New Red Alert Lines Up A Celebrity Jungle

Feb 13, 2008
New Red Alert Lines Up A Celebrity Jungle

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3: Uprising keeps the fan favourites, and adds a whole host of new stars.

The curvaceous Jamie Chung (Dragonball Evolution) will be playing Takara, Jodi Lyn O'Keefe (Prison Break) will be Kelly Weaver while Holly Valance (Dead Or Alive) will be playing Brenda Snow, roving reporter.

For the president of the European Union, President Eden himself, Malcom McDowell fresh from his Heroes/Wing Commander work; and last, but by no means least, WWF legend Ric "Nature Boy" Flair as Commander Hill.

"Quality live-action movies and storytelling have always been a unique component to the Command & Conquer DNA and we wanted to make sure we did things right with Uprising," said Amer Ajami, Senior Producer at EA Los Angeles. "We are really pleased we were able to assemble another large and talented ensemble for Uprising, and we think our fans are going to be pleased by everyone's performances, not only in the cutscenes, but also in Commander's Challenge, where you'll actually be battling some of our stars."

Commenting on his role as Commander Hill, 16-time world heavyweight wrestling champion, Ric Flair, said: "Woooooooooooo!"

George Takei, Tim Curry, Jenny McCarthy, Gemma Atkinson and Ivana Milicevic will also be returning, almost certainly along with the DRM.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/27-01-2009-10490.html]

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Dear god..

They have sold their soul to the Devil.

Religious euphemisms aside, I'm sick to death of EA selling these games on the celebrities and should start trying to actually sell it on being a good game. I own every single Westwood and EA game in this series and yet this one just makes me sick to my stomach.

Edit: Wait. RA3 isn't really a very good game. Sigh.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Ahaha... Ric Flair. Honestly..
Oh well, I shall enjoy the hilarity nonetheless.. and the beauty. Like I've said before though.. why make Tanya a blonde? Why, oh why?

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Do they think casting celebrities will up their sales?

She sure is hot...

*Slaps his face*

No, not buying it.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Soooo... Is there any new gameplay too or did they just lob in 6 new faces for the upper left corner of the screen should you ever decide that you want an ally ai in your skirmish?

Feb 13, 2008
There's a new "Beat The Commander" mode where you have to survive challenges set by "The Nature Boy", everything else is still under wraps.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Does anyone even care about this? All I've heard about RA3, and now Uprising, is the actors involved, the quality of the scripts and the hammy acting everyone got to have fun with. I tried the demo and came away cold. I haven't had a single person even mention RA3 to me as worth playing, much less give me any positive feedback.

So what's are they doing here? Are they making a game, or just cranking out really expensive comedy eps?

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Aurora219 said:
Dear god..

They have sold their soul to the Devil.

Religious euphemisms aside, I'm sick to death of EA selling these games on the celebrities and should start trying to actually sell it on being a good game. I own every single Westwood and EA game in this series and yet this one just makes me sick to my stomach.

Edit: Wait. RA3 isn't really a very good game. Sigh.
While I am always amazed at how easily the C&C franchise gets real actors and good voice actors I am also disappointed at how the game has lacked any real progression from the days of old. Sure they look a lot prettier now, but that is about it! There is never anything truly 'new' in this game series. Sure the units change a little but that is just a new coat of paint on the old units to begin with so doesn't count as real change. It definitely isn't progression!

They don't even make real upgrades to the AI for the scantly clad goddesses sake!

For example: I watched a whole wing of anti-ground heli's being shot to pieces by ONE rocket guy all because he was out of their 'return fire range.' I kid you not, they where not set to guard this spot or hold fire but they just sat there. They let one man blow them all away, simply because he didn't come close enough to for the 'return fire' script to kick in!

Same when I leave artillery units to defend my base defences against their own 'can out shoot your heaviest base defence' units. I was busy with an attack force and a single enemy artillery unit pulverised all my base defences. My units didn't fire at this unit cause their 'engage script' has LESS range then the range of their weapons.

Try to move two different units, needed in this game to combat the fact they have pidgin holed each unit to a set tactic. If your anti air moves faster then your anti armour it will always end up being blown to bits by one ground unit they can't fire on. All cause they have moved ahead of the units capable of defending their sorry arses.

And don't get me started on the wave tank... it seems that it will always find the most devastating way to blow it's own people up more then the enemy. I kid you not, do not use more then one of these units and even then you have to micro manage it so it will fire only at stationary targets far out of the range of other units! Other wise it will always sit at the BACK of your army, being a slow unit, and shoot through your men to get units that where already being devastated by your front line troops.

I still remember using them the first time. I had eight of them... I lost four when the back line fired through the front line at a single infantry unit. I just watched that and thought 'well even if I suffered a head blow and decided to play this POS game online I know what side I WON'T be taking.'

