First Official Ultron Image Drops. And It Doesn't Suck.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
First Official Ultron Image Drops. And It Doesn't Suck.

Now we know just how sinister the film's villain looks. Spoiler: it's kind of great.

With one week to go before everything on the Internet grinds to a halt to accommodate the marketing juggernaut otherwise known as San Diego Comic-Con, Entertainment Weekly has primed the pump with an exclusive preview of Avengers: Age of Ultron. The first of what is certain to be a mountain of such previews - several weeks back a lot of journalists were flown out for a closer look; most of them are still under embargo - it gives us our first official look at that film's villain, the android called, well, Ultron.

I'll admit it, I'm probably not the most honest critic when it comes to these films. With the exception of the execrable Iron Man 2, even the most flawed entries in the series have been a delight. And so it is that my saying "HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS AWESOME" should be taken with a huge grain of salt. But, you know, holy crap this looks awesome. I'm impressed by the way the design of Ultron's robot body isn't trying to run away from how he looks in the comics, but - and I admit I don't particularly love how Ultron currently looks in said comics - still manages to give it a live action polish without making it too serious.

The story will differ sharply from the 10-issue "Age of Ultron" miniseries - the production has essentially taken the main villain and the title and nothing else - but it will involve, as you can see from the cover, Ultron creating an army of Ultron robots to do, well, something evil, obviously. In the MCU, Ultron is an AI created by Tony Stark (rather than by Hank Pym, since, as Devin Faraci notes on Badass Digest, Hank won't show up until Ant-Man) to assess threats. Fortunately, Ultron soon goes a bit crazy and develops a mommy/daddy complex [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134003-Joss-Whedon-Is-Making-Avengers-2s-Ultron-Sound-Awesome], just as god (and Marvel Comics) intended.

So here's something else: as you know, Paul Bettany, who already voices Tony Stark's AI assistant J.A.R.V.I.S., will also be lending his voice to Vision, The Avengers' android member who eventually ends up in a relationship with The Scarlet Witch. In the comics, Vision is created by Ultron (his brain based on that of Wonder Man's), but he's eventually convinced to rebel against his creator. I am now placing the odds at 1:1 that Vision and J.A.R.V.I.S. will be the same character. My guess - and obviously you've all drawn the same conclusion - is that when Ultron rebels against Tony Stark, he'll end up corrupting the J.A.R.V.I.S. program and placing it into one of his robotic soldiers. No doubt contact with Tony and, probably, meeting Scarlet Witch during the course of the film will end up bringing him back over to fight for The Avengers.

So what do you think about the movie version of Ultron, readers? Sound off in comments. In the meantime, below enjoy a larger version of the EW cover, along with a page from "Age of Ultron" to compare/contrast.

[gallery=2863]

Source: Badass Digest [http://www.ew.com/ew/].

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wow, some folks really don't like Iron-Man 2.

OT: Ultron looks bad-ass although, personally, I would have preferred the gold finish.

WaltIsFrozen

Apr 11, 2014
"In the MCU, Ultron is an AI created by Tony Stark (rather than by Hank Pym, since, as Devin Faraci notes on Badass Digest, Hank won't show up until Ant-Man) to assess threats. Fortunately, Ultron soon goes a bit crazy and develops a mommy/daddy complex, just as god (and Marvel Comics) intended."

Has this been confirmed?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To say the least, he's impressive looking. I kind of glad he doesn't have a big gaping mouth has always has.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
WaltIsFrozen said:
"In the MCU, Ultron is an AI created by Tony Stark (rather than by Hank Pym, since, as Devin Faraci notes on Badass Digest, Hank won't show up until Ant-Man) to assess threats. Fortunately, Ultron soon goes a bit crazy and develops a mommy/daddy complex, just as god (and Marvel Comics) intended."

Has this been confirmed?
Yes. HOWEVER I wouldn't be shocked if we get a Hank Pym cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron in which it's revealed maybe he works at Stark Industries, or (since hank Pym is being played by Michael Douglas, so probably he doesn't work for Stark) that the technology behind Ultron was derived somehow from work Pym did. Surely, they'll set up Ant Man in Avengers 2 in some way. But officially, Ultron is created by Tony.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Damn. That does look pretty cool.

And...wait...Jarvis' voice actor is also going to be playing Vision? Vision is gonna be in this movie? HELL YES!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jarvis becoming Vision would be AMAZING if done right. I know it's just you saying that, because of the voice actor etc but damn it would be awesome, Jarvis is amazing in the Ironman films and Avengers, even if he doesn't have a body xD

But yeh, Ultron looks fantastic. Can't wait for this!

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
Looks like a mecha-Spiderman. Still excited to see this.

I have to admit it's strange to find myself on the other side of the "movies going against source material" conversation (speaking generally). Normally my thoughts and opinions are "how dare you deviate from the source material," yet I really have not a single care for the Pyms so deviate away.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Cover is probably hinting at Ultron 6. I'm curious if they're going to use Admantium or if they'll just reference it as Vibranium Alloy for 6.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don't really know anything about Ultron, but this design does look kinda generic and i'm not digging it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
On paper this sounds like everything a Marvel fan could possibly ever want. I hope go all deities that it delivers on the hype.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Man that looks pretty badass. The new Iron Man armour and Cap uniform look pretty damn cool as well. Can't wait for this movie :D

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
He doesn't look sinister, he looks like the dude from Crysis(who always looked kinda' goofy)
Not saying its won't be a very successful movie, but the last Avengers had an entire army of aliens, giant flying armored space worms and a literal God fucking about. This one has a concept art reject from Halo 4.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
I don't really know anything about Ultron, but this design does look kinda generic and i'm not digging it.
It's been confirmed that the "design" will be altering thought the movie. As long as they skip the Ultron 1 coffee maker I'll be happy. I have bets that it's that killer robot arm that's been trying to kill Tony since the first movie, but that's a long shot bet.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I just hope the movie doesn't overuse the army of mooks like the first Avengers did. Basically, I hope the third act isn't another "Fight our way through this endless mob of robots so we can one-hit KO the villain." With Loki it works and makes sense. With Ultron, that would just be boring.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
arc1991 said:
I know it's just you saying that, because of the voice actor etc but damn it would be awesome, Jarvis is amazing in the Ironman films and Avengers, even if he doesn't have a body xD
Even so, the fact that Ultron created Vision in the comics, and that they're having Tony, who created JARVIS, create Ultron, makes this so very likely.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I just hope the movie doesn't overuse the army of mooks like the first Avengers did. Basically, I hope the third act isn't another "Fight our way through this endless mob of robots so we can one-hit KO the villain." With Loki it works and makes sense. With Ultron, that would just be boring.
Problem is that this is standard comic book M.O. The badguy uses his crowd of disposable minions to slow down the good guys until the showoff.