The Best (And Worst) Marvel Cartoons of the 60s and 70s

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Best (And Worst) Marvel Cartoons of the 60s and 70s

Marvel's television efforts weren't always hits, but that didn't stop the company from trying. And trying.

Read Full Article

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
For whatever reason I got the original 60's Spider-Man dvd set as a young teen, and ended up really enjoying the first two seasons. The third was terrible though. Everything changes with no explanation, and it turns all weird space sci-fi. Which is fine for characters like Thor. Not so much for Spider-Man.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
The Spider-man, Spider-woman and both Fantastic Four I remember watching on TV in the 80's a lot with Spider-Woman being the best thanks to simply being more recent and having a better budget.

But I have never seen The Marvel Super Heroes or the Thing before and am frankly quite grateful for that looking at your links.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
MovieBob said:
the infamous "Syncro-Vox" technology (which superimposed human actor's mouths onto barely-animated figures' faces)
That was an actual thing? I thought he Incredibles made it up for the DVD as a piss take.

I'm guessing that next week will have the X-Men series.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
I'm guessing the X-men are showing up next?
The 80's weren't all that significant for the X-men. They appeared in Amazing Friends and had a pilot in the late 80's but it didn't take off... (or may not have been intended to?)
The first full X-men series of note was in the 90's

Kenjitsuka said:
Man, I loved Spider-woman! SO GOOD!
Spider Woman was among my favorites of that time too.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Are you going to do 80's and upward? Just asking since that Avengers shows "The Avengers: United They Stand" would be in the worst catalogue.

Not only they couldn't get any of the big three (Captain America, Thor and Iron Man) as main character but as supporting characters instead, hey also add in the pointless henshin power up armours for some of the cast aswell along with the transformation sequences!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bob reminded me how much I miss Minoriteam. :,(

Well, without H.E.R.B.I.E., we might not have The Venture Bros.' H.E.L.P.eR (Humanoid Electronic Lab Partner Robot).

Fascinating and funny look back at superhero cartoons from days of yore, Bob. One heck of a birthday surprise!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Watching those Spider-Man cartoons in the 70s was the gateway for me getting interesting in comics. It was literally the catalyst for nearly 40 years of my comic collecting and obsession for all the geek periphery that I so love even today.

Really enjoying these trips down memory lane Bob. The only downside is that this article likely means this subject won't be revisited on Big Picture. And I so wish we could get a Marvel animation episode of that since video would really show off some of the weird and wonderful things that have come out of this side of the animated Marvel offerings (as well as offer some laughs at the bad bits). But, that's just wishful thinking of course. Can't wait for next week! :)

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
piscian said:
Its weird to look back on these and realize what a complete joke the animation quality was compared to the superman cartoons from the 40's

http://youtu.be/pubd7aMncEQ

That's because those 40's Superman cartoons were theatrical people paid to see them in the cinema while TV animation had a miniscule budget in comparison due to low advertising costs on kids stuff pre starwars because of limited merchandising compared to what the 80's offered.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
"Marvel cartoons (apart from Spider-Man) spent most of this era living in the shadows of DC material and original heroes from the likes of Hanna-Barbera. But the tide would change as the 1980s dawned...."

I'm going to assume you mean the Spider-Man, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and Incredible Hulk series (Don't remember if the Iron Man series fell within this time line or not.)

It'll be interesting to see a defense of this point because I'll tell you, in my area and with my group of friends, those shows weren't getting anywhere near the same play that the various Superfriends imprints were getting, especially "The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians."

If I'm being 100% honest I don't know that Marvel has ever managed to succeed in outshining DC when it comes to animated shows. During the 90's X-Men and Spider-Man were fine, but I don't remember any of them with the same fondness I have for the Batman/Superman Animated Series or Batman Beyond.

Even through the 00's shows like Teen Titans, Young Justice, Justice League Unlimited and Green Lantern completely outstrip Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble or that weird French Anime Fantastic Four mess they produced a few years back.
Spectacular Spider-Man (Literally my favorite incarnation of my favorite Super Hero) and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes continue to be the only shining light in the murky pool of Marvel's animated mediocrity

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
I watched Hanna Barbera's Fantastic Four, the 60 Spiderman and SpiderWoman in the 90's thanks to mexican TV.
SpiderWoman was really good, and Spiderman was funny even then, although for different reasons.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Hmm I guess you mention Galactus but I would call out the Galactus trilogy specifically, I am not a big fan of the Kirby Surfer but this is where he started.

In addition the original run of the Lee/Buscema Surfer is a masterpiece. The artwork is Michelangelo'esque and the brooding sadness of the exiled surfer is still what defines that character for me.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
piscian said:
youji itami said:
piscian said:
Its weird to look back on these and realize what a complete joke the animation quality was compared to the superman cartoons from the 40's

http://youtu.be/pubd7aMncEQ

That's because those 40's Superman cartoons were theatrical people paid to see them in the cinema while TV animation had a miniscule budget in comparison due to low advertising costs on kids stuff pre starwars because of limited merchandising compared to what the 80's offered.
Not really even 90's marvel cartoons still look like ass compared to these. It wasn't the budget so much as that it was motion capture animation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope Even by the 70's this animation was considered wildly outdated. Marvel was and still are a bunch of cheap lazy **** who didn't give two **** about their animated lines until maybe the last 10 years. It's so frustrating to watch something like justice league unlimited and then watch the marvel shows that were out at the time. It all looked like cheap korean child labor until maybe the last couple years. even their direct to dvd stuff like Ultimate avengers is pretty ho-hum. Dont even get me started on the wanna anime stuff theyre doing now. It's cringe worthy.
Not even needing to go through Wikipedia its easy to see that the use of Rotoscoping was minimal at best, in Wikipedia it even says that it was used mostly because the animators werent that experienced and needed a way to keep the characters with the right proportions.

Its really easy to see when something is based around rotoscoping.

And Marvel puts their money where they see fit, there is a reason people think the DC series are better then Marvel's but the Marvel movies are better then DC's.