Violent Robber Caught and Gets 8 Years Thanks to Xbox

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Violent Robber Caught and Gets 8 Years Thanks to Xbox

Jay Georgiou's partner in crime is still at large.

A 19-year old bandit who threatened to kill three men during a burglary has been jailed for an 8 year term, after the incident was heard as it was happening, thanks to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Jay Georgiou and his yet-to-be identified partner in crime broke into a flat in Eastbourne, Sussex, shortly before 5pm on April 1st, as the occupants were playing an online match. While Georgiou and his partner was busy threatening their victims, the gamer at the other end of the match in Brighton was calling the police.

Georgiou, who wore a crash helmet at the time of the raid, hit one of the occupants of the flat with an imitation handgun before he and his accomplice tied up the three people in the flat and threatened to stab or shoot them unless they handed over drugs and money. The robbers eventually got away with a laptop, mobile phone, and the Xbox console plus games. Georgiou was arrested two hours after the attack.

Detective Constable Richard Holder described the incident as terrifying, and said that the flat's occupants had been targeted by mistake. "The robbers were brutal in their treatment of the friends but Georgiou even stopped during the incident to take a phone call from his probation officer as he had missed an appointment. We will continue to work to track down the other robber involved so that he too can face justice like Georgiou."

Georgiou was convicted of robbery and possession of an imitation firearm when he appeared at Brighton Crown Court. In addition to his jail term, he was ordered to pay £120 costs.

Georgiou's accomplice is described as being white, 20 to 25 years old, with ginger hair. He wore a balaclava or ski mask during the robbery, and has yet to be identified.

Source: The Argus [http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11360916.Robber_jailed_after_break_in_was_transmitted_via_Xbox/?ref=var_0]

vid87

May 17, 2010
The insane part is that this is more or less what happened in Kevin Hart's "Ride Along", proving their bizarre running theme that video games will save the world.

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
Karloff said:
Georgiou even stopped during the incident to take a phone call from his probation officer as he had missed an appointment.
That must have been some awkward phone call.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
How would you even place the call as a gamer? "Um... hi police... some dude on the video game machine is getting pistol whipped...". He had to know the gamers, right?

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Somehow I can't help it but feel sorry for this guy (and also his victims).

I mean he's 19 and robbing people for drugs and money, in addition to having previous jail sentences. That's fairly solid proof that things aren't right in his life, and that he needs help to turn it around.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Kerethos said:

I mean he's 19 and robbing people for drugs and money, in addition to having previous jail sentences. That's fairly solid proof that things aren't right in his life, and that he needs help to turn it around.
Indeed, it also shows that the first jail time, didn't really rehabilitate him, perhaps showing a problem in the system.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Lightknight said:
How would you even place the call as a gamer? "Um... hi police... some dude on the video game machine is getting pistol whipped...". He had to know the gamers, right?
Must have known each other. Eastbourne and Brighton are both in Sussex. About 45 minutes away from one another, I believe.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
DayDark said:
Indeed, it also shows that the first jail time, didn't really rehabilitate him, perhaps showing a problem in the system.
I think that problem may be prisons for profit. Why rehabilitate someone if you can make another profit of a future incarceration.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
That picture of the criminal is just screaming that he should be punched in the guts then knee'd in the face mayhap pain will be a better teacher of right and wrong than the soft rehabilitation route which these repeat offenders laugh at. I'm sick of the rights of the (past and future) victims being eroded away for the rights of the criminal because REHABILITATION give a 2nd chance (and 3rd and 4th...). I'm going to stop now before I go into a huge rant rather than the small one.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
Frostbyte666 said:
That picture of the criminal is just screaming that he should be punched in the guts then knee'd in the face mayhap pain will be a better teacher of right and wrong than the soft rehabilitation route which these repeat offenders laugh at. I'm sick of the rights of the (past and future) victims being eroded away for the rights of the criminal because REHABILITATION give a 2nd chance (and 3rd and 4th...). I'm going to stop now before I go into a huge rant rather than the small one.
Put them in a catapult, splatter them into a wall, make a TV show out of it.
PROFIT.

