Why Sci-Fi Thriller Sunshine Makes Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011

Why didn't they just go ahead and call it Sobshine?

Read Full Article

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
I... I... just... what is this? I mean what is this supposed to be? I'm terribly confused. It's like someone took Sunshine, a fantastic little film with oodles of complexity backed in and a truly sorrowful, melancholic beauty, and just... I don't know, reduced it until it becomes nonsensical and then dipped it in some odd caricature (god I hope it's caricature) of dudebro.... I mean is this parody, an honest review?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
EnigmaticSevens said:
I... I... just... what is this? I mean what is this supposed to be? I'm terribly confused. It's like someone took Sunshine, a fantastic little film with oodles of complexity backed in and a truly sorrowful, melancholic beauty, and just... I don't know, reduced it until it becomes nonsensical and then dipped it in some odd caricature (god I hope it's caricature) of dudebro.... I mean is this parody, an honest review?
It's supposed to be a funny look at parts of manly movies that make guys cry. The goal is for dudebros to realize their macho movies have emotional cores.

Does that help?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Honestly?

Sunshine is probably at the top spot of my favourite movie list. Oh, there are good movies, there are fantastic movies, there's 12 Angry Men and The Avengers all struggling for a place...

And then there's this. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about this film that just is. It's... real. Despite the fact that the plot revolves around the sun dying for unspecified-unless-you-read-the-website reasons.

Although guys, I have to say, you missed my own personal favourite moment, shortly after Chris Evans gets frozen (again - no wonder he's good at acting it, he's had a lot of practise). When, despite everything, Capa falls over. It's funny, humbling, heartbreaking and terrifying all at once. And Cillian Murphy absolutely sells it.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
Firefilm said:
EnigmaticSevens said:
It's supposed to be a funny look at parts of manly movies that make guys cry. The goal is for dudebros to realize their macho movies have emotional cores.

Does that help?
Oh thank god, the parody is implicit! That is a massive relief... i was, I was very worried for a moment there. Well I suppose it's a lovely enough spring board for a discussion concerning the inherent emotional nature of damn near any creative expression. Though I don't know if you'll meet your stated goal... dudebro and average escapist reader seem to be pretty mutually exclusive groups and naming Sunshine a manly movie feels akin to naming the Fountain a 'manly' movie (though... I wouldn't be at odds with that definition of manliness... come to think of it).

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
The_Darkness said:
Honestly?

Sunshine is probably at the top spot of my favourite movie list. Oh, there are good movies, there are fantastic movies, there's 12 Angry Men and The Avengers all struggling for a place...

And then there's this. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about this film that just is. It's... real. Despite the fact that the plot revolves around the sun dying for unspecified-unless-you-read-the-website reasons.

Although guys, I have to say, you missed my own personal favourite moment, shortly after Chris Evans gets frozen (again - no wonder he's good at acting it, he's had a lot of practise). When, despite everything, Capa falls over. It's funny, humbling, heartbreaking and terrifying all at once. And Cillian Murphy absolutely sells it.
Oh man, you're so right! When he just trips and is so angry with himself! Love it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Firefilm said:

Why didn't they just go ahead and call it Sobshine?

Read Full Article
This is an opportune time to bring up Chris Evans' role in The Iceman. You know what his character is called? Mr. Freezy.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Firefilm said:
Oh man, you're so right! When he just trips and is so angry with himself! Love it.
What's even more moving is you can see the weight of all of humanity's future on his back when tries to get up, he is hurt, tired, but he knows he cannot stop and if he fails, he fails everyone. Capa's Jump, and Kaneda's sacrifice are probably the greatest Sci-Fi I have seen in years. Searle's fanatical obsession with the Sun, the "Tell me what you see?!?!" part of Kaneda's sacrifice... Wow, it was envy in his voice I heard, not pity or fear. He wanted to punch out like that, and he did. I also don't get the hatred from the last act, Pinbacker is one of my all time favorite villains, a man whose only goal is to be the last human alive, alone with God. How fucking crazy is that? He also has one of the greatest quotes I have ever heard in a movie...

At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust. ~Pinbacker
How tiny and insignificant that makes me feel. He may have been a slasher in space, but there was far more to him than any Jason, Freddy or Michael.

Also Snowpiercer, the premise is absurd, I expected a Sharknado or some equal drivel I would turn off in less than 5 minutes... I did not expect that... Not at all.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Sunshine is GREAT. I know a lot of folks have beat up on the third act, but holy crap -- I loved it. I remember seeing it in the theater and freaking out when Icarus II tells Capa there's a fifth crew member. I absolutely lost my sh*t. Sunshine could have meandered toward a by-the-numbers kind of ending with more unforeseen technical challenges hindering them on their final approach but I felt the apppearance of Pinbacker was completely unexpected and took the film to another gear.

And I'm extremely glad the author paid special attention to Chris Evans. His acting was top notch, and his death scene was fantastic. When you really think about it, Mace is the hero of the movie. He's singularly committed to the mission, and doesn't hesitate to put himself at risk or sacrifice his life to ensure the mission succeeds.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
EnigmaticSevens said:
Firefilm said:
EnigmaticSevens said:

Does that help?
Oh thank god, the parody is implicit! That is a massive relief... i was, I was very worried for a moment there. Well I suppose it's a lovely enough spring board for a discussion concerning the inherent emotional nature of damn near any creative expression. Though I don't know if you'll meet your stated goal... dudebro and average escapist reader seem to be pretty mutually exclusive groups and naming Sunshine a manly movie feels akin to naming the Fountain a 'manly' movie (though... I wouldn't be at odds with that definition of manliness... come to think of it).
Well, The Fountain is about a man's struggle to deal with his grief at the potential loss of a loved one, and how he deals/ignores the emotions related to it. So yeah, I would say it's a manly movie xD Since the entire story is about a man's emotional state over time. I love The Fountain btw, especially the soundtrack. It's so powerful and intimate. It feels like the sound of someone sitting in a room alone, in the quiet, dealing with their thoughts. Love it love it love it.

OT: I loved Starshine too, and Chris Evans' character is the main reason. Given how often he had to keep verbally slapping the crew to remind them "hey, did you guys forget we're here to try and save the entire human race from dying?! stop acting like this is some reality show, get over your drama, and do the job!! everything else is secondary!"

Loved that so much about his character.

Exley97 said:
And I'm extremely glad the author paid special attention to Chris Evans. His acting was top notch, and his death scene was fantastic. When you really think about it, Mace is the hero of the movie. He's singularly committed to the mission, and doesn't hesitate to put himself at risk or sacrifice his life to ensure the mission succeeds.
Yes, this, this very much.