Weekend Box-Office: Big Dawn For Apes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Weekend Box-Office: Big Dawn For Apes

Many monkeys make mucho money

Buoyed by a largely empty new-release schedule and overwhelmingly positive reviews, Dawn of The Planet of The Apes is looking to end the weekend with a projected gross as high as $74 million - not bad for a movie whose top-billed star is a CGI chimpanzee created through motion capture.

The only other new feature of note was the limited release of Richard Linklater's independent feature Boyhood, a drama filmed in pieces over a period of 12 years in order to accurately simulate the growth and aging of it's main characters. The film had an impressive per-screen U.S. average of around $64,000.

Analysts are watching next week with interest, as a large number of mid-level studio features (including The Purge: Anarchy, Disney's Planes: Fire & Rescue and Sex Tape) are crowding into the end of July in hopes of beating an unusually blockbuster-heavy last leg of Summer, with August expected to be dominated by a combination of Hercules, Guardians of The Galaxy the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot and Expendables 3; along with "dark horse" entries like Lucy and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/box-office-preview-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-boyhood/#more-768224]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice to hear Apes did well as it's always good to see a well regarded movie actually make money, but it's a movie I just can't find any interest in at all. I didn't see the first one (or the originals for that matter) and I just can't bring myself to care regardless of how many times I've seen the trailer.

Definitely seeing Guardians and Expendables 3 in August though, with a chance of Hercules if I hear some positive things about it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Definitely seeing Guardians and Expendables 3 in August though, with a chance of Hercules if I hear some positive things about it.
Hercules does look silly... the good kind of silly and Guardians is a no brainer, gotta see where the Marvel star ship's a going.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Expendables 3?!

Christ on crutches! (More like "the Cast on crutches" right? ...because they're old.)
I just don't understand the appeal of these flicks.

I mean, I'm not dense, I get what they're going for.
Hey, dudes who grew up with grainy VHS Cannon and Golan Globus low budget action flicks! We got a bunch of your favourite leathery knuckleheads together in one movie!

Plot? Fuck that noise, come see who showed up for a late career pay cheque!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Diddy_Mao said:
Expendables 3?!

Christ on crutches! (More like "the Cast on crutches" right? ...because they're old.)
I just don't understand the appeal of these flicks.

I mean, I'm not dense, I get what they're going for.
Hey, dudes who grew up with grainy VHS Cannon and Golan Globus low budget action flicks! We got a bunch of your favourite leathery knuckleheads together in one movie!

Plot? Fuck that noise, come see who showed up for a late career pay cheque!
I think that was the actual promotional material for the first and second.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
While the box office says nothing about the quality of a film it's still nice to see a summer movie with some story and character going for it have a nice opening weekend. If we want more than turn your brain off don't think about anything to enjoy it type films then films that aren't mindless need to make money for the studios to make more films for people who can think and enjoy action at the same time.