130: No Cleric Left Behind

Lacey Coleman

Dec 31, 2007
No Cleric Left Behind

"Assistant Marco Ginsberg, one of 18 student staff members at the program, worked at the Roleplay Workshop for three. He says he has helped the kids flesh out the basic math skills they need to create characters and do battle. 'Watching a student who previously couldn't understand the concept of averaging memorize it after a few stat checks is a special joy in itself,' Ginsberg says."

Lacey Coleman speaks to the founders of The Roleplay Workshop, helping kids to learn through gaming.

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
better interpersonal and work ethic skills, more responsible attitude towards their jobs

This isn't surprising, because too many jobs don't really require much skill per-se, just a willingness to tolerate mind-numbing tedium for most of your waking hours.

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
Just base the game on Role Master instead of D&D and the kids will learn all about numbers and tables...

LuminescentTide

Oct 6, 2009
Hello Ms. Coleman,
This is Marco Ginsburg. Firstly, I want to thank you again for the piece you wrote on the roleplay workshop; it's a great organization that deserves recognition.

I hate to nitpick, and it's a rather common mistake, but, as you see here, my name is spelled with a u, not an e. If you don't feel the need to change this, I suppose it doesn't actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Dom Camus said:
better interpersonal and work ethic skills, more responsible attitude towards their jobs

This isn't surprising, because too many jobs don't really require much skill per-se, just a willingness to tolerate mind-numbing tedium for most of your waking hours.
Interestingly enough, this is why the constant grinding of MMO's is found to be a good trainer for white collar jobs.

oathblade

Aug 16, 2009
What I disagree with is that this is new. D&D helped me build skills in high school, and it helped with the pressures there. It sounds like a great program but it sounds like their amazed to discover the sky looks blue.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
That sounds awesome! I would love a class like that at my high-school:

Class Schedule:
1st Period: Web Design
2nd Period: Cooking Class
3rd Period: D&D SUPER-ASS FUN TIME!!!!!
4th Period: JROTC