Legend of Korra Review: Zaheer Explains It All

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra Review: Zaheer Explains It All

Korra finally learns Zaheer's backstory. Time for exposition!

Read Full Article

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Zaheer is easily the most sympathetic villain in the Avatar series. He isn't focused on revenge or conquest, he actually thinks things though before doing them, and he can actually speak to people without sounding ridiculously evil.

The fight between Bolin, Mako and the Red Lotus guys was obviously going to have that conclusion, given that they held off Mako, Bolin and 20 or so metal benders in the last episode.

Also in this episode, bondage.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
kailus13 said:
Zaheer is easily the most sympathetic villain in the Avatar series. He isn't focused on revenge or conquest, he actually thinks things though before doing them, and he can actually speak to people without sounding ridiculously evil.
Yeah, I really like the Red Lotus group so far. It's closer to what they were able to do with the Fire Nation (as in when they showed the school system, etc)
Also in this episode, bondage.
50 Shades of Bending

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The fighting scene seen to get more impressive in each passing (Bolin vs the Lava guy was a poor matchup).

Also I am now under the impression that the queen must of set up a "No spirits in Ba Sing Se" rule or the spirit got the bad vibe from that city if that village is crawling of spirits.

The Red Lotus motive is a interesting one unlike Unalaq but I sitll wonder what they will do once they got hold of Korra? Speaking of which we all know how the Red Lotus will played out in the next episode (stuck a deal and betray the queen or may even "recuse" Korra but it will all lead to the Queen guards getting a beaten epecially the Dai Li).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm hoping to see Katara, Toph, and Zuko go nuts as the original Team Avatar!

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
This episode was definitely a major dip in the season. The stakeout was pretty boring, only somewhat bearable because I love any scene that helps flush out Asami as a character.

I was alittle worried that they only brought in Zuko to exaggerate how dangerous the Red Lotus can be and was hoping that Zaheer would prove himself to be a real villain. I mean this Red Lotus could have easily been a two episode side note in a larger story.

The interest in the Red Lotus just fell through the floor for me. He basically came out as a religious Joker with manners. Maybe they would have been able to sell it to me if it wasn't him just explaining everything.

The only thing I can appreciate is how the Red Lotus is related to the White Lotus and Unalaq. I mean any part of the White Lotus must be extremely dangerous and would be a good place to gina a villain.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, so my suspicions about what Zaheer's group is all about were confirmed by this episode. I do think it's a shame they took the well-meaning extremist thing a little too far. Someone with ideals you can understand, be sympathetic to and even rally behind if it weren't for his methods.

I feel it might have been more interesting if Zaheer's goals were more reasonable and presented in such a way that it becomes clear to both Korra and the audience that, while radical, they really would be the best thing for the world. But of course, pretty much everyone else wouldn't agree. Maybe create some dilemma between Korra doing what she knows is right in the long run and what everyone expects her to do.

Scarim Coral said:
Speaking of which we all know how the Red Lotus will played out in the next episode (stuck a deal and betray the queen or may even "recuse" Korra but it will all lead to the Queen guards getting a beaten epecially the Dai Li).
I'm kinda hoping the Red Lotus instead strikes a deal with part or all of Team Korra into teaming up against the Queen, betraying them and then it devolves into a three-way battle between them and the Queen's forces. Because why not?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Mcoffey said:
Is it bad I kind of agree with Zehir? Gotta knock down an old house to build a new one. He might be taking it a bit too far though. Hopefully they at least wipe out the Earth Dynasty before Korra takes him down.
Here's some questions for Zehir and anyone who agrees with him.

What's to stop them from just making new kingdoms/cities/nations? (what's to stop the Earth kingdom from having a new Dynasty that is corrupt, or gets corrupt later)

Even if you do get rid of the current ones, it's not like they can't make more.

