SDCC 2014: Watch the Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
SDCC 2014: Watch the Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer

The big hit of Comic-Con debuts online

SDCC attendees who were expecting the customary bombshells from Marvel, DC or Star Wars may have found themselves somewhat disappointed at this year's show, but one thing every report seemed to agree on was a big reaction for the first (publicly shown) trailer for George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014/12001-Director-George-Miller-Shows-Off-New-Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Footage] Now, that footage is online.

In the film, post-apocalyptic anti-hero "Mad" Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy) finds himself caught up in the conflict between a caravan of refugees led by cyborg Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) and marauders who control a wasteland they're attempting to cross. The film has been described as a feature-length chase-scene, with one action sequence in particular said to cover nearly 45 minutes of screentime.

This marks the first new entry in the Mad Max franchise, which takes place in a near-future world largely reduced to desert and scrapyard-savagery by dwindling natural resources, in almost three decades. The original 1979 film (and its more popular sequel, The Road Warrior) effectively re-invented the popular aesthetic of post-apocalyptic stories, brought Australian action-cinema to worldwide attention and made international stars of both Miller and a young Mel Gibson - who portrayed the original Max.

Fury Road is slated for release in May of 2015.

Source: Warner Bros UK [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0jUAzOsV8]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
I'm kind of sad that the old interceptor get destroy. =( (or at least a copy of it, for pretty sure that the current owner of the original wouldn't want his collection piece destroy =p)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

Y'know, I can actually see what the fuss was about. That was pretty bloody kick arse, not to mention surprisingly pretty.

I wouldn't have thought that Tom Hardy as Max would work, but now I think it totally could, with his whole soft-spoken-bordering-on-shy-bruiser thing.

Colour me presently surprised.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
iniudan said:
I'm kind of sad that the old interceptor get destroy. =( (or at least a copy of it, for pretty sure that the current owner of the original wouldn't want his collection piece destroy =p)
I know, completely forgetting it got blown up in mad max 2, not sure whats going on with that.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The look on Max's face at 1:11, when he was getting forcefully tattooed, is kind of... heart-breaking.

Everything else looks appropriately insane. I like how even with a single dominating colour, it doesn't end up looking monochromatic.

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
The trailer didn't fully sell me honestly. A lot of odd jump cuts and random action with far too much brown and rust color to really get the eye to focus on anything except the piles of rust and brown. That and the odd editing choices makes it look interesting but not mind blowing. It looks better than Beyond Thunder Dome but that is about it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
RA92 said:
The look on Max's face at 1:11, when he was getting forcefully tattooed, is kind of... heart-breaking.
As far as he knows they are tattooing dicks and ponies on his back so damn right he is worried.

FriendlyFyre

Aug 7, 2013
I'm already seeing people saying stuff about how it's just another dark and gritty reboot that will cover up all its ideas with solemn music and over the top violence.

While I can see where you might get that, what stops me from casting this judgement is damn CREATIVE the design of everything looks. This isn't just another Terminator Salvation where they threw in a bunch of new robots and had Christian Bale talking about the war, this is a trailer that has texture to every visual, whether it's the mask they put on Max, the way each car crash looks positively breathtaking thanks to each car looking completely bizarre, and all the actors look like they've stepped in from a parallel dimension, not just Hollywood's version of the post apocalypse.

I've only watched this trailer once, and I would probably be content to wait until it's in the theaters to see it again because those visuals and atmosphere are such a legitimate mindblower that I want to see them afresh on the big screen.

One thing, the music is supposed to be by Junie XL, but does anyone recognize that mournful song playing in the background?

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
wow Megan Gale at 1:53. Guess she's finally going to start her film career after all. Be interesting to see how she does as she was originally set to be Wonder Woman before the project got cancelled.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
josemlopes said:
RA92 said:
As far as he knows they are tattooing dicks and ponies on his back so damn right he is worried.
They're actually tattooing medical details. Notably blood type and a list of scars and physical traits.

Presumably they're slavers and they're labelling their stock. I'm guessing the women in white are also slaves captured by the same crew.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Sleekit said:
i don't get it.

there was always a bit more to Mad Max than "worlds gone to fuck...car chase !".

i sit, i watch, but i don't see what they want me to go watch bar the supposed spectacle...
The director George Miller has said in an interview that almost all of the film's action was made with practical effects and stuntmen, with "minimal CG" to back it up. I'd say that's a pretty big point in the film's favor.

On the other hand, I do share your fears that the film will be nothing but a Fast and Furious-esque action-romp, trading out all of the brilliant subtleties and slow building of the first two films in exchange for constant mind-numbing explosions. Nothing to do but wait and see I suppose.

Here's that interview btw:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/07/27/george-miller-mad-max-interview-comic-con/

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
iniudan said:
Didn't the exact same thing happen in Mad Max 2?

Anyway, looks really darn good, but that's what trailers are supposed to do, though this is the first trailer in a while to even get my juices flowing. And did that one chick have car parts for an arm? =)

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
That looks... fucking terrible. I guess I'm the odd one out, but it doesn't look like it'll have the atmosphere that Mad Max 2 had at all, which is what I loved most about the film. Granted, I thought the third movie was a pile of trash so it's not like the series was always solid, but still. I dunno, this just does not look like it'll hold a candle to Mad Max 2 or even the first film. Looks like a bunch of over-the-top action scenes with a lot of very out-of-place weird stuff and 300-esque imagery added in. Not really what I look for in post-apocalyptic fiction.

Cybele

Jun 7, 2010
Is it just me or does this new Max look kind of...wimpier when compared to the old one?

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
flarty said:
iniudan said:
I know, completely forgetting it got blown up in mad max 2, not sure whats going on with that.
I admit I had forgotten that.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I like the little tribute to Peter Weir's The Cars that Ate Paris in the car (bug) covered in spikes.

Other than that, not nearly Australian enough, needs more Bruce Spence.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
Nice teaser, as a few others have said it needs a bit more plot and sense before I'll be on board but I like the style, which is kinda what teasers are all about.

That said, why oh why did they have to give Max a gravel voice. It seems every Hollywood and video game hard-ass these days is suffering laryngitis, it started off as making a character seem kind of moody and hard-bitten but now every time I hear it I think unimaginative and trite.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
I gotta say, well-done. I was expecting a cynical reboot but, damn, I'm in. This looks like a movie from people that really care. I'll echo what some others are saying in that I'm hoping for some interesting story and some subtleties as well. But as a teaser, this definitely did the job of getting me hyped.