PlayStation Optimus Prime Joins Megadrive Megatron In Console Transformer War

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PlayStation Optimus Prime Joins Megadrive Megatron In Console Transformer War

You'll soon be able to physically act out the "console wars" with transforming robots.

The "console war" is more of a concept than an actual war with tanks and guns and junk, but Takara Tomy is slowly allowing fans to physically act out the battle of the consoles with new Transformers that transform into consoles. Earlier in the year, we saw the reveal of Megadrive Megatron [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132155-Megadrive-Megatron-Transforms-Into-Sega-Megadrive] - a fitting disguise for the deception leader - and now, he finally has an opponent: PlayStation Optimus Prime.

Check him (or at least, his concept art) out below:

The new toy is being released as part of a dual anniversary celebration: 2014 marks the 30 year anniversary of Transformers and the 20 year anniversary of the PlayStation brand. Along with the special Transformer, a series of 1/6 scale toys based on the lineup of PlayStation consoles will also be released for the double anniversary.

There's no solid release date for the toys yet, with Takara Tomy stating that they are due for release in early 2015.

Megadrive Meagtron, on the other hand, should be hitting stores later this year. There's no word on whether either of these special console Transformers will be released in the West, but hey, that's what Play Asia is for, right?

Source: Polygon [http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20140725_ps_lisence.html]

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Oh Goddamn it, I was already dead set on buying the Megatron and now I've gotta buy this as well? Screw you Takara, taking all my money!

It would have been cooler if this was a Super Nintendo Optimus, but this is still awesome.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Hazy992 said:
Oh Goddamn it, I was already dead set on buying the Megatron and now I've gotta buy this as well? Screw you Takara, taking all my money!

It would have been cooler if this was a Super Nintendo Optimus, but this is still awesome.
I want to see a Gamecube Galvatron

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hazy992 said:

Nintendo the good side of the console war? Inconceivable.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Whatislove said:
Hazy992 said:

I want to see a Gamecube Galvatron
Well if Megatron is a Mega Drive, Galvatron should technically be the Sega Saturn :p
RealRT said:
Hazy992 said:

Nintendo the good side of the console war? Inconceivable.
Good doesn't necessarily mean better. I've always preferred the Decepticons anyway :p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Bumblebee from a Nintendo 64?

Starscream from a Nintendo Wii?

Soundwave from a Playstation 3?

Jazz from an Atari?

Grimlock from an Original Xbox?

The possibilities are endless!

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
The Xbone can be Shockwave (the kinect sensor is his eye watching you =P)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm I thought the colourscheme of the console would fitted the other way (Playstation Megatron) around so that a Megadrive Optimus Prime would remind me of Prime from Beast War.