Director: No Post-Credits Scene on Marvel's Guardians Until Opening Night

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Director: No Post-Credits Scene on Marvel's Guardians Until Opening Night

Is Marvel hiding a major reveal until the last possible moment?

By now, the post-credits scenes of Marvel Studios movies are events in and of themselves; one more reason to see each film as soon as possible to find out what final gags (or teases for future characters/storylines) will be revealed. The granddaddy of the trend, Nick Fury turning up after the end of Iron Man to reveal the very existence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, was kept so secret that not even critics and preview audiences got to see it - and now that approach will apparently be revived for Guardians of The Galaxy.

While Guardians will have its official World Premiere tonight in Hollywood (and has already been shown to LA-area critics to an until opening day, August 1. [http://www.slashfilm.com/early-guardians-of-the-galaxy-reviews/]

Speculation has run rampant on social media since the early screenings began rolling out, but thus far no official/confirmed spoilers have managed to leak. Expectations and guesses have ranged from a teaser for Avengers: Age of Ultron to a scene that would explicitly connect the Guardians (whose film takes place in deep space) to the rest of the Earthbound Marvel Universe, while others have posited reveals for cosmically-connected Marvel characters rumored to be getting their own movies in the near future like Doctor Strange or Ms. Marvel.

Source: James Gunn [www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10152575946834570?fref=nf]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Just great, by all means I loved the post credit scene but it's a total pain to wait for it to show (I go out to watch it with my mate so we both on a time limit when it come to getting the train back home).

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
SirBryghtside said:
MovieBob said:
The final "secret scene" won't be shown to anyone until opening day, August 1. [https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10152575946834570?fref=nf]
Is this accurate? I didn't see him mention the 1st of August, and it's coming out earlier than that internationally (31st here in England). I'd be pretty annoyed if I missed it just because I went in on the opening day :p
I'm sure it's meant that it will only be on the opening day film rolls that are shipped out. None of the pre-screenings.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I shall expect something relating to Doctor Strange.

My second guess goes to another Thanos teaser.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
I remember being in the theater for Captain America and seeing the little bit with him punching the punching bag and being all, "Cool, here we go" and then Fury says something like, "Trying to save it (the world)." I thought, "Cool, decent teaser, I mean, I shouldn't expect too much. Avengers is the next movie and they proba-" Then suddenly the very first Avengers trailer played. Out of nowhere. I know I shouldn't expect it - that leads to disappointment - but I am totally expecting a similar Age of Ultron teaser at the end of Guardians.

Also, Avengers did something similar, right? The movie had even opened internationally but they still waited to the last second to film and add the shawarma scene. Even my friend who worked at the theater and saw the film early said he checked and there was no stinger at the end. It was filmed so late, Chris Evans had a goatee for another role and had to cover his mouth during the scene.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
klaynexas3 said:
Nova movie. I want a fucking Nova movie. Please Marvel, please.
I came here to say this.

RICHARD RIDER! DO WANT!

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
Stop it Marvel... I.. I can't.. I'm already as excited as I can be for this movie... I can't handle this

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
SirBryghtside said:
MovieBob said:
The final "secret scene" won't be shown to anyone until opening day, August 1. [https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10152575946834570?fref=nf]
Is this accurate? I didn't see him mention the 1st of August, and it's coming out earlier than that internationally (31st of July here in England). I'd be pretty annoyed if I missed it just because I went in on the opening day :p
The exact quote from James Gunn's facebook post is, "There WILL be a tag at the end of the credits on Guardians of the Galaxy, but it won't be playing tonight, just as it hasn't been playing on the press screenings. It's something we're saving for people who go see the movie on the first day in theaters around the world."

No date is mentioned in this post which Bob credits as his source.

And personally... YAY!
Post credit scenes KEEP LEAKING from pre-release screenings to trend and clog news feeds before I get to enjoy the moment of the reveal. I'm grateful this is under wraps and I can't wait for opening weekend!

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
My guess is after the big Kree ship explodes (because there will be a big Kree ship that explodes at some point, even if I know nothing of what's planned aside from seeing the trailers) the credits fade out to show rubble raining down to earth or some other planet if preferred. A big meteor crashes in the desert or the tundra or something like that, and from a far-away shot we see the silhouette of a woman* raise out of the crater left by the crash and rocket suddenly off into the sky. Ms. Marvel movie y'all!

*Replace the far-off silhouette shot with a close-up visible shot if an actress has already been cast for Ms. Marvel.

Honestly I'm just excited to see Chris Pratt being sci-fi, even if the movie turns out to be not so great. It probably will be awesome though.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
SirBryghtside said:
MovieBob said:
Is this accurate? I didn't see him mention the 1st of August, and it's coming out earlier than that internationally (31st of July here in England). I'd be pretty annoyed if I missed it just because I went in on the opening day :p
From James Gunn's twitter:
"Will the #GuardiansOfTheGalaxy post-credit scene be there if people see the early premiere July 31?? Yes."

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/491345951357796352

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
RatGouf said:
My wild guess is its going to be the return of The Red Skull. Though I look forward to being wrong.
Hugo Weaving said he would pretty much never play the role again, that he enjoyed it well enough but he wasn't interested in being part of a franchise so that was prety much out.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
RatGouf said:
My wild guess is its going to be the return of The Red Skull. Though I look forward to being wrong.
Hugo Weaving said he would pretty much never play the role again, that he enjoyed it well enough but he wasn't interested in being part of a franchise so that was prety much out.
Well, that stinks. The way The Red Skull disappeared into outer space or where ever he went was for me the most exciting cliff hanger in these Marvel movies so far.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
If I chant Galactica, do you think it'll become true? God do I want him in a movie and not in a shitty Fantastic Four film where he's a pissed off cloud.

August 1st, get here sooner damnit!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
ritchards said:
...not coming out in NZ until the 7th... sigh.
I'm pretty sure it comes out on the 1st for us as well. Just checked eventcinemas because I'm considering watching it on the day, #hypeconfirmed.