You Can't Get Away From Escape Dead Island's Arresting Style

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
You Can't Get Away From Escape Dead Island's Arresting Style

There's a lot to like about a game like Escape Dead Island where you have no idea what the "eff" is going on.

Deep Silver has doubled down on Dead Island to make it its flagship franchise. Since the first game's debut, there's been multiple spinoffs and sequels announced. The one that has my attention the most right now is Escape Dead Island, which is a single player third person action game with a cell-shaded art style. I got to play a bit of it at PAX Prime 2014 and I'm intrigued with how it presented an insane person's struggles to remember just what happened to him.

You play as Cliff Calo, who takes a boat to the eponymous island that's rumored to be the source of the zombie infection. The part I played opened with Cliff in a sea of blood red, struggling to make it to his crashed watercraft. Along the way, rocks float up from the water, or plunge from the sky. There are voices speaking to him, and the art style of the visuals lend to the experience not being quite reality. It's not clear if this is a dream or a hallucination or something in between.

The combat is in third person, and you can swing a mighty axe to cut down your zombie foes, or aim with a pistol for ranged attacks. The bikini-clad zombies are not always aware of you and that's represented by a large exclamation mark above their heads. Once it turns red and blinking, they have sniffed you out and will being the shuffle towards you, but you can use their reduced awareness to sneak around them if you wish.

Early on, someone claiming to be your father flies by and he tells you to get to the helipad. Dodging zombies along the way, you make your way to a beach when suddenly huge cargo containers start dropping from the sky and landing with a thud. The whole experience is definitely surreal, especially as Cliff engages in a dialogue with an ethereal female voice as he makes his way to the helipad. Oops, it's not your father who's demanding you fork over the USB drive with all the data you collected on the zombie outbreak, it's a weird new enemy boss with long claws and a weird spin attack.

What's going on here? I have no idea, but I want to learn more. Check out Escape Dead Island when it drops on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC on November 18th.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Ugh... That picture. The whole game isn't actually going to look like that will it? If it does there will be lots of reports of bleeding eyes accompanying playing this game.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
At this point, the combination of Dead Island's horrible glitches and mediocre gameplay (though fun in short doses) and developer Fatshark, whose releases are ehhhhhhh (though still better than main dev Techland's releases), means it's a definitely try before buy or wait for the reviews no how cool it looks. It is a neat look! I just suspect the game won't live up to it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[quote/]Deep Silver has doubled down on Dead Island to make it its flagship franchise. Since the first game's debut[/quote]
really?....aww gee, if youre gonna try and franchise the hell out of something you want the original to be half way decent (ala assasisn creed)

this actually looks kinda interesting

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
oldtaku said:
At this point, the combination of Dead Island's horrible glitches and mediocre gameplay (though fun in short doses) and developer Fatshark, whose releases are ehhhhhhh (though still better than main dev Techland's releases), means it's a definitely try before buy or wait for the reviews no how cool it looks. It is a neat look! I just suspect the game won't live up to it.
Techland can still make some good games now and then, both Call of Juarez Bound in Blood and Gunslinger were really good games and I do think there are some other gems that were made by them. They just dont seem reliable at all since every now and then they also make a Call of Juarez The Cartel shit quality game

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
I'm pretty convinced Saints Row is actually going to be their flagship. THQ was going to do that before Deep Silver acquired it.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I'm interested because while I think a lot of people aren't convinced by the whole "hallucinations don't make fun gameplay" mechanic, I rather like it (Dead Space 2 bits?).

Nowwwww the first Dead Island didn't really sway me - I'm still upset that it didn't reach the emotional intensity nearly as well as the trailer did - and I'm not at all excited for the second one but I'll be willing to give this one a shot; I've never really payed attention to what critics say anyhow so I'll draw my own conclusions when it comes out

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Vault101 said:
[quote/]Deep Silver has doubled down on Dead Island to make it its flagship franchise. Since the first game's debut
really?....aww gee, if youre gonna try and franchise the hell out of something you want the original to be half way decent (ala assasisn creed)[/quote]Um... the original WAS (is?) half-way decent. In fact, there are plenty of people who absolutely love the game, despite the (not nearly as rampant as stories suggest) bugs.