Republican Senatorial Committee Releases Platform Game

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Republican Senatorial Committee Releases Platform Game

The National Republican Senatorial Committee's Mission Majority requires the information of potential Republican voters.

In the lead up to midterm elections, the National Republican Senatorial Committee has a new tactic. The NRSC has released a retro, platform-styled game called Mission Majority to inspire players to support the Republican party.

Mission Majority stars an elephant (the Republican party's symbol) named Giopi (similar to GOP, another name for the Republican party), while the enemies in the game are "job-destroying taxpayers" who were sent by "[U.S. Senate Majority Leader] Harry Reid and President Obama." When jumping on top of the Taxers, soundbites from Democratic politicians play.

Players must log in via social media or an email address before they can play Mission Majority. The NRSC will then have a way of contacting who it suspects to be potential Republican voters for the coming midterm election. Players will also find a link in each level to support Republican politicians in the Senate.

Giopi introduces himself at the beginning:
"Hi, my name is Giopi. I'm one of the GOP's best volunteers for the 2014 midterms, and I'm here to show you how we can win back the Senate! There is going to be a lot of red tape and regulations in our way, but we need to overcome them in order to succeed. At the end of each level, there is a link that will bring you to a site where you can support Republicans in real life."

President Obama has targeted advertisements within video games in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections. Ads in Need for Speed: Carbon, Madden NFL 13, and Tetris on Pogo.com featured positive campaigns for Obama. NPR reported Mitt Romney's campaign also advertised in games. [http://www.npr.org/2012/10/01/162103528/presidential-campaigns-rock-the-gamer-vote] The NRSC's move to create a game for a unified Republican political campaign is a new one.

The Democratic party currently holds a majority in the Senate. The midterm election will be held on November 4, 2014. The Washington Post's Election Lab has current predictions for which party will win [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dre/politics/election-lab-2014] each race for both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Source: Washington Post [http://www.missionmajority.com/]

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I think this might be the classiest, most mature thing a political party has ever done.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I was honestly almost tempted to check this out just to know how weird it gets, but I'm going to pass now that I know playing a game comes with political spamming.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
vid87 said:
I was honestly almost tempted to check this out just to know how weird it gets, but I'm going to pass now that I know playing a game comes with political spamming.
Jim has a video on Youtube of the game if you're interested.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Honestly, that thing looks more like a parody than a serious idea.
But if it's honestly a serious idea, then... well, they would've successfully convinced me to vote for the Democrats (if I would be a US-Citizen, that is. But I'm not.)

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
hentropy said:
I think this might be the classiest, most mature thing a political party has ever done.
Which says a lot, considering that this game seems designed to ridicule Democrats more than anything.

Yeah... I don't think too highly of political parties.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I really wanted to try this, if just for the lulwat-factor, but when I clicked on the link I saw that I'd have to log in using social media or my email address. I'd rather not give the GOP anything to link directly to me, but I guess I'll use a spam address or something to check it out.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Yes, because this is really going to draw the attention of all the hip 20-somethings and their new-fangled vidya games.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I forget you guys have the political colour references switched 'round over there - Red for the right wing, blue for the left.

Over here in the UK we use the colours correctly the other way around. Gets confusing.

This is undeniable truth that US politicians are still stuck in the 80's when it comes to Videogames.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
"While the enemies in the game are 'job-destroying taxpayers'"... Huh? I guess Republicans think paying taxes is bad now days?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Jim did a video on this already

I don't think much more needs to be said about this, because at this point its just piling on what didn't even need to be said in the first place.
That this game is freaking brilliant and will surely swing key states to the GOP?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daemascus said:
"While the enemies in the game are 'job-destroying taxpayers'"... Huh? I guess Republicans think paying taxes is bad now days?
What do you mean now? It's a new concept only in the sense that rap is a recent genre.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh, so they have an elephant guy called Giopi as the hero, that's actually sorta cool.

while the enemies in the game are "job-destroying taxpayers" who were sent by "[U.S. Senate Majority Leader] Harry Reid and President Obama." When jumping on top of the Taxers, soundbites from Democratic politicians play.
This bit? Not so much.

If he just fought generic monsters, and could do cool stuff like change the level of gravity, this could have been a decent game.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
....I always thought that Insane US Politics had finall peaked, then something like this would happen everytime.
Only in America.

Edit: Also, it looks and plays like some Game Maker Projects we had to make in Games Culture Class for first year.
All of the money in politics these days and you couldn't even get Unity or something?

"New on Early Access! The Republican Replacement for Obamacare: Pre-Alpha!"

Edit 2: HOLY BALLS, That Background on Level 2! Come on! Even *I* managed to fix looping background bugs like that in Game Culture!
Also, love how it's "Democrat Mudslingers", say what you will about the party as a whole, but there is a reason why Republicans are so closely tied with that trope.

Edit 3: Oh Christ above, it's on Level 3 as well, did anyone bother to ask about that at the staff meetings? REAL MONEY was spent to make that background and it looks like the default ones on Game Maker!
"You didn't build that!" /)_-"

Edit 4: Okay, the part with the Switches for swing states in Level 4 is kinda cute, but I can't see it over the fact that Giopi seems to live in the same realm as that Mountain on Steam, what with the peaks in the background being supported on top of a firm foundation of clouds.
I mean, you can clearly see from the fact the GOP letters in the sky are made of the same texture as the ground that they are rock hard.

To conclude: Real Money was made to make this.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Also, a kind soul on youtube in the comments section...
Just let that sink for a moment...
Linked this gem to prove that Dem Game Devs are better.

http://www.scuzzstuff.org/bushgame/bg16.swf

Notice how a flash from the Bush years is better looking then the one that had actual funding in 2014.
Slightly NSFW.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Well the Republicans seem to realize their lack of young voters is a huge problem that's only going to get worse, the only issue is they don't seem to know what to do about it.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Huh, so they have an elephant guy called Giopi as the hero, that's actually sorta cool.

while the enemies in the game are "job-destroying taxpayers" who were sent by "[U.S. Senate Majority Leader] Harry Reid and President Obama." When jumping on top of the Taxers, soundbites from Democratic politicians play.
This bit? Not so much.

If he just fought generic monsters, and could do cool stuff like change the level of gravity, this could have been a decent game.
Daemascus said:
taxers not taxpayers
it's a typo

still don't make the game any less slilly

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Wait, they seriously named him "Giopi"? Like from Doraleous and Associates? Is the final level the invasion of the Geigh Kingdom?