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Malygris said:
Does anyone even care about this? All I've heard about RA3, and now Uprising, is the actors involved, the quality of the scripts and the hammy acting everyone got to have fun with. I tried the demo and came away cold. I haven't had a single person even mention RA3 to me as worth playing, much less give me any positive feedback.

So what's are they doing here? Are they making a game, or just cranking out really expensive comedy eps?
I liked RA3, it did add online co-op which was new, I think. That said though I looked at the EA games site and it I think it was $aud80 for an expansion, with no multiplayer? Im command and conquer fanboy but I still am not sure if I'll buy this game (but I probably will for the commanders challenge mode).

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
George Takei, Tim Curry, Jenny McCarthy, Gemma Atkinson and Ivana Milicevic will also be returning, almost certainly along with the DRM.
I can't wait to play the "Fight the DRM" mode! Awesome. Will he be in the cutscenes?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
There's a new "Beat The Commander" mode where you have to survive challenges set by "The Nature Boy", everything else is still under wraps.
Whenever EA introduces a new mode to one of their games e.g. in Kane's Wrath they had a new mode (Global Conquest mode) that was like skirmish, except on a much bigger scale, and could take hours.

They failed then and are gonna fail with this new mode. I did like Red Alert 3, but EA is forgetting that Uprising is an EXPANSION, not a new game.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
You all depress me. Red Alert 3 is a memorable real-time strategy game, not only for the fact that its intuitive if not balls-to-the-wall hilarious single player campaign has a row of Hollywood actors and tits so bright that they make the Sun want to blink, but the game play remains mostly true to the previous games, which were classics in their own rights, if not inventing and improving on the C&C: Red Alert experience. On any given morning I can find hundreds of people lined up to do war in several languages. It's smart, it's strategic, and not only is it Command and Conquer, it's the bloody Russians hurling lightning death and parachuting bears at J.K. Simmons and Hikaru Sulu (though, because this involves time traveling, Kaito Nakamura might be an easier connection). It's non-sense, to be honest, but it's convincing story telling with good acting; the direction hardly matters. It's like chiding Monty Python for being silly, and there's a whole guild of writers that also disagree on the point that Red Alert 3 was bad because sometimes the sheer ridiculousness made you want to do horrendous things to a liquor bottle. It's a fucking fine game, a true game by anybody's definition, and I feel like I'm absolutely vindicated by its very existence in saying it.

Oh, and there was DRM. We know. Get over it.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Sigenrecht said:
You all depress me. Red Alert 3 is a memorable real-time strategy game, not only for the fact that its intuitive if not balls-to-the-wall hilarious single player campaign has a row of Hollywood actors and tits so bright that they make the Sun want to blink, but the game play remains mostly true to the previous games, which were classics in their own rights, if not inventing and improving on the C&C: Red Alert experience. On any given morning I can find hundreds of people lined up to do war in several languages. It's smart, it's strategic, and not only is it Command and Conquer, it's the bloody Russians hurling lightning death and parachuting bears at J.K. Simmons and Hikaru Sulu (though, because this involves time traveling, Kaito Nakamura might be an easier connection). It's non-sense, to be honest, but it's convincing story telling with good acting; the direction hardly matters. It's like chiding Monty Python for being silly, and there's a whole guild of writers that also disagree on the point that Red Alert 3 was bad because sometimes the sheer ridiculousness made you want to do horrendous things to a liquor bottle. It's a fucking fine game, a true game by anybody's definition, and I feel like I'm absolutely vindicated by its very existence in saying it.

You get depressed by people having different opinions then you?

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Was there even DRM? There might well have been, but it was the least strict DRM I've ever seen. My brother bought a copy and I now have free access to Red Alert 3 - You don't even need the disk to launch! Why have people moaned and bitched about DRM to the ends of the earth, but no-one seems to have picked up on this?

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Sigenrecht said:

I get depressed because people have seemed to disregard this shining example of the RTS genre entirely. And the whole DRM thing did make shiver a bit in trepidation, but the installation and the four installations I've made have gone as smoothly as my face after a morning shave; if there was supposed to be something bad, I sure as hell didn't notice and still can't give a fuck about.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Sigenrecht said:
Asehujiko said:
Sigenrecht said:

I get depressed because people have seemed to disregard this shining example of the RTS genre entirely. And the whole DRM thing did make shiver a bit in trepidation, but the installation and the four installations I've made have gone as smoothly as my face after a morning shave; if there was supposed to be something bad, I sure as hell didn't notice and still can't give a fuck about.
Just because it doesn't affect you it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and that everybody else should ignore it entirely. Might as well go ignoring Darfur completely because we aren't the ones being shot at. Just so you know, i'm one of the people screwed out of a $80 collectors edition because of it.

Also, shining example? Bad pathing, useless matchmaking function, poor balance, highly limited tactics and an enormous pile of bugs and glitches sure make an example for the genre.