Fantastic Four Reboot Might* Not Be A Trainwreck After All. (*Might Not)

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Fantastic Four Reboot Might* Not Be A Trainwreck After All. (*Might Not)

Kate Mara's publicist is now saying that quotes attributed to her were misunderstood, owing to a bad translation.

Actress Kate Mara, soon to play Sue Storm in Josh Trank's upcoming Fantastic Four reboot, was misquoted when she appeared to confirm that the film will be everything that makes a terrible comic book movie, well terrible, her publicist has said.

The House of Cards actress was interviewed by Esquire Mexico recently and, when asked about Fantastic Four, apparently claimed the film's connection to the 50-year old comic series will be in-name only. "I've never been a fan of comics, I've never actually read one," Mara was quoted as saying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136178-Fantastic-Four-Reboot-Movie-Wont-Be-Based-on-Any-Comics]. "I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn't necessary. Well, actually he told us that we shouldn't do it because the plot won't be based on any history of anything already published."

That sounds indeed very troubling, especially when considered alongside comments by Fantastic Four producer Simon Kinberg that the film will be "a much more grounded, gritty, realistic movie than the last couple." Frankly, if there's one set of comic book super heroes could never be described as "gritty" or "realistic"*, it's a team inspired by science heroes of the pulp era, consisting of a living rock, a man who can stretch himself to infinity, an woman with invisibility powers, and a guy who can burst into flames at will.

Obviously, Mara herself doesn't come out looking bad. She admitted she isn't a comics fan, and that she was going to start reading the series for context after winning the role. But the revelation that the creative team responsible for bringing a new version of Marvel's First Family into the world are apparently planning to completely disregard the source material makes the film look botched from the start. Understandably, the reaction from fans was exceptionally negative (just see our forum discussion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.855522-Fantastic-Four-Reboot-Movie-Wont-Be-Based-on-Any-Comics]), hardly the pre-release buzz Fox was hoping for.

However, the interview made its way into the English language Internet via a post our forum discussion [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=103606] that what Mara actually said is that the film won't be based on any single storyline from the comics, but will instead be drawn from the whole canon.

So, perhaps this thing won't be a pile of crap after all. Of course, that still doesn't account for the fact she was told not to even bother reading the comics (something not disputed by her publicist), and we still have to contend with the ridiculous idea that you can make the Fantastic Four "gritty" and "realistic", which means there's still a strong chance this film will be terrible. But if it's going to suck, at least it won't suck due to being an in-name only adaptation.

* I do think such a film could be "grounded," if they're using the same definition of the word I am. Just because the premise is fantastic (zing) doesn't mean the characters can't be written as complex, fully fleshed out people.

Via The Mary Sue [http://www.themarysue.com/kate-mara-fantastic-four-remarks/].

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Ugh...I am still miffed by the casting. Reed's actor doesn't seem old/wise enough, and I don't like the prospect of Sue and Johnny being adoptive siblings...

Also "gritty" shouldn't ever describe this group, short of something like the Onslaught series of comics. Even then, the whole situation mattered more BECAUSE the F4 are always more upbeat. Then again, I wouldn't say Thor was "gritty," just a fun adventure, which is perfect for F4...yet I can see marketing consultants using the term regardless.

Plus Doom...I'm sorry, but I am still thinking Jeremy Irons for Doom (or someone who can channel a young version of him)...and anything of less caliber than that will make me sad...

My Personal Casting Choices:

Reed = Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice)...wouldn't have minded Brandon Routh, but he's Atom

Sue = Paula Patton (would have liked Zoe Saldana, but she's Gamora)...though Patton would also make a great She-Hulk!

Ben = Joel Edgerton (the older brother in the film Warrior)

Johnny = Michael B Jordan was a good casting for this I think

Doom = Jeremy Irons, as I said...though I could be amenable to Luke Evans...assuming he brought the gravitas

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
RossaLincoln said:
The headlline of this article reads "The Fantastic Four Movie Might Not A Trainwreck After All".

Don't you mean "The Fantastic Four Movie Might Not ((Be)) A Trainwreck After All"?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
RossaLincoln said:
But if it's going to suck, at least it won't be suck due to being an in-name only adaptation.
May wanna redo that bit.

OT: When has gritty ever made something better, maybe one of the Batman movies but apart from that I can't think of any franchise coming out better after gritification.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Eri said:
RossaLincoln said:
The headlline of this article reads "The Fantastic Four Movie Might Not A Trainwreck After All".

Don't you mean "The Fantastic Four Movie Might Not ((Be)) A Trainwreck After All"?
Yeeeep! And fixed. Thanks!

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
PunkRex said:
RossaLincoln said:
But if it's going to suck, at least it won't be suck due to being an in-name only adaptation.
May wanna redo that bit.