And if this is going to be like Zehir becoming like the Fire lord going around burning everything or whatever, or being like Korra's uncle turning into a giant destruction monster.
Going around making sure nobody can make anymore nations, how is that better than the order that was there before?
It would just end with him replacing all the evil that he wants to destroy.

I agree, he isn't the most hateable villain so far in avatar, but Amon had a much better plan in my opinion. ;p

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Is it bad I kind of agree with Zehir? Gotta knock down an old house to build a new one. He might be taking it a bit too far though. Hopefully they at least wipe out the Earth Dynasty before Korra takes him down.
I don't think bad to kinda agree with with him but saying "might be taking it a bit too far" is a major understatement. If look hard enough through the beliefs of some of the most dreaded people in history you would probably find a basic beliefs you agree with among the many horrible and extreme beliefs.

I do agree with Zaheer, that a leader like the earth queen is trouble it would be better if she was not leading the earth kingdom and that the fire lord is was bad person. I am even willing to say I kinda hope the earth queen is killed next episode. there is hope since
the next episode is called "long live the queen". that phrase is part of a proclamation made after a monarch is dead and replaced with a new monarch. and Zaheer does not liker tyrants.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Mcoffey said:
Imp Emissary said:
Mcoffey said:

What's to stop them from just making new kingdoms/cities/nations? (what's to stop the Earth kingdom from having a new Dynasty that is corrupt, or gets corrupt later)

And if this is going to be like Zehir becoming like the Fire lord going around burning everything or whatever, or being like Korra's uncle turning into a giant destruction monster.
Going around making sure nobody can make anymore nations, how is that better than the order that was there before?
It would just end with him replacing all the evil that he wants to destroy.

I agree, he isn't the most hateable villain so far in avatar, but Amon had a much better plan in my opinion. ;p
I think the ideal is that the next thing will be better. Doesn't usually work out that way, but hey, happy thoughts. And I totally agree about Amon. He's still the best villain out of either Avatar show.
It doesn't sound like he wants to stop at just killing all the leaders and taking a holiday. To destroy nations, you have to do far more than killing their Queen/King/Lord/President/whatever. Normally, such involves killing a lot of civilians too.

I agree with Zehir, in that the world could be better. However, breaking everything just because you don't like some of it isn't such a great solution.

"Throwing out the baby, with the bath water", and what not.
Zehir's plan is just too "idealistic" for me. Then again, we don't have ALL the details of his plan yet. Maybe he'll surprise us.

Also, yes. Amon was great. >:D

He should have actually burned his face. Would have saved him lots of trouble.

Jan 18, 2012
Between Zaheer, Amon, and N from Pokemon Black/White, it just confirms my theory that the most dangerous villains are the ones who think they're the hero.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I like the idea of the Red Lotus but I think they gave them to much of an Anarchic theme. The White Lotus was all about maintaining balance in one way or another, and I wish that the Red Lotus was just a version of this with a more extreme process. The White Lotus helped Aang and Zuko commit a rebellion and basically a coup and they left it at that. I think it would be better if the Red Lotus weren't so much of the idea that Anarchy and Chaos are the natural states of the world, but rather that leaders like the Earth Queen, Zuko, and even the President of Republic City have garnered to much power, and must now be killed, so that some of that power can trickle back down to the people. When you have Zaheer say things like Chaos is the natural order and we must destroy all governments then it's just to easy to write him off as a mundane villain. If he made the argument that society and governments are necessary, but that they have grown out of control, then we'd be getting back to "Amon" levels of really interesting and fun villains.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Also I am now under the impression that the queen must of set up a "No spirits in Ba Sing Se" rule or the spirit got the bad vibe from that city if that village is crawling of spirits.
Most likely the spirits are avoiding Ba Sing Se due to all the suffering and lack of natural environments as well as the horribly corrupt government.

Seriously, even Kyoshi had to deal with a corrupt Earth Kingdom government in Ba Sing Se. That place is just plain bad.

