Super Smash Bros. Won't Support The 3DS Circle Pad Pro

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. Won't Support The 3DS Circle Pad Pro

The 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. will, however, make use of the New 3DS's c-stick.

Early-adopters of Nintendo's "New" 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123377-Nintendos-3DS-XL-Circle-Pad-Pro-Hits-Retail-In-America].

It seems somewhat perplexing that the game would support the c-stick, but not the circle pad pro, which essentially perform the same function in the games that they are used in. A NeoGAF user points out that the circle pad pro obstructs the 3DS's infra-red sensor, which Super Smash Bros. will apparently use to interact with the new Amiibo figures [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137145-Nintendo-Amiibos-up-for-pre-order-for-12-99].

The upcoming Super Smash Bros. title will be the first one on a Nintendo handheld. All the prior titles were on Nintendo's home console, and utilized the c-stick for quick smash attacks.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/list_slidepad/index.html]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I want a Kirby Amiibo. Like, yesterday. I don't even really play Smash all that much, but Kirby is the best.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
When i read this article i can only think of a greedy merchant with bad teeth saying with a toothy grin: "Money".

Really, Nintendo? Was this really necessary? There goes my investment earlier, and here i thought i was forward thinking on getting that circle pad..

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Wow. You'd think the release of the New 3DS would be a big enough F-You to existing 3DS owners. To add this on top makes it seem like Nintendo are just rubbing it in.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
*deep breath*
*royal canterlot voice*
NINTENDO STOP ACTING LIKE E.A.!
*regular canterlot voice*
*normal breath taking*

Seriously though?
Please.
Stop.
Please.

I've been waiting on getting a 3DS because, money, but now I'm worried that as soon as I get one the Nu-New 3DS v2.5: Double RAM Edition or 4DS or whatever will be released.

The 3DS isn't freaking Street Fighter or Dynasty Warriors.
Stop.
Plz.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok, good thing that I didn't bought the circle pad pro but would the current and upcoming Monster Hunter game will worked on the new 3DS extra circle pad? Both games were made before the release of the new version.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
People, please.. this isn't about them wanting to sell more New 3DS consoles.

The C-stick on the new console is ONLY and let me say it again only to activate a final smash attack.

It is a pressable button as well as a directional 'pad' and only the button press will do anything in Super Smash Bros.

Why would Super Smash Bros. support the circle pad pro? What use would an extra thumbstick have? In fact it has the detrimental effect of blocking off the IF sensor.

Would the couple of people complaining in this thread rather Nintendo somehow add support in for this accessory, in the form of moving the thumbstick activates the final smash? (as opposed to making it any other button already on the stock console?)

This is straight up logic, it has nothing to do with greed.

I don't even know why it is news or a shock to anyone that a game totally unsuitable for compatibility with such an accessory doesn't have compatibility.

The C-stick on the new console being used for FSA is simply a matter of "This is a button, let's assign something to that button"

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
Whatislove said:

The C-stick on the new console is ONLY and let me say it again only to activate a final smash attack.

It is a pressable button as well as a directional 'pad' and only the button press will do anything in Super Smash Bros.

Why would Super Smash Bros. support the circle pad pro? What use would an extra thumbstick have? In fact it has the detrimental effect of blocking off the IF sensor.

Would the couple of people complaining in this thread rather Nintendo somehow add support in for this accessory, in the form of moving the thumbstick activates the final smash? (as opposed to making it any other button already on the stock console?)

I don't even know why it is news or a shock to anyone that a game totally unsuitable for compatibility with such an accessory doesn't have compatibility.

The C-stick on the new console being used for FSA is simply a matter of "This is a button, let's assign something to that button"
Its not the final smash, its just a quick smash attack. The final smash is the basically ultimate attack that you can only do once you break a smash ball. The attack you do with the second stick is a quick smash attack, something you can do by moving the left stick and hitting A at the same time anyway (and that gives you the advantage of being able to charge it if you hold A).

Maybe some of the pros will be annoyed that there is no quick smash because it harms a combo, but most pros won't be playing the 3DS version anyway.

Other than that, you are correct however, literally all hte circle pad pro would support is a shortcut stick, it has little to no gameplay impact. The only reason its being supported on the new one is likely "well we have to use the stick for something since everyone who has the new console will have it".

[EDIT]

Tanis said:
*deep breath*
*royal canterlot voice*
NINTENDO STOP ACTING LIKE E.A.!
*regular canterlot voice*
*normal breath taking*

Seriously though?
Please.
Stop.
Please.

