BioWare Releases New "You've Been Chosen" Live Action Teaser

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
BioWare Releases New "You've Been Chosen" Live Action Teaser

Dragon Age and Mass Effect developer BioWare released a second mysterious teaser for a new property.

At Gamescom later this month, BioWare is going to have something new to show to gamers. A new video, called "YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN: Spark Teaser" popped up yesterday, [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136388-BioWare-Chooses-You-For-New-Horror-Title-See-Nightmare-Here"]one week after the "Nightmare" teaser[/a]. There still isn't much to go on, but this new video is more Heroes than Lovecraft.

For the most part, all the clues seem to be the same, with a mention of Cologne, Germany, home of gaming trade fair Gamescom. BioWare has had a presence at Gamescom in the past, and with the upcoming [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11657-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Demo-Your-Stories-are-Thedas-Stories"]Dragon Age: Inquisition[/a] we should expect the developer to show off more of its fantasy RPG. But it looks like The company that made Mass Effect and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has something else in store.

Both videos are similar in style when it comes to visuals and sound, but there are definite differences in the message. The [a href="http://youtu.be/32bLpcBoxT8"]first trailer[/a] relied on creepy imagery and ended with the line "What really happens when we sleep?" The new teaser shows a young man working on a cryptic doodle and dismissing phone calls. After a bit of heavy static pops between his hand and his phone, a bolt of lightning explodes in the restaurant, leaving the already anxious youth pretty shocked. Before cutting to black, we see a hooded figure watching the events from outside the restaurant. Which fits well with this video's closing line, "Do you know they are watching?"

Mystery surrounds these teasers, and there is still not much to go on from [a href="http://www.youve-been-chosen.com/en/"]the website the videos link to[/a]. Assuming BioWare keeps up this pattern, we should expect one more teaser on Thursday, the 7th, before Gamescom starts on August 13th.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There still isn't much to go on, but this new video is more Heroes than Lovecraft.
So now I'm worried that after a promising first chapter, we will completely be let down by a series of underwhelming reveals and new twists with only a fraction of the intrigue, before the game peters out in a boilerplate and unspectacular ending.

...I don't know what to say about the trailer, except it struck me more as the darker Kevin Blake spinoff nobody wanted.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm feeling either aliens or a superpower RPG. Both sound pretty awesome. They caught my attention with these.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Anybody else getting a real strong The Secret World vibe off that?

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
JoJoDelight said:
Fuck Bioware, they are sitting on a perfectly great property with Jade Empire.
The miserable failure of that "perfectly good property" to actually sell was what drove them into the arms of EA.

I personally wouldn't mind a new Jade Empire game, but I'd be a fool to expect it.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I see sigils and circles of flame. I theorize a conjunction between Bioware and Atlus to co-create the next canonical installment of Persona involving a demonic incursion, massive online multiplayer, and the witching hour.

Seriously, though. I understand this is a hype trailer, but it's not really giving the viewer a ground to stand on. If they came out and said, "Demons," I'd be pretty excited that the company's next title is getting into new territory or something. This looks more like the advert for a new supernatural television show.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
There still isn't much to go on, but this new video is more Heroes than Lovecraft.
....the game peters out in a boilerplate and unspectacular ending.
I think you meant one of three color coded less than spectacular endings. ;)

OT: I have been chosen? To what not have any of my choices matter?
I think I will choose to not participate either
1) ever or
2) until the last game in the series is delivered, and I can be sure there is not a $60 steaming pile of shit in the last game box.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I'm getting dry to the bone with all of these "chosen one", "destiny", "special" plot devices. I'm bored of it.

This is starting to look like one of those.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
They're interesting for what they are so I guess they're sort of working on me as teasers.
I'm just not really that much of a fan of live action or CG trailers.

Zachary Amaranth said:
So now I'm worried that after a promising first chapter, we will completely be let down by a series of underwhelming reveals and new twists with only a fraction of the intrigue, before the game peters out in a boilerplate and unspectacular ending.
Stop almost talking about Mass Effect already.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Slash2x said:
I think you meant one of three color coded less than spectacular endings. ;)
Bah, I count those as one ending with three different colour filters!

Alpha Maeko said:
I'm getting dry to the bone with all of these "chosen one", "destiny", "special" plot devices. I'm bored of it.

This is starting to look like one of those.
It's Bioware. Hell, the odds were already about 50-50 when it was announced it was a video game, but it's Bioware. The odds of them making a game about anything else are approximately 3,720 to 1.

Grimh said:
Stop almost talking about Mass Effect already.
Oh God, I wish Heroes was only as bad as Mass Effect when it came to that stuff. I refer to the first entry only, mind.

Vanished

Jul 5, 2014
This looks intriguing! I'm fairly sure it's a stalking simulator where you play as the jealous ex but with supernatural abilities.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm guessing an "urban fantasy" game what with the trailers having real world locations and having hints of the supernatural. Could be an interesting game. I think RPGs need to get beyond just swords and sorcery; even sci-fi is kinda limited.

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
ticklefist said:

Pretty much. Even pointed that out elsewhere and was pleased to see quite a few people respond with "Yes!" Considering TSW was such a phenomenal game that just couldn't step out of the shadows (no pun intended) because of it's MMO handicap I'd love to see what a major studio like BioWare could do with a similar if not wholly exact setting while bringing it's brand of Role Playing and storytelling. Ironically Ragnar Tornquist, who wrote the core story and lore for The Secret World, has always worked by a similar code of storytelling ethics as BioWare. His brain and their skills would have gone great together. Pity it never happened, though this could very well be the nearest thing.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
ticklefist said:

A bit yeah. It's a shame the game never really took off. The beta was so close to being really good but had a few fundamental issues. Maybe if it wasn't an MMO (as said above) it would have been great.
Still, maybe I'll give it a go next summer. Haven't got the time to really get into an MMO with University starting up (lack of game-capable pc notwithstanding). And then there's also The Old Republic which I've not had a chance to try yet.

Edit: Whoops. Got a bit off topic there.
I'm interested to see where this goes. It'd be nice to have a solid RPG in the modern (or is it called modern fantasy? Whatever modern+magic is called) setting. As much as I love fantasy and Sci-fi, it's refreshing to see a new setting explored; plus modern times + sci-fi (cyberpunk) and modern times + magic are super interesting yet sadly under-done. Hopefully this is something interesting.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I dunno. I am getting a very tired vibe from this. I would appreciate if we had a little more to go off of because otherwise we have absolutely no idea on what direction to contemplate the contents of the trailer. Are you being stalked by a Cthulu cult in the modern world, are you being recruited to do battle with sparkly vampires, be possessed by demons, or is something not human going to entrust their future in you? The trailer tries to be very atmospheric but I felt nothing.

P.S. Your quote is a spoiler.