OT: When has gritty ever made something better, maybe one of the Batman movies but apart from that I can't think of any franchise coming out better after gritification.
Stupid editing. In my defense, I have no defense. Thanks, I've fixed it.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Wait, wasn't there an F4 movie several years ago? They are rebooting it already?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Well, Michael B. Jordan's statements don't inspire much hope either.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...antastic-four-not-your-typical-superhero-film
?We have been pretty much in our own world, that?s really the only way we could get a project like this done. It is so massive, so many moving parts, so many moving pieces, things are changing every day?The script is evolving, [you make] on set decisions on the fly, things are always constantly changing. Me personally, I block out that extra noise and I focus on the job I have to do. It is an important film for all of us? We?re taking it seriously, taking a lot of risks. I think it?s going to pay off."
?Josh?s vision is very clear and he knows exactly what he wants, and he gives us room to adapt and to play. That?s what I kind of think sets us apart, is that this is going to be grounded and unconventional. It?s not your typical superhero film, you know, we aren?t looking at this as like, being superheroes. We?re more or less a bunch of kids that had an accident and we have disabilities now that we have to cope with, and try to find a life afterwards ? try to be as normal as we can.?
I have VERY little hope for this film.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Trishbot said:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...antastic-four-not-your-typical-superhero-film
?We have been pretty much in our own world, that?s really the only way we could get a project like this done. It is so massive, so many moving parts, so many moving pieces, things are changing every day?The script is evolving, [you make] on set decisions on the fly, things are always constantly changing. Me personally, I block out that extra noise and I focus on the job I have to do. It is an important film for all of us? We?re taking it seriously, taking a lot of risks. I think it?s going to pay off."
?Josh?s vision is very clear and he knows exactly what he wants, and he gives us room to adapt and to play. That?s what I kind of think sets us apart, is that this is going to be grounded and unconventional. It?s not your typical superhero film, you know, we aren?t looking at this as like, being superheroes. We?re more or less a bunch of kids that had an accident and we have disabilities now that we have to cope with, and try to find a life afterwards ? try to be as normal as we can.?
yeah... this is starting to sound like Chronicle. Which, I liked, but don't want to see remade as Fantastic Four.

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
So the only part of the quote that really mattered is unchanged, and you still say there is a chance for this movie? You are more optimistic than me.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
wswordsmen said:
So the only part of the quote that really mattered is unchanged, and you still say there is a chance for this movie? You are more optimistic than me.
The last paragraph should hopefully make it clear I'm not actually that optimistic.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Seracen said:
Ugh...I am still miffed by the casting. Reed's actor doesn't seem old/wise enough, and I don't like the prospect of Sue and Johnny being adoptive siblings...
Casting doesn't bother me, everyone involved has already demonstrated excellence before. Also, I like the idea of adopted or stepsiblings - it is 2014, people divorce and remarry, and nothing changes their fundamental dynamic unless you believe that adopted kids or step siblings can't be as close as biologically related sibs. (Not saying this is you of course.) And Miles Teller is a potentially great actor who just needs the right role to push him into the big leagues. Granted, he is only 27, but that doesn't mean anything in and of itself bad. The issue for me is that all the details that ought to make me able to feel good about casting aren't there.

I don't need this to be SUPER FAITHFUL, just to be clear. Worrying too much about making it exactly like the comic, or exactly like a certain interpretaion of these characters, or exactly like one of my favorite FF stories can get in the way of making a good film. But you at least need to understand the core essence of what it is that you're making. And I think we can all agree that the Ultimates version of the Fantastic Four fucking sucked, and that seems like what they'll be doing here, only lamer.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
@Seracen, the age isn't so much of an issue, I mean just look at the Ultimates comics (say what you will, Ultimate Fantastic Four was a decent line), where they had just become adults when the story started. I'm still skeptical, but more because of my inability to trust him as an actor for the part then his age. Hell, I know it might confuse a few people, but for god sake they casted Reed perfectly in the two movies they made a decade ago. Just bring him back, he's a good actor and he could pull it off if he had a script worth its weight in paper.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Zontar said:
@Seracen, the age isn't so much of an issue, I mean just look at the Ultimates comics (say what you will, Ultimate Fantastic Four was a decent line), where they had just become adults when the story started. I'm still skeptical, but more because of my inability to trust him as an actor for the part then his age. Hell, I know it might confuse a few people, but for god sake they casted Reed perfectly in the two movies they made a decade ago. Just bring him back, he's a good actor and he could pull it off if he had a script worth its weight in paper.
I spoke too soon! We can't all agree. (I really don't like the Ultimates FF. Mind going into what you like about it? I'd love to know.)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
@RossaLincoln What I liked about it was that I was a teenager, reading about a teenage genius who tried to make the world a better place with the comic book technology instead of having it be revolutionary technology just sitting on a shelf doing nothing, and he failed spectacularly.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Trishbot said:

It makes sense to me now why Marvel canceled their F4 comic. It looks like they know something we don't about this movie and want to distance themselves as far away from it as possible. Seriously at this point this whole thing sounds like a hubris filled vanity project. I visit a few comic book websites and the buzz in the discussions for this movie is not good at all and it's been dubbed FFINO - Fantastic Four in name only.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Meh. They should have made Reed African American, not Johnny Storm, Torch is an arsehole and a fool. George Washington Carver wasn't an anomaly.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Gritty realistic and grounded? A film with a stretchy man and a rock monster? Yeah, i cant see that working and even if the original FF movies had issues, atleast they had their own identity.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I mean, may as well not get used to it not having any ties to the comic universe except in name only. The actor selection has pretty much already done that (not a criticism, just an observation of reality). I don't know how it could be expected to have a strong connection what age of the characters has been drastically reduced like it has. Also, we are told it's gritty and realistic... which completely removes it from the realm of connection to the comic. FF has never been gritty, and if it's realistic, it's not fantastic, no pun intended.