Avengers, Represent

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Avengers, Represent

Was that time he turned into a frog because of SJW's too?

Read Full Article

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok I don't know who Angela is so that doesn't mean much to me. As to Marvel's attempts at diversity in general I have to question why they're messing around with their established characters instead of creating new ones. Probably because the former is less work.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Ok I don't know who Angela is so that doesn't mean much to me. As to Marvel's attempts at diversity in general I have to question why they're messing around with their established characters instead of creating new ones. Probably because the former is less work.
"Hey, should we make an original female and an original african american character?"

"Nah, just gender swap Thor and make the Cap black. That'll make us look diverse enough for a while."

Also, Erin's face in the third panel is priceless.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Hunter85792 said:
"Hey, should we make an original female and an original african american character?"

"Nah, just gender swap Thor and make the Cap black. That'll make us look diverse enough for a while."

The Captain America thing seems fine because it's not some random new guy taking over the role: It's the Falcon, who is an established ally of Cap. This isn't the first time Steve Rogers has stepped down and handed the shield to somebody else. That specific swap could easily be an intentional part of character development by writers.

The "random unknown character is suddenly Thor" thing is almost certainly just intentionally gimmicky newsmaking though.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Ok I don't know who Angela is so that doesn't mean much to me.k.
shes from SHHHHPAWWWWWN!!!

the most intellectually stimulating comic ever

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Falterfire said:
The Captain America thing seems fine because it's not some random new guy taking over the role: It's the Falcon, who is an established ally of Cap. This isn't the first time Steve Rogers has stepped down and handed the shield to somebody else. That specific swap could easily be an intentional part of character development by writers.

The "random unknown character is suddenly Thor" thing is almost certainly just intentionally gimmicky newsmaking though.
Gimmicky newsmaking?!?! From Marvel? (Even though their movie division is all but printing money right now.) Not those guys.
Still I'm waiting for the new Falcon comic with Steven Colbert as the Falcon.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/stephen-colbert-flies-high-as-marvels-all-new-falcon/
Real or not, I demand this happen. They wouldn't let him be president they could at least let him have this damnit.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Falterfire said:
Hunter85792 said:

Well yeah, agreed about Captain America.

But the Thor things is just too weird. Same name, same appearance, just with ovaries. I mean you'd think they might want to give her a bit of a distinct personality or something... unless this is just going to be immediately retconned in 12 months.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Look out Iron Man, I don't know what they're going to do to you but your ass is next.

Roganzar said:
Falterfire said:

Gimmicky newsmaking?!?! From Marvel? (Even though their movie division is all but printing money right now.) Not those guys.
Still I'm waiting for the new Falcon comic with Steven Colbert as the Falcon.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/stephen-colbert-flies-high-as-marvels-all-new-falcon/
Real or not, I demand this happen. They wouldn't let him be president they could at least let him have this damnit.
Would auto-subscribe to that. :)

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I wonder if the legal battle coming from Jack Kirby's estate over rights to characters he created/helped create has something to do with Marvel's changing the guard at this particular time. Even if that does have something to do with it Marvel can't do this with all of the characters he created--there are too many of them.

OT: I disagree with the assertion that Angela is there to appeal to morons: The way she's always been drawn--with as little clothing as possible--makes her primarily eye-candy for adolescent boys. Even more so than most female comic book characters, I mean. ;)

Burnouts3s3 said:
I thought they just got Angela so that Marvel/Neil Gaiman(sp?) could just piss off Todd Macfarlane?
Yep. ^_^

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Ok I don't know who Angela is so that doesn't mean much to me.
They literally explain the joke below the strip.

As to Marvel's attempts at diversity in general I have to question why they're messing around with their established characters instead of creating new ones. Probably because the former is less work.
Thor and Cap have been retooled dozens of times, sometimes even being played by different people. The only thing that's different this time is that Thor's got boobs. Even Black Cap has sorta been done before. By the same guy. In the 60s. Hell, Iron Man's getting a retool right now, too, and as far as we know he's still Tony Stark. Though Iron Man was black for a while, too.

