Turtle Moms "Talk" to Their Young

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Turtle Moms "Talk" to Their Young

Researchers managed to record distinct sounds from turtles that the reptiles used to communicate.

Brazilian scientists have managed to record instances of verbal communication in river turtles. These recordings have unveiled a previously undiscovered factor in the reptile's nesting season, in which they exchange information vocally using at least six different sounds. This also included chatter between females and hatchlings. According to the researchers, this is the first documented case of parental care in turtles.

The team, which included researchers from the Wildlife Conservation Society [http://www.wcs.org/press/press-releases/turtle-talk.aspx] (WCS) and the National Institute of Amazonian Research conducted their study on the Trombetas River in the Amazon between 2009 and 2011. The equipment used included microphones and underwater hydrophones, which recorded more than 250 individual sounds from the turtles. The scientists analyzed these vocalizations and divided them into six different types, linking each category to a specific behavior.

The noises made by the animals were subtly different depending on their behavior. An example of this was seen when the adults used a specific sound when migrating through the river, and another when they gathered in front of the beaches where they had nested. A different sound was made by adult turtles as they waited on the beaches for their hatchlings to arrive.

Dr Camila Ferrara, a member of the WCS Brazil program, believes that the females make these specific sounds to guide hatchlings to and through the water. "The females wait for the hatchlings, and without these sounds, they might not know where to go," she said in an interview. "We think sound helps the animals to synchronize their activities in the nesting season." Due to the relatively long life span of turtles, the researchers also think that young turtles might learn these vocal communication skills directly from older individuals in their population.

The results of the study were recently published in the scientific journal BBC News [http://www.hljournals.org/]). Because of the importance of this newfound behavioral trait, the scientists warn of the potential damage noise pollution could cause to the turtles.

Give us your thoughts about this story in the comments, and follow The Escapist for more stories about animals and their ability to communicate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132830-Elephants-Can-Distinguish-Between-Human-Languages]!

Source: BBC News [http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28807901]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Turtle Moms "Talk" to Their Young"

I read that, and immediately thought:
And they all say; "Don't go see the new TMNT movie kids, it's CRAP!".

Yes, I thought that was pretty funny.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:

So...a bunch of turtle mothers went to the cinema together?

Or do turtles slag off movies they've not seen?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I do wonder which of the sounds is the one that means "There are starving turtles in Africa that'd be grateful for that lettuce. Now eat it, and stop asking for pizza!"

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This reminds me of the episode of Cosmos where Carl Sagan talk about Whales and their communication.

The line he draws between bits, the amount of information in a whale "song" and the Odyssey/Illiad is...absolutely heartbreaking.

Thank god my brain usually realizes when I am going to break down emotionally and makes everything numb.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm thinkin' they're more like Ents.

"Weee have juuust fiiiniiished saaaying...good morning."

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Someone Depressing said:
Real life turtles nothing like TMNT.

Irreversibly despaired.

You did this.
Quick. Get them some mutagen, stat! We must correct this immediately.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:

I thourght it was a trend peice on a new style of parenting....which is alittle too borad even for escapist

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Turtles make almost no noises to begin with - not only to hear that turtles are making vocalizations, but also that its only mothers in these patterns, is an amazing piece of deduction.

And while this may not be in the average Escapist's typical news purview, I happen to be a person who likes turtles, so I'm happy to have seen this.