Check Out Stephen Colbert As Marvel's Falcon

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Check Out Stephen Colbert As Marvel's Falcon

This really is one of the greatest things you'll see today.

When it was announced that Steve Rogers would be retiring as Captain America (thanks to his super soldier serum no longer working), there was only one character worthy of replacing him. Obviously, I mean <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136210-BREAKING-Sam-Wilson-Formerly-The-Falcon-is-Marvels-New-Captain-America>Sam Wilson, AKA Falcon, Cap's best friend and America's second greatest soldier. So it is that Sam will be taking the patriotic mantel this november. But if Sam wasn't available, then the obvious choice would be Captain America superfan Stephen Colbert.

Sadly, Stephen won't get his chance, but Marvel is giving him the next best thing on one of its November Avengers Now! variant covers. I won't belabor the point. Here is the cover of All New Captain America #1:

Yep, that's Stephen Colbert as Falcon. Though, maybe they ought to call him Eagle, since Stephen's spirit animal is the embodiment of America itself.

In all seriousness though, this cover has a weirdly bittersweet quality to it. Steve Rogers is retiring in November and passing the shield to Sam Wilson, and David Letterman is retiring in December, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133642-Stephen-Colbert-to-Replace-David-Letterman-on-Late-Show-Update>passing his shield to Stephen Colbert who, subsequently, is retiring the "Stephen Colbert" right wing windbag persona he's perfected on The Colbert Report for nearly a decade. I'm really going to miss that show. Say, you know what would make it better? If we could get some more Tek Jansen before it ends.

Meanwhile, Comicbook.com has a full set of Marvel's November variant covers. Head over and have a look.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I approve of this! Now if only we can get an image of him in the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of the outfit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, I saw it on the Colbert Report when they announced it. I wouldn't have said anything, but they used the eagle joke, too. :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I thought I was the only Tek Jansen fan out there. This article proved me wrong. I still remember the theme song T^T

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fappy said:
I thought I was the only Tek Jansen fan out there. This article proved me wrong. I still remember the theme song T^T
All the cool kids read Tek Jansen. You know that.

OT: Colbert's style of humor is ever-appealing. I hope he does well for his new spot.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Fappy said:
Tek Jansen will live in my heart forever.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I saw it on the Colbert Report when they announced it. I wouldn't have said anything, but they used the eagle joke, too. :p
This news is, what, a couple of weeks old. I watched that episode and Colbert introduced his catchphrase: "Why did the Falcon cross the road? For justice, ************!"
RossaLincoln said:
Fappy said:
Tek Jansen will live in my heart forever.
Tek needs a monthly comic series.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
This news is, what, a couple of weeks old.
I last visited Captain America's Wikipedia page over a month ago, and it was related to one of the threads that came out of that, so I'm guessing at least a month.