Roganzar said:
In fact, it's so common that one wonders why Thor getting a uterus is even worthy of the statement.

Vault101 said:

Well, she was very "stimulating" to a lot of folks' "intellects."

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
The whole Thor is now a lady sounds silly (unless it's the regular Thor who has gone through a sex change, which i understand it is not).
Like someone being given an Iron Man armor and being told "You are now Tony Stark"

As for Falcon as Captain America, eh, depends how they do it.

Personally though, i'd have preferred an Avengers team with Falcon being Falcon, and some uber powerful thundergod woman being an uber powerful thundergod woman without taking in a name from someone else.
Pele? Oya?Probably not Whaitiri due to the whole cannibalism thing...
hmmm, there seems to be a rather severe shortage of thunder goddesses, wikipedia gave me just 6.
Bronte or Astrape maybe, but they seem more of Zeus's servant gods than their own actors.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Copper Zen said:
I wonder if the legal battle coming from Jack Kirby's estate over rights to characters he created/helped create has something to do with Marvel's changing the guard at this particular time.
But didn't he have a hand in creating many of the new lineup, too? Seems like that would kill this.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
I love Falcon, I love him so much that the idea of him becoming Captain America is insulting to me. If you want Cap to retire, or to temporarily replace him with a black character then I prefer it be some new character introduced for this purpose. OR, you bring back Isaiah Bradley and have him take up the mantle again. Hell Patriot getting aged up to become Cap would also be cool.

As For Thor. Well Since Thor isn't losing his name, someone else is just going to be calling themselves Thor also this is going to be very confusing. We'll be having Non powered Thor Odinson, and Powered Female Thor.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
nyysjan said:
hmmm, there seems to be a rather severe shortage of thunder goddesses, wikipedia gave me just 6.
Yeah, but since they didn't go too well SJWs decided just to steal Thor's fame instead of doing something original from scratch. Seems like they needed a gift from the blonde white men to actually have something.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Because if they don't modify their existing characters then even the illusion that their characters are making progress is broken.

Thor's been swapped out before: Red Norvell, Beta Ray Bill, Eric Master, just to name a few. This is just the first time he's swapped out for a woman. Caps also has a half dozen or so alternates. The serum has been removed from his body on several occasions. Iron Man has been several people, and non-entities like Robots before. I suspect Superior Iron Man is a Robot from Avenges AI at the moment.

If they didn't do things like this you'd realize that individual character development has never occurred.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
As a plausible Moron I'm offended by the idea I like Angela from Spawn.... I'd rather have Angela from Gargoyles.... Come on.... Disney's Gargoyles ought to be in the Marvel Universe.... Or better yet instead of either Angela how about Maggie from the Mutates who were also in Disney's Gargoyles?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Winnosh said:
I love Falcon, I love him so much that the idea of him becoming Captain America is insulting to me. If you want Cap to retire, or to temporarily replace him with a black character then I prefer it be some new character introduced for this purpose. OR, you bring back Isaiah Bradley and have him take up the mantle again. Hell Patriot getting aged up to become Cap would also be cool.

As For Thor. Well Since Thor isn't losing his name, someone else is just going to be calling themselves Thor also this is going to be very confusing. We'll be having Non powered Thor Odinson, and Powered Female Thor.
Actually, I think Thor still has his power. He just doesn't have his hammer anymore. I hear he's got an axe now though, so he should be fine. ;D

OT: Liking Marvel mixing things up a bit. Should be neat to see where it goes. Plus, with the new Cap. A. formerly being the Falcon, they have a way to replace Cap in the movies when his actor quits.

Then we get a black Captain America, :D who can fly! [sub](Seriously. If they make the Falcon give up his wings to be Cap, that would be a waste. ;p[/sub]
Vault101 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok I don't know who Angela is so that doesn't mean much to me.k.

Are you trying to say a story about a mercenary who gets killed, ends up working for a demon/the devil, feeds on evil, and fights God who is in the form of an old woman is dumb? xD

Because don't you think it speaks for itself? ;p

As for Erin's manner? xD Well Grey, he works with what you give him.