The Red Lotus motive is a interesting one unlike Unalaq but I sitll wonder what they will do once they got hold of Korra? Speaking of which we all know how the Red Lotus will played out in the next episode (stuck a deal and betray the queen or may even "recuse" Korra but it will all lead to the Queen guards getting a beaten epecially the Dai Li).
I kinda feel like they retroactively made Unalaq more interesting, considering he was revealed as a member of the Red Lotus himself. Just one that acted on his own for his own personal gain and power.

I'm interested to see where this goes, though. The Earth Queen needs her comeuppance and I wouldn't mind the Red Lotus delivering it to her. Maybe have Korra save her at the last minute and make the Queen realize how awful she has been acting.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
kailus13 said:
I'd probably hand the "most-sympathetic-villain" trophy to someone else (Zuko [if he counts as a villain], Amon or maybe even Azula).

That said, Zaheer's still concretely a step in the right direction. He's a capable antagonist with clear goals (that are sympathetic, but too extreme for the audience to easily back his side). TLoK needs some of that, what with the clusterfuck of Season 2's antagonists.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I went ahead and bought a season pass for book 3 on Vudu because of how bad Nick's site is. When you google "watch legend of korra season 3" Nick's site is like the 4th result down which is really really stupid. And their video player is truly awful like you mentioned. Why can't Nickelodeon do anything right?

TheRiddler said:
kailus13 said:
I'd probably hand the "most-sympathetic-villain" trophy to someone else (Zuko [if he counts as a villain], Amon or maybe even Azula).

That said, Zaheer's still concretely a step in the right direction. He's a capable antagonist with clear goals (that are sympathetic, but too extreme for the audience to easily back his side). TLoK needs some of that, what with the clusterfuck of Season 2's antagonists.
Amon started out as really sympathetic because his goals actually made a lot of sense because of how bad the council was in Republic City. But his reveal was really disappointing: he's just some waterbending chump with daddy and brother issues. His ideals weren't really given any closure either it was pretty much just everything stays the same. And then what does season 2 do? They give us another waterbending chump with daddy and brother issues. I think Zaheer is definitely the best villain so far but I'm still prepared for a terrible ending. Here's to hoping he doesn't have daddy and brother issues.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Anyone else a little suspicious besides Chief Bei Fong that Suyin might be a Red Lotus member or at the very least a sympathizer? When she asked Korra if she agreed that a monarchy/tyranny like the ***** queen of Ba Sing Se has too much power and there isn't any need for such an establishment anymore it sounded like she was fishing a bit.

In response to Zaheer I'd totally be for overthrowing the ***** Queen and pretty much anyone else like her. However! Achieving their goals would result in MASSIVE death, destruction, ruination, so on and so forth. ***** Queen takes what she wants with total disregard to who suffers for it because it fits her world view with that she has absolute power and absolute say; while the Red Lotus wants to destroy the world and selfishly believe it'll be recreated with their own idealized view. Another correlation; the Red Lotus have no problems with kidnapping a child and brainwashing/indoctrinating said child to get what they want. ***** Queen kidnaps air benders to forcibly train them into becoming her own army. Or am I just digging in the wrong direction here?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Imp Emissary said:

Entropy, bro! From the second you're born you start to die, and from the second a government is established it starts to corrupt. Anarchists are the necessary purge that burns out the rot of the old system so the seeds of the new system can be sown, then once the new system inevitably grows too bloated and corrupt the process starts again. it's all cyclical.

well, that was more than enough armchair sociology from me for one day, on to the episode. XD

I enjoyed most of it. well animated, loved the humor, and the exposition. Zaheer's agenda seems a tad too simple for now, I'm hoping there's more to it, but at least we have a name for the antagonists and a general reason for being from them.

Also, bondage, but also also I'm glad they revisited the earth queen subplot. I was legitimately afraid they may have let that issue lie as just a temporary obstacle to acquiring the airbenders.