionized TV and pushed boundaries with unparalleled topicality and daring humor," said Craig Erwich, Head of Content, Hulu. "South Park has been one of the top ten most popular shows of all time on the platform. We're thrilled to offer the series to fans in its entirety."

When season 18 does premier, fans will have next-day access to the episodes on both Hulu and Hulu plus, while SouthPark.cc.com will continue to have all seasons of South Park until season 18 starts, at which point Hulu and SouthPark.cc.com will have a revolving selection of free episodes available.

"This is a natural partnership for us," said South Park creators Matt Parker and Trey Stone. "We are excited that the entire library will be available on Hulu and that the best technology around will power South Park Digital Studios."

While I'm sure this is fantastic news for all our American viewers, as an Australian, this doesn't really change much, as all I have to look forward to is a whole bunch of "this video is not available in your country" messages.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/13/hulu-becomes-exclusive-home-for-streaming-south-park]

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
If it's only on Hulu, it's not free then. Besides, that's what South Park Studios is for! And if they DON'T have 200 and 201 then it'll be a double failure to me.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
While I'm sure this is fantastic news for all our American viewers, as an Australian, this doesn't really change much, as all I have to look forward to is a whole bunch of "this video is not available in your country" messages.
To bad there isn't way to hide your location online. Somebody should really invent that. Like a private network, but completely virtual. Hmm...

But yeah, they have already been online for quite a while at South Park Studios. Doesn't really change much

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I thought that they already had episodes online at South Park's website? Why would they give them all to Hulu when that just locks out anybody not in the USA?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Trey and Matt have always been super chill about people watching south park wherever they care. Hell I recall it being one of the most pirated things on the internet back when everyone was using things like Kazaa and Limewire.

And their reaction was pretty much: 'Okay cool.'

So in light of that, when I was old enough to manage my own money I bought a boxset once because consumer trust must be rewarded. I like being treated like a human enough to do that.

So this being free on Hulu is pretty much an 'okay whatever' state of affairs, they offer their episodes free on their website for the US.

...Not so kind to their international customers but that's because local law taxes them up the butts, and they can't share the US domain in the same breath. Sucks.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
otakon17 said:
If it's only on Hulu, it's not free then. Besides, that's what South Park Studios is for! And if they DON'T have 200 and 201 then it'll be a double failure to me.
That's pretty much my big question about this. I've never even SEEN 201, and I only saw 200 once...not that I'm getting Hulu in any case, but is there any word on including the two most controversial episodes?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
otakon17 said:
If it's only on Hulu, it's not free then. Besides, that's what South Park Studios is for!
No... Hulu's free service will have 'em too; this doesn't require Hulu Plus. At least until the season 18 premiere, at which point south park studios won't have the whole series either; both it and Hulu will have the most recent episodes, with older episodes on a rotation rather than the complete series. They haven't said whether Hulu Plus will retain access to the whole library or whether it'll be on the same rotation as free Hulu.

I looked, and didn't see 200 or 201 on there. That makes me a sad panda. Surprisingly, though, Hulu does have Cartoon Wars.

P.S. Thanks

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
They lied; "Super Best Friends", "200" and "201" are still not on Hulu or Hulu+. I am outraged at this false advertising. I might sue them for lying...

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
otakon17 said:
200 and 201 were terrible episodes no matter what the controversy is around them. Hastily written and completely self-referential trite, not a funny beat among them, and I watched the two as they aired. I'm glad those two horrible episodes were purged from the episode lists. The ending of 201 and the whole arc of the two episodes was needlessly provocative and picking a fight with a Comedy Central. Now if only Cartoon Wars could also be purged from the episode list. That whole arc just seemed really dumb and petty.

Mr.Mattress said:
They lied; "Super Best Friends", "200" and "201" are still not on Hulu or Hulu+. I am outraged at this false advertising. I might sue them for lying...
200 and 201 were never shown again or included in home video sets, and South Park Studios took the Super Best Friends down as well, they haven't aired it in years. Shame because it was a decent episode. Luckily I have the 5th season on DVD with the episode on it. That being said, they are only omitting what has already been purged from the air and other sources.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Steven Bogos said:
To bad there isn't way to hide your location online. Somebody should really invent that. Like a private network, but completely virtual. Hmm...

But yeah, they have already been online for quite a while at South Park Studios. Doesn't really change much
I know what a VPN is. I shouldn't have to use one.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Well considering South Park Studios has never been viewable in Australia, this changes absolutely nothing for me.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
WELL GO ON! SUE THEM!

But seriously, I also never got to see 200 or 201 and I am still significantly bothered by the unavailability of the episodes.

The Cartoon Wars was and still is one of the best entertainment media commentaries they've done and it's utterly pathetic that its commentary still rings true today.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Steven Bogos said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Steven Bogos said:

I know what a VPN is. I shouldn't have to use one.
Ditto. It is so damn frustrating when there are oodles of shows that advertise themselves as available to watch online (on Canadian channels no less) and there are no episodes available, at all. Going to the U.S. versions gets you rejected immediately. I mean, WAT? You know copyright laws are pretty bad when you actually have to negotiate on individual capsules on the ISS! XD

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
South Park Studios doesn't have 17 seasons worth of every single episode? Seems I really have to dig through proxies if I ever want to watch them in order.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
I have no idea why people are talking like this is an improvement. South Park Studios already had every episode for free. Unless I'm missing something, all this does is (once season 18 starts) limit free users to a 'selection of episodes' instead of 'all of them' like it used to be.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Often said:
I have no idea why people are talking like this is an improvement. South Park Studios already had every episode for free. Unless I'm missing something, all this does is (once season 18 starts) limit free users to a 'selection of episodes' instead of 'all of them' like it used to be.
This. It's a massive downgrade and I won't be able to follow SouthPark anymore like I'm used to.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Does this mean season 18 won't be available at southparkstudios.com? If so, this is bad news for everyone outside of the US.
I could use a proxy or VPN but that would make the streaming very slow.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Sounds more like a downgrade to me, considering that there's already a site that offers every episode for free, and officially to boot.

Also, what's with episodes 200 and 201 that got them banned/removed?

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Covarr said:
otakon17 said:
If it's only on Hulu, it's not free then. Besides, that's what South Park Studios is for!
No... Hulu's free service will have 'em too; this doesn't require Hulu Plus. At least until the season 18 premiere, at which point south park studios won't have the whole series either; both it and Hulu will have the most recent episodes, with older episodes on a rotation rather than the complete series. They haven't said whether Hulu Plus will retain access to the whole library or whether it'll be on the same rotation as free Hulu.

I looked, and didn't see 200 or 201 on there. That makes me a sad panda. Surprisingly, though, Hulu does have Cartoon Wars.

P.S. Thanks
Hulu's 'free' service is going away.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/south-park-to-move-behind-hulus-paywall-and-end-free-streaming/

"The big change is the paywalling of past episodes. After September 24, free Hulu users and visitors to the show?s official site will only be able to watch "a revolving selection of free episodes." Unlimited access?which today is free?will only be available for Hulu Plus users."