Battlefield: Hardline Has a "Lame List"

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Battlefield: Hardline Has a "Lame List"

In games, there are things you want to do and things you don't want to do. This cops and robbers game thinks the bad stuff is just lame.

Read Full Article

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I can't help but say I'm intrigued by this. Really. I hope they get the concept they're pitching across because it sounds like a game I'd definitely play. I care little that it is an EA published game, nor that it has the Battlefield branding. I remember when Bad Company came out, and when CoD4 was first released, those games set a different course for their respective series (at least MW2 and BC2 were pretty good IMO). Changing the game's setting and framing is definitely intriguing.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I can't help but say I'm intrigued by this. Really. I hope they get the concept they're pitching across because it sounds like a game I'd definitely play. I care little that it is an EA published game, nor that it has the Battlefield branding. I remember when Bad Company came out, and when CoD4 was first released, those games set a different course for their respective series (at least MW2 and BC2 were pretty good IMO). Changing the game's setting and framing is definitely intriguing.
Have you played the beta mate? Because it's literally a shoddy reskin of BF4. And I doubt a good story's gonna come out of the franchise that gives cops and robbers rocket launchers, especially as this is a franchise that's completely oriented around the multiplayer (which to date still doesn't even work in BF4, so I doubt Visceral will be able to make heads or tails of the hot potato they've had thrown towards them)

In the olden days where Battlefield was moddable, Hardline would be a project that would've been done (probably made better too, see Desert Combat) by modders, because they'd actually give a rats ass about their product. EA's just milking this for some extra bucks and it's painfully obvious. I love the BF franchise, but they're just hammering it into the ground with shoddy releases and reskins. BF4 itself is just a BF3 map pack in disguise with very little thrown in (think about it, there was more stuff put in for BFBC2: Vietnam).

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
"I based the story on two things I love: cops and criminals," Calhoun said. "It follows two good cops. Eventually they are set up by another group and then become criminals. They break out of prison and try to turn the tables on the people that set them up."
This sounds like it was written by a 5 year old....

Seriously, who let her write this? Or who allowed her to let her 5 year old nephew to write this?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Milham said that at the end of Dead Space 3, the team decided it wanted to try something different. "We needed a break from Dead Space and we wanted to do something other than sci-fi," he said."

Funny, from what I've heard Dead Space 3 was pretty much a complete "break" from Dead Space all by itself.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I get the "@ the end of Dead Space 3 the team wanted to go in a different direction." Especially considering Dead Space 3 did not do the Dead Space brand any justice. But the
we settled on the idea of cops and robbers in Battlefield without the soldiers.
reads like Grade A (ahem, "Grade EA") bullshit to me. As if they were really sitting around thinking "What to do next?" and someone said "Let's make a battlefield game, but make it cops and robbers."

If I were a betting man, I'd say they wanted to make "Hardline," but EA wouldn't sign off on a new IP, so they made them slap the BF name on there.

Vrach said:
Have you played the beta mate? Because it's literally a shoddy reskin of BF4.
And if that's the case, it sounds like some also said "don't waste resources developing a new engine, we need this out in the fall of 2014 in order to keep our annual BF release date. Build it off of BF4. That should be fine."

And then they ended up delaying it to 2015 anyway.

What does it say that I'm more excited about playing Diablo 2: Lord Of Destruction right now (picked it up again for the first time in over a decade to finally get past ACT 2), than I am for most of the games that I saw at this year's E3?

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
OT: the lame list won't do anything.

There will be helicopter crashes and cliches in Hardline. I guarantee it. It will also be a disaster on launch. I guarantee it.
I mean, for fuck's sake, there was a helicopter crash in the gameplay trailer! Do they expect people to believe this nonsense?

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
As long as they don't drag that asshole actor from Justified out of his troll cave...

I wish them all the best, I don't buy games from EA but I still hope their game will turn out good for them.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I guess this is supposed to make gamers think that Hardline won't be another disaster like BF4 and everything else EA produced in the last couple of years. Sorry EA, no dice. Hehe, get it? Dice. I'll show myself out.

captcha: oh sigh

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
woodaba said:
Ultratwinkie said:
OT: the lame list won't do anything.

There will be helicopter crashes and cliches in Hardline. I guarantee it. It will also be a disaster on launch. I guarantee it.
I mean, for fuck's sake, there was a helicopter crash in the gameplay trailer! Do they expect people to believe this nonsense?
I was thinking that there was, but I honestly couldn't be bothered to go back to watch the trailer to confirm. But I read that and thought "dafuq? You guys had a helicopter crash in the damn E3 trailer."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
tdylan said:
If I were a betting man, I'd say they wanted to make "Hardline," but EA wouldn't sign off on a new IP, so they made them slap the BF name on there.
I would guess that after Dead Space 3, EA handed them Battlefield: Hardline and told them it was that or closure and Visceral have done what they can.

I seriously doubt Visceral really 'wanted' to be put on annualised spin off duty, plus with the beta just gone it was pretty clear that Visceral weren't exactly given much creative freedom, money or time for a supposedly 'new' IP.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
John Keefer said:
[Ian Milham] said during a San Diego Comic Con panel about the game. "[...] I saw a show where two beat cops who are supposed to be the focus are talking and a soldier walks up who was even cooler than they were. Why would you want to introduce someone cooler than your stars?"
Maybe because "cool" isn't the greatest thing a character can be in every kind of story? I'm sure it might have made a little more sense in context but this makes Milham really seem like a Michael Bay-parody.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Simonism451 said:
John Keefer said:
[Ian Milham] said during a San Diego Comic Con panel about the game. "[...] I saw a show where two beat cops who are supposed to be the focus are talking and a soldier walks up who was even cooler than they were. Why would you want to introduce someone cooler than your stars?"
Maybe because "cool" isn't the greatest thing a character can be in every kind of story? I'm sure it might have made a little more sense in context but this makes Milham really seem like a Michael Bay-parody.
Very true. If they chase "being cool" above everything else, they're going to end up with Sonic the Hedgehog robbing a bank.

And they still seem to be focusing on ridiculously over the top action with Hardline anyway, rather than the desperation, the tension, the in-depth planning that actually makes cops vs. robbers stories exciting. I'm a big fan of the Payday series, and what makes those games fun is things like the tension between assault waves and the rush as you breach the vault, stuff like that. You can't just reskin another shooter, you have to completely redesign how it works.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
"I saw a show where two beat cops who are supposed to be the focus are talking and a soldier walks up who was even cooler than they were. Why would you want to introduce someone cooler than your stars?"

im pretty sure this is how 5 year olds talk

boy is this game shaping up worse and worse every time i read something about it