Yeah, he has the "Im gonna ruin my life and you cant stop me!!" face.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Kerethos said:

Sorry but one look at that guy's smug 'I dont give a fuck' look and my sympathy cortex pretty much drained. Also there are plenty of poor young people that dont go around robbing people to buy drugs...

Deta52

Jul 7, 2012
flarty said:
DayDark said:
I think that problem may be prisons for profit. Why rehabilitate someone if you can make another profit off a future incarceration.
This is Britain you know, I dunno if it's different in...... wherever you live, prisons are operated by our government as far as I know. We pay for this fellow to go to prison. I expect that raises more questions about how effective it is to put someone in the slammer, maybe other forms of punishment would be more effective.

In America (I imagine that) if he put another foot out of line he would be getting the chair, you tell me if that would set someone straight.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Deta52 said:
flarty said:
DayDark said:
I think that problem may be prisons for profit. Why rehabilitate someone if you can make another profit off a future incarceration.
This is Britain you know, I dunno if it's different in...... wherever you live, prisons are operated by our government as far as I know. We pay for this fellow to go to prison. I expect that raises more questions about how effective it is to put someone in the slammer, maybe other forms of punishment would be more effective.

In America (I imagine that) if he put another foot out of line he would be getting the chair, you tell me if that would set someone straight.
Think you're in for a shock matey https://www.justice.gov.uk/about/hmps/contracted-out
Also I would in no way look to the US completely privatised prison system for guidance.

One state has triple the incarceration rate of Russia, over 5 times that of Iran and South Africa and 15 times that of China. How is that even possible? There is nearly 1.5 billion people in china.
Land of the free my arse.

Captcha: Question everything
Damn right captcha

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
flarty said:
Deta52 said:
flarty said:
DayDark said:

Think you're in for a shock matey https://www.justice.gov.uk/about/hmps/contracted-out
Also I would in no way look to the US completely privatised prison system for guidance.

One state has triple the incarceration rate of Russia, over 5 times that of Iran and South Africa and 15 times that of China. How is that even possible? There is nearly 1.5 billion people in china.
Land of the free my arse.

Captcha: Question everything
Damn right captcha
Speaking as someone who ya know, works with the prison system in the united states. Only a handful of states have partial privatization. (all of them 'southern') The federal system has zero privatization. The county systems, where people go to await trial or a light sentence, I usually run be the county sheriff's deputies unless it's a very populous county, even then it's still technically run by the sheriff.

Other than Texas and Louisiana most states have zero to one privatized prison, and typically they are minimum security affairs (non-violent but high monetary white collar crime).

That being said, lumping all the US with one state would be like... saying all the countries in the EU have ridiculous retirement standards because Greece does.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
ace_of_something said:
Speaking as someone who ya know, works with the prison system in the united states. Only a handful of states have partial privatization. (all of them 'southern') The federal system has zero privatization. The county systems, where people go to await trial or a light sentence, I usually run be the county sheriff's deputies unless it's a very populous county, even then it's still technically run by the sheriff.

Other than Texas and Louisiana most states have zero to one privatized prison, and typically they are minimum security affairs (non-violent but high monetary white collar crime).

That being said, lumping all the US with one state would be like... saying all the countries in the EU have ridiculous retirement standards because Greece does.
I think you're completely missing the point, by creating an incentive to imprison people you are in actuality creating a situation where private interests will lobby and cause detrimental changes to laws such as the longer sentences for drug offenses which now account for 50% of the US inmate convictions, then you have the 90% occupancy rate that is guaranteed by the state when they sign a contract for a private prison. Also private prisons house 400,000 illegal immigrants, that's nearly a fifth of the total US prison population. As well as reports for under feed inmates and making the work for penny's a day, you can't tell me that any inmate in a private prison is going to receive adequate rehabilitation.

