Joss Whedon Practically Confirms JARVIS/Vision Connection In Avengers 2

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Joss Whedon Practically Confirms JARVIS/Vision Connection In Avengers 2

Whedon pretty much confirms what we've been saying for months. Potential spoilers ho!

Earlier this week, we learned new information about the titular villain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136214-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Story-and-Dialogue-Details-Fly-Out] in Avengers: Age of Ultron, and now it's The Vision's turn to get some details out into the wild.

Now, not to toot our own horns too much, but for months [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136195-First-Official-Ultron-Image-Drops-And-It-Doesnt-Suck?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all] that the casting of actor Paul Bettany - who already provides the voice of Tony Stark's AI assistant J.A.R.V.I.S. - as Vision probably means only one thing: that J.A.R.V.I.S. will almost certainly be transformed into Vision. Spoiler alert: it looks like we were right.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Age of Ultron director Joss Whedon opened up just a tiny bit about the fact that Bettany voices both characters, and he strongly suggests they are indeed the same character. "It's not coincidence..." he said, but, he added "I'm not going to tell you any more about The Vision."

Robert Downey Jr. weighed in on the matter as well. "Things only happen arbitrarily in Kevin Feige's Marvel universe by mistake, and I think he's maybe made two mistakes and they weren't really in the movies," Downey said. "They were more in like the easter eggs early on. Things that he didn't have as much final say over but would nowadays...Yeah, I don't think Kevin would let that happen. Again, it's like if you think about the five different ways that [The Vision] could come together, this one's definitely the most interesting of the five. I was running other scenarios and I've seen it progress over drafts. It was just kind of really good, right from the start."

In the comics, Ultron was originally created by Dr. Henry Pym (Ant-Man), but he soon rebelled, declaring a vendetta against Pym and Pym's wife Janet van Dyne (AKA Wasp), becoming one of The Avengers' longstanding arch enemies in the process. Early-on, Ultron created the synthezoid Vision as a weapon against Pym and van Dyne, but Vision was quickly convinced to renounce villainy. He would eventually join The Avengers and become romantically linked to the Scarlet Witch. (earlier this week [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_(Marvel_Comics)#Fictional_character_biography], the Marvel Cinematic Universe will diverge from this story, with Ultron beginning life as an AI created by Tony Stark to "assess threats." No doubt Vison's origin will see a related origin story makeover.

Meanwhile, we also get our first dim glimpse of how Vision will look. Of course, Marvel hasn't shown what The Vision will look like in the film, but EW says it saw test footage of the character's make-up while on the movie's set last month. "[H]is face," the publication says, "seemed to be a little more on the purple side of the spectrum than orange, the overall look of the synthezoid has a slightly more technological edge than the original 1968 introduction. He's a bit more Borg and a little less Crayola."

Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters on May 1, 2015, at which time we'll all find out for sure whether or not we're right to speculate that Vision and J.A.R.V.I.S. are the same character*.

* We are.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/07/17/avengers-age-of-ultron-quicksilver-scarlet-witch-and-the-vision/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I feel like a Homer Simpson "duhhhh!" would fit here, Joss.

I doubt anyone thought this was a random thing.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I didn't think it was lazy casting, at least. They've got a budget for multiple voices if they need 'em. :p

This film seems to be approaching faster and faster every time I hear about it and I still don't know any of the characters they talk about in the drip-feed news reports.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Alex Co said:
Whedon admits that Bettany's role as JARVIS and The Vision is coincidental claiming, "It's not coincidence..."And I'm not going to tell you any more about The Vision."
I sense a contradiction in the Force... may want to make a correction here of some kind.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I so hope Jarvis becomes vision, would be so amazing.

Im loving how they are mixing things up with these films, doing things differently etc while still referencing the comics and doing much of the stuff the same. Usually this would mess up the films, but Marvel and Disney are seriously on the ball.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
"Im loving how they are mixing things up with these films, doing things differently etc while still referencing the comics and doing much of the stuff the same. Usually this would mess up the films, but Marvel and Disney are seriously on the ball."

That's because even when they make changes, they stay true to the core of the characters themselves, whereas with pretty much every other production company making superhero movies make changes that cut deep into that core because they don't have an understanding of the characters, or any love for their legacy.

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
Never heard of this character. I've glanced over the wiki, but it's filled with references that I don't know anything about either :)

Could someone summarize this character and what this development signifies, if anything?

I'm asking because I get the feeling that when I watch the movie, I'll be confused about this guy and why an A.I. is suddenly being turned into a separate villain/hero, so I'd appreciate a bit of knowledge on the subject.
The Vision is an android created by one of the enemies of the Avengers to destroy them but instead turned good and joined the team. That's all you really need to know about him. Basically, he's one of those comic book characters that have played a major role within their respective universes, but have little to no mainstream attention.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I haven't read the comics, but with my limited knowledge of this does this mean that once Tony Stark creates Ultron (in Avengers 2) then Ultron creates Vision to fight the Avengers.

After multiple fights he eventually somehow flips alliances and joins them against Ultron? Is that right in my assumption or I am wrong?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DarkhoIlow said:
I haven't read the comics, but with my limited knowledge of this does this mean that once Tony Stark creates Ultron (in Avengers 2) then Ultron creates Vision to fight the Avengers.

After multiple fights he eventually somehow flips alliances and joins them against Ultron? Is that right in my assumption or I am wrong?
I think they confirmed that Stark builds Ultron in the MCU. The rest is assumption, but basically yeah. In theory, that's what will happen.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Crap...why is the quote function not working properly? Oh well....

Darkhollow said-"I haven't read the comics, but with my limited knowledge of this does this mean that once Tony Stark creates Ultron (in Avengers 2) then Ultron creates Vision to fight the Avengers.

After multiple fights he eventually somehow flips alliances and joins them against Ultron? Is that right in my assumption or I am wrong?"

Zachary Amaranth replied with-"I think they confirmed that Stark builds Ultron in the MCU. The rest is assumption, but basically yeah. In theory, that's what will happen."

I'll jump in with- Or Tony Created Ultron and Bruce Banner managed to subvert him somehow into Vision.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
sleeky01 said:
Crap...why is the quote function not working properly? Oh well....

Darkhollow said-"I haven't read the comics, but with my limited knowledge of this does this mean that once Tony Stark creates Ultron (in Avengers 2) then Ultron creates Vision to fight the Avengers.

After multiple fights he eventually somehow flips alliances and joins them against Ultron? Is that right in my assumption or I am wrong?"

Zachary Amaranth replied with-"I think they confirmed that Stark builds Ultron in the MCU. The rest is assumption, but basically yeah. In theory, that's what will happen."

I'll jump in with- Or Tony Created Ultron and Bruce Banner managed to subvert him somehow into Vision.
Quotes are working fine for me.

Though I've had a couple glitches with other things, so I'm not saying it's not an issue for you.

Anyway, you could be right, but I'm wagering that Vision remains an underling of Ultron. It'd be cool if Banner got to use his brains to deal with Vision, though.