MovieBob Goes Back to School with the Top Teachers of TV

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob Goes Back to School with the Top Teachers of TV

Instead of going back to school, we?re turning on the TV.

Read Full Article

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I'm glad you mentioned Mr. Feeny, Bob. They even gave him a little cameo in the continuation of the series: Girl Meets World.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If you were 5 years younger, Feeny would've come in first. He really is the very best, but if you didn't actually grow up watching the show, there's no getting around that.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Mr Feeny! Feeneh! Fee-hee-heeenay! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2bOiQTuvM]

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Anything that gives either Hugh Laurie or Olivia Wilde screen time (let alone both of them) is eligible to be in the Top 10 of anything. That's just a rule.

Also, I agree, Seasons 4-5 were where House M.D. 'peaked', though I still reckon it remained consistently solid all the way through 8 seasons, which is a damn good run as US Dramas go.

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
Just like Mrs. K. had to deal with Bart and Nelson, I believe Mrs Hoover deserves a special mention for having to deal with Ralph and Lisa, but especially Ralph.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
shadowxvii said:
Just like Mrs. K. had to deal with Bart and Nelson, I believe Mrs Hoover deserves a special mention for having to deal with Ralph and Lisa, but especially Ralph.
Eh, she had way less characterization. Mrs. K. had entire episodes devoted to her. And it's funny, but I never realized what a great character she really was. Guess that comes with watching The Simpsons since before I could read.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I'm glad Coach Cutlip made the list. The Wonder Years was a great show. However, if you're going to use a teaching doctor, I'd much rather go with Doctor Cox from Scrubs than House

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
House season 4 was the high-point? I beg to differ. That's when the show started to take a turn for the worse. Suddenly, everything was an excuse to do a bunch of ridiculous things. Gone was that smart TV show filled with esoteric intellectual references. It started catering to a bunch of mindless reality show watchers. And instead of exploring the depth of human character, everything was shallow and obvious.
For me, the show ended after season 3. And the ending was perfect for House as a character. People don't change (even according to House), and he didn't change. The rest of his team was ready to move on from him and let him drown in his own misery. First three seasons of House are among the best TV that I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
I'm glad Coach Cutlip made the list. The Wonder Years was a great show. However, if you're going to use a teaching doctor, I'd much rather go with Doctor Cox from Scrubs than House
Oh, Dr. Cox. He was tough because he cared. One of my favorite episodes from the otherwise craptacular 6th Season was when they pretty much turned Cox into House, solving the non-boring medical mysteries of the hospital and getting a limp to boot.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Nice list... But, since you mentioned Boy Meets World, I have to list my biggest gripe about the show.

The show takes place in Philadelphia. In the second season, it's revealed that Shawn lived in a Trailer Park.
Where the fuck is there a Trailer Park in Philadelphia? Remember, this is Pennsylvania, not Tennessee.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Adam Jensen said:
House season 4 was the high-point? I beg to differ. That's when the show started to take a turn for the worse. Suddenly, everything was an excuse to do a bunch of ridiculous things. Gone was that smart TV show filled with esoteric intellectual references. It started catering to a bunch of mindless reality show watchers. And instead of exploring the depth of human character, everything was shallow and obvious.
For me, the show ended after season 3. And the ending was perfect for House as a character. People don't change (even according to House), and he didn't change. The rest of his team was ready to move on from him and let him drown in his own misery. First three seasons of House are among the best TV that I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
I'm the opposite, I didn't think it was until season 4 that the show really started to pick up steam. That's mostly because the writers stopped trying to set up a nemesis for House that always failed badly and kept getting in the way of the parts of the episodes that were good and finally focused entirely on the diseases and the character interactions, especially House screwing with people. In short, when they stopped trying to stick in guys like Vogler and Tritter (the latter of which was just a badly done copy of House as a antagonist going up against House as a protagonist) the show got SIGNIFICANTLY better.

The only episodes in season 1-3 I consider worth watching more than once are the ones that don't have anything to do with either of those characters. Luckily Season 2 was devoid of those kinds of characters, so that was pretty good at least.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Special shout out to Mr. Bergstrom, Ian Chesterton and Bardara Wright, and of course Prez.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
I agreed and enjoyed the list up until the end, if anything she should have been 10th.

I think Mr. DeMartino was missed. (http://youtu.be/4Md0bGSrzlw)

and also Senor Chang (http://youtu.be/GmNzsZhIpRY)

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
madwarper said:
Nice list... But, since you mentioned Boy Meets World, I have to list my biggest gripe about the show.

The show takes place in Philadelphia. In the second season, it's revealed that Shawn lived in a Trailer Park.
Where the fuck is there a Trailer Park in Philadelphia? Remember, this is Pennsylvania, not Tennessee.
There are trailer parks everywhere. Heck, a simple google search for Trailer Parks in Philadelphia brings up at least 6.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
shintakie10 said:
There are trailer parks everywhere. Heck, a simple google search for Trailer Parks in Philadelphia brings up at least 6.
Your google-fu is weak.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=trailer+park+in+philadelphia
a) Pennsauken Township, New Jersey
b) Gloucester City, New Jersey
c) Cherry Hill, New Jersey
d) Wilmington, Delaware
e) Mt Laurel, New Jersey
f) Elmer, New Jersey
g) Hatfield, Pennsylvania

That's 7 Trailer Parks. Only ONE in the state of Pennsylvania. ZERO in Philadelphia.

You lose. Try again.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
What? No Ralph Hinkley from Greatest American Hero? Boo, I say to you, boo!

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Do we know yet if Bart is going to have a new teacher in the next season(s) or if we'll just never see him in class again?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Anything that gives either Hugh Laurie or Olivia Wilde screen time (let alone both of them) is eligible to be in the Top 10 of anything. That's just a rule.

Also, I agree, Seasons 4-5 were where House M.D. 'peaked', though I still reckon it remained consistently solid all the way through 8 seasons, which is a damn good run as US Dramas go.
Agreed, though I think the peak could extend to 3 as well where the original main cast was at its best.

I'll also say that I don't really count House as a cheat. In all fairness, he acted like a mentor figure to his team from the very beginning, teaching them his views of the world, how he thinks doctors should be, and how to deal or understand the most bizarre of cases. It's not a traditional teacher, no. But he does enough to fit that particular role within the show.

And, yes, more Olivia Wilde is what we need. :D

And Man

May 12, 2014
madwarper said:

There are trailer parks everywhere, not just in stereotypical southern states. I live in Pennsylvania, and know of some that are just outside of Pittsburgh, so I would bet that, while obviously not in the city itself, there are some trailer parks in the Philadelphia metropolitan region.

OT: I was gonna say something about Mr. Garrison not being on the list, but then I remembered it was "Best TV Teachers". Also, I think I'm one of the few people that has never seen Boy Meets World (or House)