Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance - A Mixed Dice Roll

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

The NES port of Pool of Radiance can has some minor imperfections, but overall provides a lengthy and deep role-playing experience that genre and D&D fans would do well to revisit.

Read Full Article

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
It was a much better experience on the PC. I played on a 286 and the first person worked better. That said, the interface was clumsy even on the PC. The contemporary Dungeon Master game was much better and SSI based the inference in their Eye of the Beholder series on Dungeon master.

small

Aug 5, 2014
ah the old gold box ad&d games, pool of radiance was the first and it was clunky to say the least. a person fave of mine were the dragonlance ones. now those were great

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Stew,
I have a doozy of a classic game for you to try. It' an adventure/RPG/FPS game made way back in 1992 called 'Azrael's Tear'. You play a futuristic treasure hunter looking for the Holy Grail amidst the ancient tombs of Earth. It's a weird game, and it doesn't always work properly, but it's definitely one for to try! I don't think GOG has it, but here's a link to it if you think it's worth trying out.
Scott Glasgow

http://www.old-games.com/download/1209/azrael-s-tear

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
I played through this first on the C64, then again years later on PC. I'd love to see an HD update (not re-imagining) of all the gold box games.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The PC version was the game that got me into gaming, as it were. Played it with my father starting when I was four years old. Nice to see it's still getting attention, even if as a port (never had an NES, so I never played this version).

Did they ever do the same for the later Gold Box games? Curse of the Azure Bonds was my favorite in the series, and what led to my username...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I tried playing the NES version AFTER playing the PC game...

I couldn't do it.

It's just so much worse.
MAYBE if I had played the NES version first I could have 'appreciated' it.

But not anymore.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
StewShearer said:

The NES port of Pool of Radiance can be overly hard and has some minor imperfections, but overall provides a lengthy and deep role-playing experience that genre and D&D fans would do well to revisit.

Read Full Article
Wait you conversed with the monsters? You must be a DM at heart, no self respecting PC would ever consort with the XP fodder... :) The excuse I always heard from my players was "the last time we talked to a monster it ate half the party".

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I loved this game (on PC) and the rest of SSIs gold-box stuff. I'd throw all my money at a SSI rebirth kickstarter project, hint hint.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
FCI ported a lot of PC RPGs to the NES. Some were a hit like a few of the Ultima ports, while others were a miss such as what you've reviewed here.

Actually, I'd like you to try Ultima 3: Exodus for the NES. It is very hard though, and it's very vague about how to win the game. If you're lucky you might find the guide that goes with it as I'd consider it a necessity. It kinda serves as a proto-TES game in its premise, with monsters levelling up when you do on the overworld, yet encountering monsters in dungeons (you learn to hate dungeons quickly in this game, again another reason to find the guide) can be of any level, which is not just flawed but can also be unfair with certain encounters (Demons are seriously the worst, and they often come tenfold). It's interesting for both its perks and its flaws though.