Let's Talk Guardians Of The Galaxy Cameo Spoilers

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Let's Talk Guardians Of The Galaxy Cameo Spoilers

Howard is, for lack of a better way to put it, Marvel's Ambush Bug (or more accurately, Ambush Bug is DC's Howard the Duck). First appearing as a secondary Man-Thing character on the pages of Adventure Into Fear in 1973, he's an anthropomorphic, foul-mouthed, chain smoking duck from the planet Duckworld, an alternate universe version of Earth where sapient beings evolved from waterfowl. Ripped from his homeworld by Thog the Overmaster, he initially fights alongside Man-Thing, until he ends up stranded in Cleveland, Ohio, which would generally remain his home base from that point on.

At first just a weird character in the already-weird Man-Thing family of stories, Howard was quickly mined for increasingly absurdist comedy that ultimately evolved into straight-up metafiction. He got his own series starting in 1976 that ran for 31 issues, was cancelled, then revived for a couple more issues, then cancelled again, and since then he's been brought back for small cameos, including a hilarious moment during the Civil War storyline in which he attempts to register as a superhuman but is denied, as the government officially doesn't acknowledge his existence. Over his various incarnations, he's battled enemies like Man-Frog and Bessie the Hellcow, a vampire cow. The series was notable for overtly satirizing 1970s American culture (the public panic about cults, and the 1976 presidential election among several targets), and for his increasing awareness that he is a comic book character, which allowed him to serve as a mockery of comic tropes and specific Marvel storylines.

A lot of the series' humor definitely doesn't hold up, largely because the weird cultural circle-jerk that was America in the 1970s immediately became ridiculous as soon as the decade was over. Trust me on this, there are too many disco jokes and too many Carter-era political reference jokes, and you can sometimes almost feel yourself growing a combover as you read old issues. But, the character and series were groundbreaking, particularly for preceding the deconstructionist movement in mainstream comics, exemplified by the likes of Alan Moore, by almost a decade, albeit from a comedic rather than serious perspective. You can probably see why James Gunn is a fan.

Anyway, we don't, of course, know precisely how Howard appears in the film. Given the way these things work, it's likely that we'll just see him as a clever background moment. My money is on it happening while the Guardians are in prison early in the film, though because this would amount to nothing more than an Easter Egg, (like the appearance of ET's in the Galactic Senate during The Phantom Menace), I'm hoping at least that it's a proper cameo and we hear Howard talk. After all, there's literally nothing at this point, especially given how wacky Guardians of the Galaxy looks to be at times, that would keep Marvel from deciding that Duckworld is indeed a location within the MCU.

Then again, it looks like Cosmo won't be talking. Unless, of course, the fact that no voice is credited is misdirection. This wouldn't be the first time a "fun cameo" - which by the way is how James Gunn <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.853435-Nathan-Fillion-Will-Appear-in-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Update>described Nathan Fillion's appearance in Guardians - was kept a secret until after the film's release, which is why I think it's possible that one of the people credited here does double duty and voices Cosmo. Sp, maybe there are two uncredited voice cameos. Or, maybe there are none and I'm just wildly speculating out my ass.

We'll find out soon enough.

Source: Bleeding Cool

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Howard the Duck will just be there as a cameo in a bar scene so that Rocket can make a snarky comment about talking animals. Nothing to worry about, after all it either a joke in the movie or something silly for after the credits. :)

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I... Think you posted this in news but isn't this more an editorial article? Really looking forward to this movie though!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, with Shield in so much trouble maybe Howard will be the binding agent in the next generation of Avengers related films. I can see the post credits teaser scene already.

Klaflefalumpf

Oct 3, 2010
"horrible 90s musician"?

You and I differ rather a lot on that one Ross. Rob Zombie's music is the draw for me, not that big on his movies.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Klaflefalumpf said:
"horrible 90s musician"?

You and I differ rather a lot on that one Ross. Rob Zombie's music is the draw for me, not that big on his movies.
I suspect that was a bit of the ol' absurdist comedy there; Zombie's seems to be a competent schlock director (not my personal cup of tea) but he's an extraordiny musician.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Kinda hoping the Howard scene is just a quick shot during the opening as whatever happens to cause Peter Quill to become stranded away from Earth briefly intersects with the teleporter that ripped Howard to Earth.