Details on Batman's Career in Batman v Superman Sneak Out

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Details on Batman's Career in Batman v Superman Sneak Out

Spoiler alert! We've got new details on the background of Bruce Wayne -- and his bat-themed alter ego -- in Dawn of Justice.

We might have seen our first glimpse of Badass Digest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136665-Batman-v-Superman-Set-Footage-Reveals-First-Look-at-Bruce-Wayne]. Needless to say, the story elements shared below dive into spoiler warning territory, so bear that in mind before reading on.

If you watched the video, you probably noticed that Affleck's Bruce Wayne had a little greying at the temples? As it turns out, the Batman in Batman v Superman has been fighting crime for close to thirty years, which would put Bruce Wayne in his 50s. It's been said that this version of Batman is "an urban legend, a creature of the night, and no one has ever taken his picture." Even if they haven't been documented in the film, Affleck's Batman has seen plenty of action, and the Batcave even includes a memorial centered around a tattered Robin costume -- though it hasn't been revealed which iteration of the Boy Wonder this is. Additionally, this version of Batman is a "quieter operator, not involved in blockbuster battles but in all sorts of badass vigilantism," which is in stark contrast to Christian Bale's gravely-voiced Bats. Another tidbit from the same report claims that Wonder Woman (played by Gal Gadot) has "also been in operation" for some time before Batman v Superman begins -- her activities have just been as secretive as the Batman, though they're "badass" in a "very different and unexpected way."

In related news, DC and Warner have moved the release date of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice to March instead of May [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136682-DC-Blinks-First-Batman-v-Superman-Wont-Compete-with-Captain-America-3], presumably so it won't have to compete with Captain America 3 at the box office.

What do you think of a 50-year old Batman taking on Superman? Is it mimicking Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns formula a bit much or is Warner going at it the right way?

Source: AintItCoolNews [http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/04/where-does-batman-begin-in-batman-v-superman/]

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
I'll see it because it's batman, and that's it. I think most people will see it purely because it's batman. Also, i'm still a bit confused as to why two heroes will be fighting?

It will be interesting to see an older version, though TDKR batman was like 35? And was already falling apart, so god knows how This dude can even walk, let alone fight superman.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I know this is some kind of nerd sin but I never really liked TDKR. I have no wish to see a Batman in his 50s, I want to see him in his prime. I have no wish to see him take on a man that would knock him into another universe with his little finger if not for the Bats reinforced plot armor and convinent plot points that just so happen to depower Superman enough to make it a fair fight.

I will not see it simply because I did not like Man of Steel and I don't like what I have read about the movie so far but I do hope that the people who are looking forward to it like it.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I don't see why they've gone for an older Batman at all. Ben Affleck is 41 and can reasonably play early thirties, so I don't know why they didn't have Batman be around about a couple of years before Superman showed up. You still have a Batman who is more experienced than Superman, it's more plausible that he's still an urban legend with no photos and they can end the film as the peers they are in the comics.

It makes things difficult for a Justice League film too. There has always been some question as to why the powerless Batman is in the field with the likes of Superman and Green Lantern, putting him in his fifties and past his physical prime exacerbates that. If he's running around in power armour to keep up, that's not Batman, that's Tony Stark. If he's relegated to directing the action from the Batcave or Watchtower, that will be a huge let down.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
marscentral said:
I don't see why they've gone for an older Batman at all. Ben Affleck is 41 and can reasonably play early thirties, so I don't know why they didn't have Batman be around about a couple of years before Superman showed up. You still have a Batman who is more experienced than Superman, it's more plausible that he's still an urban legend with no photos and they can end the film as the peers they are in the comics.

It makes things difficult for a Justice League film too. There has always been some question as to why the powerless Batman is in the field with the likes of Superman and Green Lantern, putting him in his fifties and past his physical prime exacerbates that. If he's running around in power armour to keep up, that's not Batman, that's Tony Stark. If he's relegated to directing the action from the Batcave or Watchtower, that will be a huge let down.
That wouldn't be anything new for Batman; in Kingdom Come he used Bat Bots to police Gotham City and his years of crime fighting had him put on an exoskeleton to get around. Heck, in the final battle he wields a suit of power armor. With Batman it's been more about his intellect and cunning than his physical ability. Dark Knight Returns also made that point when Batman loses to some gang leader due to trying to fight like a young man and in the rematch he fights in a calculating, precise manner like a surgeon.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I wrote a thread on this 2 days ago, wow is The Escapist late.

My reply was :-

Now an old and cranky Batman could be good, could explain why he would get annoyed with Superman. Especially if he tried hard to stay hidden for so long and suddenly there is a super powered alien flying around. This does intrigue me and how he will deal with other heros that are younger. Wonder Women would be half his age give or take a few years. Also you have been honing your skills for years and all of a sudden you are irrelevant. Is the issue that he is thrown into the lime light and thats what enables characters like Joker etc to appear?

Can a Batman with 30+ years experience be able to beat a Superman (MoS1) who lack experience?

If not then there is always this.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, if Batman and Wonder Woman were active during the events of Man of Steel, where were they? Wouldn't Alien Invasion and End of Human Life warrant them helping out?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
"You're telling me it was a guy dressed as a bat and he was a senior friggin' citizen?"- Commissioner Paul Smecker

I find it odd that they're making Batman even more outclassed than usual for their Justice League.

SonOfVoorhees said:
If not then there is always this.

