LEGO Releasing Gamer Minifigure in October

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
LEGO Releasing Gamer Minifigure in October

LEGO has unveiled its next collection of minifigures which will include among its ranks a gamer-themed character.

There are a lot of ways to know if you've made it in this world. Maybe you find yourself winning award or being referred to as an expert. Maybe your wallet gets fatter and you house gets bigger. Or, if you're truly lucky, you might find yourself among those elite few who have had the honor to be recreated in the miniature, plastic image of LEGO. It's a prize that only handfuls of people have been able to claim in our lifetime. That said, it's also one that gamers, as a community, can claim to have had at least a small taste of.

This is thanks to LEGO's latest batch of new mini-figures which, according to reports, will include a game themed character. The gamer, as pictured in released art, will feature brown hair, headphones, a classic style game controller and a black t-shirt that reads "Player 1." It's important to note that LEGO has yet to officially brand this as being a "gamer." Granted, we can't think of what else you might call it, but who knows? Maybe LEGO will throw us for a loop and come up with something unique.

Whatever the company decides to call it, we're going to go ahead and count this as a definite win for gamers. We might still fall prey to things like dumb politicians and evil ISPs, but going forward we'll at least be able to rest happy knowing that our culture has been immortalized in the same way as Batman, Han Solo and Homer Simpson. Truly we're rubbing elbows with the greats.

Each LEGO minifigure costs $3.99 each. The gamer minifigure will release in October 2014.

Source: The Brothers Brick

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
StewShearer said:
a definite win for gamers
How is being stereotyped as bespecticled, unkempt, male console gamers (with what I think is acne) a definite win?

I knew Lego were racist and sexist, but I never imagined they'd be proponents of geek hate culture.

This article is so going on my Tumblr blog.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
First point, back in the long long ago, before the dawn of time in an era we call the 1980's. My twin brother and I had custom made black tee shirts which said "player 1" and "player 2" on them. Because we were super cool.

BanicRhys said:
StewShearer said:
How is being stereotyped as bespecticled, unkempt, male console gamers (with what I think is acne) a definite win?

I knew Lego were racist and sexist, but I never imagined they'd be proponents of geek hate culture.

This article is so going on my blog.
I agree with everything you said and worse it almost looks like it's supposed to be a kid. but "this article is so going on my blog" may be the geekiest possible response to that.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Missing the most important thing in this picture....

Front row?
Next to the wizard?

Yes you found it.... that's The Hoff in lego form!

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Woot?

I'm not with those who think it conforms to a stereotype, but I think this is mainly done now because gaming has become so huge, that lots of people do it now. I don't see how it's a win for gamers, unless Lego was against gamers until now.

When I saw the surfer, I first thought of the character from the Lego Movie, but then I realized it looked nothing like that character. I like the miner, I see him just saying "Gold! I found Gold!" In Jesse Cox's voice, with an annoyed Total Biscuit Face Palming.

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
BanicRhys said:
StewShearer said:

...Such is the Escapist that I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
BanicRhys said:
StewShearer said:

I hope you are kiding, otherwise this is what you sound like

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
Woot?

I'm not with those who think it conforms to a stereotype, but I think this is mainly done now because gaming has become so huge, that lots of people do it now. I don't see how it's a win for gamers, unless Lego was against gamers until now.

When I saw the surfer, I first thought of the character from the Lego Movie, but then I realized it looked nothing like that character. I like the miner, I see him just saying "Gold! I found Gold!" In Jesse Cox's voice, with an annoyed Total Biscuit Face Palming.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who instantly thought of Jesse.

and what the hell is going on with the face of the guy with the rapier in the top right?

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Anyone else feel just a little creepy when you are at the toy store fondling the packages to find the ones you haven't gotten yet... I mean I don't do that!

Captcha: ladies, first (The comma is throwing me off)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Super Cyborg said:
Woot?

You answered your own question. Gaming has gone from this niche hobby that no one gets and is gradually climbing the ladder of "social acceptability". That gaming has gotten well-known enough that Lego is acknowledging the hobby with a mini-figure IS the win.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
BanicRhys said:
StewShearer said:

You are the kind of person who makes it so that no story can ever have anyone BUT white people, because the inclusion of any ethnic character will instantly get branded as "racist" based on the assumption that the story-writer must think that everyone of that ethnicity is like that character (regardless of whether or not the character has any given stereotype), and then turns around and calls "racism" on any story that doesn't include a character of every ethnicity claiming that the author must hate whichever race wasn't included in the story.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
BanicRhys said:

And you can just replace the head and hair pieces while retaining the accessories. Swap in the head from the female scientist if you want glasses.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err when I read the title and image (on the Facebook image showing the whole group), I thought the news was about Lego making Gamer minifigure as in Tabletop roleplay figures mainly cos of that wizard and that warrior with the nunchuck figures at the center. It was only when I read the article itself and looking for the said Gamer minifigure that I understood the whole news.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
I still don't see what the big deal is. Lego's whole collectable minifigure series focuses on fictional and real-life roles too small for full on sets. It is no surprise that they would add a "gamer" to the series.

What I want to see is lego making a vaporwave figure for the series!