John Romita Sr & Jr Team Up for Upcoming Superman Issue

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
John Romita Sr & Jr Team Up for Upcoming Superman Issue

Father and son team up in issue #34 of DC's Superman, which will feature art from both John Romita Sr. and Jr.

DC's Superman #34, due out next Wednesday, is shaping up to to be an amazing issue. Not only will it contain the newest installment in writer John Romita Sr. [http://www.geoffjohns.com/]

Best known for his work with the legendary Steve Ditko in Vol. 1 of Amazing Spider Man, this marks the first contribution Romita Sr. has made to DC in over 50 years. "I worked there in prehistoric times for about eight years," he joked in an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "It was between 1958 and '65. In those eight years, I did a lot of romance comics." This is also the first time the artist has ever illustrated Superman on the cover of a comic book. "I've done a few sketches when we used to do crossovers, and a couple of paperback covers that had Superman on them, and I've done Superman on sketches for kids on conventions," he said. The cover sees Romita Sr. temporarily stepping out of retirement- but as he jokes, "I've been coming out of retirement for sixteen years! They don't leave me alone."

Superman #34 also contains the first appearance of a new Superman villain known as the Machinist who was exclusively designed by Romita Jr. The second generation comic artist told The Hollywood Reporter that when he started his run on the series back in June, he "was a little bit intimidated knowing that I was going to be doing the first superhero." That nervousness vanished as soon as he started working with Johns on the title. "I realized I'm still in the same business, it's just a different costume, and I felt more comfortable," he said.

Included in the gallery below is Romita Sr.'s variant cover for Superman #34, as well as the regular cover and a page featuring The Machinist.

[gallery=3017]

Been reading DC's Superman since the creative change? Share your thoughts on the monthly title in the comments!

Remember to stay plugged in to The Escapist for more news about Comics and Cosplay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/comics%20and%20cosplay]!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.newsarama.com/21882-the-father-son-john-romitas-cover-superman-34-jrsr-s-1st-dc-art-in-50-years.html]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
That regular cover of the issue, Superman just looks REALLY stupid! It doesn't even look anything like him.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Never really rated Romita Jr to the extent everyone else seems to, and this is a clear "remember Superman is relevant" exercise but it's still pretty cool.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I've always said that in terms of page composition and rendering action on paper, Romita Jr. is actually quite good most of the time. But the hope that someday he'd learn to actually draw died a long time ago.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hang on one damn second here, does Superman no longer wear red underpants on the outside?

When did this happen?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Zhukov said:
Hang on one damn second here, does Superman no longer wear red underpants on the outside?

When did this happen?
Back in 2011 with the DC comic reboot.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I'd prefer he do a New Gods comic, but I prefer the way he draws the Sups suit for some reason.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
I'd prefer he do a New Gods comic, but I prefer the way he draws the Sups suit for some reason.
What he drew in the first 10 issues of Rick Remender's run on Captain America looked pretty Kirby-esque. Now the question raised is what compelled Romita Jr. to defect to DC.