I've been waiting on getting a 3DS because, money, but now I'm worried that as soon as I get one the Nu-New 3DS v2.5: Double RAM Edition or 4DS or whatever will be released.

The 3DS isn't freaking Street Fighter or Dynasty Warriors.
Stop.
Plz.
I assume yo never buy any new hardware then, cause there is always the risk of new kit just down the line. The 3DS was released in Feb 2011 , so it has been 3 and a half years since release. Its not like they are on a quick cycle like mobiles tend to be.

Seriously mountains out of molehills with some people :p

keiththegeek

Sep 8, 2014
There's a bit of a misconception about what the c-stick is actually used for here. Yeah, it is used for "quick smashes," but that isn't exactly the crux of the problem. Where it does become an issue is the matter of aerial attacks.

At least in the previous Smash Bros. games, if you used aerials the normal way, you generally were limited in your movement options. Holding forward and A performs your fair (forward air), but because you had to input forward on the stick, your character will drift forward as well. However, if you press forward on the c-stick to do a forward aerial, you won't drift at all. So you can move backwards while performing a forward facing attack, or a retreating fair. The c-stick also allows you to use a dair (down air) without fast falling and an uair without accidentally tap jumping, as well as the obvious approaching with a bair option.

The c-stick is very much important for expanding a player's movement options in the air for Smash, and most of the "pro players" use it all the time. And while it's true Smash Bros. for Wii U is going to be the preferred tournament set up, for the first couple of months play is going to be stuck on the 3DS...without the ability to use the c-stick. All because the game uses Amiibo, which I suspect the players that want to use Amiibo and want to use the c-stick don't overlap that much for it to be an issue. It's understandable but ultimately kind of crummy, especially since it'll give people with the new hardware an edge over those without it.

VioletHero

Sep 2, 2014
Nintendo, the reason people are lashing out at the New 3DS is because it punishes early adopters.

This doesn't help.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Never bothered with the C-Stick in any of the other games. So probably won't bother much me here either.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole appeal of Smash Bros. to be all sitting on the same couch having fun together, party-style anyway? No skin off my nose if Nintendo wants to do this with the 3DS version.

The Wii U version looks to be vastly superior anyway. I'll just wait on that.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
VioletHero said:
Nintendo, the reason people are lashing out at the New 3DS is because it punishes early adopters.

This doesn't help.
Are you an early adopter by any chance, in which case why exactly are you angry at the fact that your product has been working for 3 years AND still be valid for a few more since there will still be games aimed at the old3DS market?

Cause I am, got it at launch, I don't see this as a problem because it was launched 3 and a half years ago. Will i get a new3DS, not sure yet, will see after xmas when its out in the UK. But Sorry i don't see it as punishing early adopters in any way shape or form. Its like saying that apple punished early adopters of the iPhone 4 by releasing the iPhone 5 :/

TL;DR version : Tech gets outdated, this is apparently a surprise to some!

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
This is bad business, plain and simple. The New 3DS was a bad idea, splitting the user base for no good reason. This is just rude to people who purchased the circle pad pro.
Whatislove said:

Can you give me a source? I can't find an official source.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Well if you think about the control scheme of SSB, it doesn't even need a second stick, so I don't see why people would care that much? There are plenty of competitive smash players who don't even use the C-stick. Personally, my family banned it's use in our in-house matches, but we also banned edge-guarding, so take that as you may.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
FFMaster said:
Whatislove said:

Its not the final smash, its just a quick smash attack. The final smash is the basically ultimate attack that you can only do once you break a smash ball. The attack you do with the second stick is a quick smash attack, something you can do by moving the left stick and hitting A at the same time anyway (and that gives you the advantage of being able to charge it if you hold A).

Maybe some of the pros will be annoyed that there is no quick smash because it harms a combo, but most pros won't be playing the 3DS version anyway.

Other than that, you are correct however, literally all hte circle pad pro would support is a shortcut stick, it has little to no gameplay impact. The only reason its being supported on the new one is likely "well we have to use the stick for something since everyone who has the new console will have it".
Ah, thank you for that clarification. I stand corrected and still don't see a real reason the circle pad pro would be supported.

I blame my reading comprehension on lack of sleep.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Uuugghhhh. For fuck's sake Nintendo, c'mon. And here I thought the New 3DS was a sign that the Circle Pad Pro would be supported by Smash. As for why a c-stick is important, other than convenience, it's also used for dash attack canceled up smashes (DACUS) (assuming these will still be in the new Smash games) and for aerials as described in keiththegeek's post.

Well, regardless, most of the focus will likely be on the Wii U version once that gets released.