I love that series. Pete Holmes should have been Batman to counter all the dark grittiness of Superman.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Saltyk said:
So, if Batman and Wonder Woman were active during the events of Man of Steel, where were they? Wouldn't Alien Invasion and End of Human Life warrant them helping out?
They could easily hand wave it by saying they knew they were out of their league and perhaps say that batman had his finger on a nuke the whole time just incase things turned out for the worst

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
marscentral said:

Yes, because if there is one thing that Batman is going to be reliant on to compete with a sea king who can lift a million tonnes, an amazonian champion blessed by deities, and an alien god, its going to be his physique.

An older Batman is a smarter Batman, a Batman who can look at a situation and prepare for it, and figure out exactly what he needs to take it down - not a Batman who gets his ass kicked and relies on rope to somehow fix his back.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I think it's a complete mistake to age them and have them been so active for so many years. TDKR is honestly the last story that should be turned into a movie... or even hinted at in a movie. This movie is gonna flop so hard.

lee1287 said:
I'll see it because it's batman, and that's it. I think most people will see it purely because it's batman. Also, i'm still a bit confused as to why two heroes will be fighting?

It will be interesting to see an older version, though TDKR batman was like 35? And was already falling apart, so god knows how This dude can even walk, let alone fight superman.
He was 55 in TDKR, not 35. Though he would have to have been about 50 to match the timeline spoke of in here presuming he started around his late teens.

Saltyk said:
I would imagine this is the result of WB not paying any attention to the events in Man of Steel. That is the only thing that makes sense. I can see fallout from what happened in Man of Steel making Wonder Woman leave the island and making Batman's job a lot more active than it was previously. But the whole been active for years thing seems literally like them just ignoring the previous film.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
After the tragedy that was The Dark Knight Rises batman, this could actually work: A stealthy, smarter batman, who uses his knowledge, stealth and possibly some tech to get the job done: Not some asshole who thinks that throwing hay makers at a guy who's tougher, stronger and in better condition is a good idea (Unless, you know, its Adam West batman).

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I predict with what looks like an older, more frank miller influenced batman, that abbreviations are going to get confusing.

I mean I've already seen TDKR used twice in this topic, and from context I know one was The Dark Knight Rises and one was The Dark Knight Returns.

Confusion ahoy!

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Aiddon said:
That wouldn't be anything new for Batman; in Kingdom Come he used Bat Bots to police Gotham City and his years of crime fighting had him put on an exoskeleton to get around. Heck, in the final battle he wields a suit of power armor. With Batman it's been more about his intellect and cunning than his physical ability. Dark Knight Returns also made that point when Batman loses to some gang leader due to trying to fight like a young man and in the rematch he fights in a calculating, precise manner like a surgeon.
Kingdom Come is one of my favourite books, but that is Batman at the end of his career (and outside regular continuity) while this film is dealing with a Superman at the start of his. This is the first time we get to see a live action Batman and Superman on screen together, I'd prefer classic Batman in his prime.

Toadfish1 said:
Yes, because if there is one thing that Batman is going to be reliant on to compete with a sea king who can lift a million tonnes, an amazonian champion blessed by deities, and an alien god, its going to be his physique.

An older Batman is a smarter Batman, a Batman who can look at a situation and prepare for it, and figure out exactly what he needs to take it down - not a Batman who gets his ass kicked and relies on rope to somehow fix his back.
"A Batman who can look at a situation and prepare for it," is Batman! That's one of his defining traits. But part of that preparation is being in peak physical condition and one of the best martial artists in the world. I'm not arguing for Batman to be like Christian Bale's Batman, I don't think those films are all that great, I want him to be more like the comics and The Animated Series. A Batman that is at the peak of human physical and mental ability.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Every word these people speak makes me less and less interested in seeing the movie. "all sorts of badass vigilantism" and never been photographed for 30 years of regular activity? Really? This keeps sounding like it was written by a 12-year-old telling you about how his new character "is just SO COOL, you guys!"

Edit: Okay, that description probably could probably be applied to other heroes too, so maybe I'm biased. Dunno. I just am not impressed by what I'm hearing.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This just sounds worse and worse the more I hear about it. How the hell could Batman be operating for over 30 years and still be an urban legend? Where are all the villains? Has he just been spending his time quietly stalking muggers in alleyways? This is NOT the Batman I want to see on film. I want to see the Batman that's been doing what he does for a few years, is in peak physical condition, and actually acts and dresses like fucking Batman. Ideally I'd like to see the Batman from Jim Lee's Hush storyline. He was smart, agile, and a complete bad-ass without any armor plating or over the top brooding.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, Batman's going to be stealthy. That's finally a point in the movie's favour.

lee1287 said:
Also, i'm still a bit confused as to why two heroes will be fighting?
Because comic books.

Seriously, this happened so often in comics it became the official superhero handshake.

marscentral said:
I don't see why they've gone for an older Batman at all.
I'm betting distinguishing itself from the Nolan Trilogy is a part of it.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Can a Batman with 30+ years experience be able to beat a Superman (MoS1) who lack experience?
He shouldn't be able to, no. Even without experience, Supes is basically a God. Batman winning relies on a narrative where his often-unexplained and undemonstrated hypercompetence beats out a super-intelligent alien who for some reason just gets dumb at points.
Love the video, though.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Baresark said:
lee1287 said:

He was 55 in TDKR, not 35. Though he would have to have been about 50 to match the timeline spoke of in here presuming he started around his late teens.
We need better abbreviations. lee1287 was referring to The Dark Knight Rises, not The Dark Knight Returns. Though I suppose Batman was falling apart physically in both.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
COMaestro said:
Baresark said:
lee1287 said:

We need better abbreviations. lee1287 was referring to The Dark Knight Rises, not The Dark Knight Returns. Though I suppose Batman was falling apart physically in both.
Haha, I got ya. I looked and was like... does he mean Rises or Returns.... and I just assumed he meant Returns because this movie openly draws inspiration from that series.