Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Game Is A Fleet In A Box

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Game Is A Fleet In A Box

Star Wars: Armada will send miniature Imperial and Rebel fleets into a battle for tabletop dominance.

Fantasy Flight's X-Wing Miniatures Game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/11402-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game-Review-Precision-Planning-and-Pure-Luck>is an absolute blast to play, but it has two minor problems: Individual ships are very expensive, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134134-Star-Wars-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game-Now-Has-A-Giant-Transport>its definition of miniature has become increasingly lax. Thankfully the company has announced yet another miniatures title that may address both of these problems called <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star+wars?from_search=1>Star Wars: Armada. Adopting a similar tactical combat style as X-Wing, Armada core set includes both Rebel and Imperial fleets, including fighters and capital ships.

In other words, yes, you can finally use a Star Destroyer to crush those pesky Rebels once and for all.

In Star Wars: Armada, each player is the fleet admiral for the Imperial Navy or Rebel Alliance. Tactical control is provided for both the large capital ships and individual fighter squadrons, co-coordinating not just weapons fire but also engineering activity across each ship. Every vessel has unique traits, attacks, defenses, and even firing arcs that need to be accounted for, and players will need to successfully balance them all to achieve victory.

Even the very act of issuing commands can be a tense, strategic activity. For example, while larger capital ships are very powerful, it takes time for them to react to commands. That means orders issued to Star Destroyers can take two or more rounds before making an available action, and a lot could happen in the interim. Issuing a command at exactly the right time will be critical to success, making or breaking the entire fleet.

Fighter squadrons shouldn't be ignored, however. Not only can an unchecked squadron destroy a capital ship, they follow their own movement rules and can react quickly on the battlefield. On top of that, pilots like Luke Skywalker provide special abilities to squadrons, such as the ability to ignore shields on capital ships.

[gallery=2981]

Star Wars: Armada's core set is expected to launch early 2015 for $99.95. While still a hefty price tag, that includes three painted capital ships, ten unpainted squadrons, and over 130 cards and tokens. Whether you're looking for an alternative to X-Wing or are a newcomer to miniatures, it's certainly more than enough to get a massive starship battle started on your gaming table.

Curious what Armada plays like? We got our hands on it at Gen Con. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136927-Star-Wars-Armada-From-Fantasy-Flight-Games-Gen-Con-2014-Preview]

Source: <a href=http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979>Fantasy Flight Games

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't usually tabletop due to the costs involved and when I do its always someone else's set.

This I could see myself getting someday.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
*Gasp*

A Victory-class Star Destroyer!

...No, funds are a bit tight right now. Must...be...strong...!

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind simply having the Victory for display purposes.

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
Star Wars Minis Starship Battles was a great game, though flawed. This could be better. And since WotC never released an expansion to that game, I'll probably give it a shot. Though Starship Battles' only set had both Clone Wars Saga and Civil War Saga ships so you could play out all kinds of Star Wars battles. Playing out scenarios where the Empire crushed the remains of the Separatist fleet was a lot of fun.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
I.. want it. I want it now.

Damn even if I didn't play it I'd want those miniatures. Hmm, how to convince my friend to buy it as well.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
I'd rather play a SW Rogue Squadron game, anyday. No waiting, no dice, just flying around blowing stuff up.

So when do we get the EVE online version with Star Wars ships?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If you are looking for a cheaper option, there are some nicely detailed Star Wars ship CAD files for use in a 3D printer.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
So does this mean the victory class is cannon in the new continuity?

Its product released under Disney so it must be?

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
exobook said:

Unlikely. The Fantasy Flight games seem to reliably be drawing rather heavily from the old material. Good to see that the old canon isn't getting entirely abandoned with the change to Disney though.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Oroboros said:
exobook said:

Unlikely. The Fantasy Flight games seem to reliably be drawing rather heavily from the old material. Good to see that the old canon isn't getting entirely abandoned with the change to Disney though.
yes but they've already recycled the headhunter, I think we can expect the old canon to be used as an idea bucket for the new one

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
exobook said:
Oroboros said:
exobook said:

yes but they've already recycled the headhunter, I think we can expect the old canon to be used as an idea bucket for the new one
The leaked picture wasn't of a headhunter, it's a new X-Wing design, based off of old concept art for the X-wing (like the Z-95 was) They are different ships that draw from the same source material.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Oh man, Victory Destroyer, I wants it. That thing is a sexy ass ship. I wonder if the ventral missile ports open up?