In contrast, the UK is a lot smaller, with already 14 privatised prisons, and the government plans last year to privatise more being derailed, because serco was found to be doing an appalling job.

As long as you put a profit motive in there, it then becomes apparent that higher crime rates are desirable, and investors may begin corrupting other areas of public services, lets not forget how it was revealed the NYPD received some notable donations from a few certain folk during the mistreatment of occupy protesters, hell the police won't even reveal how much money they have let alone their donors here.

Edit: Had to google it, but it was JP Morgan who donated $4.6 million to the NYPD

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
This guy missed an appointment with his probation officer and robbed someone with a witness too far away to threaten? And the later was due to a mistaken address? Also, why was he after drugs? By that, I mean who did he mean to rob? Something tells me this kid isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lightknight said:
Well, you would need to know where one lives or else theres no way for police to track it in time (they would have to pretty much get a court order to get logs from microsoft to track his ip down thne go to the ISP and track his adress). other than that:
"Hi, i got a crime to report. i was talking with a person online when his home was invaded by ?armed? men threatening him. he lives xxx, send officers or whatever."

also a good idea to offer the police officer to listen to what you hear through the game, like make it louder and get your phone to speaker ect. altrough they tecnically have to respond regardless, they may be more swift thinking its not a joke.

Deta52 said:
Statistical data show that death sentence does not work as deterrant. It would obviuosly work against repeat offences, as dead person cannot do crimes anymore, but whether thats worth it i leave up to you.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
vid87 said:
The insane part is that this is more or less what happened in Kevin Hart's "Ride Along", proving their bizarre running theme that video games will save the world.
That WOULD be funny, wouldn't it? And all those anti-game people could shut up, for once.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Quellist said:
Kerethos said:

Sorry but one look at that guy's smug 'I dont give a fuck' look and my sympathy cortex pretty much drained. Also there are plenty of poor young people that dont go around robbing people to buy drugs...
The thing is that there's even kids that are well of that rob people. Poverty is - as I'm sure you're aware - not in any way a requirement for committing violent crimes. So the way I see it this guy's probably turned to crime for a number of reasons.

In all likelihood there's something wrong in his life, be it problems at home, untreated psychological issues or simply a result of making friends with the wrong people - to name a few. Then the fact that he appeared to be after drugs makes me believe that not only is it likely he's an addict, driven by a need to satisfy his addiction, but he might also try to sell drugs himself in order to sustain his addiction more long term. And I'll assume that if he's looking to rob drug dealers he's doing so knowing they won't go to the police, but it's also rather risky considering they'd deal with him themselves - indicating desperation on his part.

All this means he's caught in a circle where he commits crimes to sustain his addiction, which in turn makes him commit crimes. In addition to that his drug dealing (if that is what he'd be doing with some of the stolen drugs) would allow more people to be able to sustain their addiction, and makes them commit further crimes. Meaning not only does he commit crimes for himself, he also sustains and spreads addiction - and criminal behavior - in or to others.

So if you can't make him to change, then it won't just hurt him, it'll spread crimes from others as well. Getting him to stop, especially considering his young age, is therefor - in my view - crucial, as it will not only make him become a productive member of society, but also help reduce the spread of criminal behavior.

Basically, I think the best, most effective course of action, is to make him stop while there's still time. It's tragic if we give up on people at a mere 19 years old. I mean, even with his drug addiction, he's likely to live at least to 50. That's 31 more years of him committing crimes, and just a waste in every way.

I'm not saying "be nice to him", I'm saying "make him change his ways". Just bouncing him in and out of jail won't solve shit, it'll only make things worse and cost more over time.

vid87

May 17, 2010
FalloutJack said:
vid87 said:
That WOULD be funny, wouldn't it? And all those anti-game people could shut up, for once.
Maybe, though developing the ability to tell the difference between American and Russian firearms probably wouldn't go over well with parenting groups at first.