Resident Evil Revelations 2 Will Be Episodic

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Will Be Episodic

Resident Evil Revelations 2 will first be available in a downloadable episodic format.

Thanks to the success of games like The Wolf Among Us [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20walking%20dead%20season%202][/I], Capcom is honing in on that audience by releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 as a four-part episode series that will be available to download on a weekly basis.

Each episode will be priced at $5.99, or you can buy the complete season pass for $24.99. The season pass will provide additional content that hasn't been detailed at this time. Once the episodes are released, a retail version will be available at a later time for $39.99, again with additional content to justify the increase in price.

The original Resident Evil Revelations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/resident%20evil%20revelations] game consisted of twelve episodes that were packaged together, starring Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield as the protagonists, depicting events that took place between Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil Revelations 2 puts you in control of Chris's sister Claire Redfield and Moira, the daughter of STARS Alpha Team's Barry Burton. This iteration is said to once again focus on survival horror mechanics similar to the first Resident Evil Revelations.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Part 1? Resident Evil Revelations 2 Part 2? Yeah, that just rolls right off the fucking tongue doesn't it?

And Capcom you're forgetting the one important element of TellTale's games that allowed them to use episodic gameplay. Their stories were GOOD!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Honestly, I'm cool with this. The first one was episodic anyway, so it make sense to fit to that format fully, and going back to classic RE action/horror hybrid instead of turning it into Gears of Halo Theft Auto Five is something I think we can all get behind. Does raise the question of what'll happen to Raid Mode, though... If the reviews are good, I'll give it a look.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Revelations was a step in the right direction, it was the first Resident I liked in 10 years. I'm also glad Claire's back, she was one of my favourites and... wait a minute - Barry's daughter?! Does that mean we will finally find out what happened to Barry? Is he alive? Will there be a cameo? We love you, Barry!

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Don't screw the pooch Capcom. If this and Resident Evil Remake are shit you will never receive my cash ever again

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i can wait for a month. im just wondering what the huge differences would be between the season pass and the retail version content.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Esmeralda Portillo said:
Each episode will be priced at $5.99, or you can buy the complete season pass for $24.99.
Really?! I can buy the episodes separately for $23.96 or the season pass for $24.99? WHAT A DEAL. Nevermind, I somehow skipped the sentence that follows. Duh-doi.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
interesting way to do the series; Revelations probably could have been done like that considering how it was structured.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Weekly basis, am I reading that right?

Telltale's whole idea is that for a reasonably small developer/publisher, they simply can't put the amount of voice/art work into a full game on their budget, they have to rely on what amounts to pre-orders. And their episodes take up to three months between releases.

What the hell is Capcom's point if they're releasing it weekly? Having people not buy the whole package if episode 1 ends up sucking?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
This... sounds pretty cool. I would love to see more big publishers get into episodic gameplay. It feels like we're getting a lot of games at varying prices now, with some being as low as $40.00 on release, or even cheaper if released digitally. Smaller games for smaller prices suits me just fine if they're well made. This is an example of the industry moving in a POSITIVE direction for a change.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
DirgeNovak said:
Esmeralda Portillo said:
Each episode will be priced at $5.99, or you can buy the complete season pass for $24.99.
Really?! I can buy the episodes separately for $23.96 or the season pass for $24.99? WHAT A DEAL. Nevermind, I somehow skipped the sentence that follows. Duh-doi.
Don't feel bad, that was my first reaction as well. And it still might not make much sense; see the point below.

Gennadios said:
What the hell is Capcom's point if they're releasing it weekly? Having people not buy the whole package if episode 1 ends up sucking?
You know, that's a good point about episodic things in particular, and ties in well to the point above. The cost of buying the pieces individually has to be enough larger than the cost of the full thing to account for player attrition from serial to serial, and that doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe Capcom's hoping to add enough stuff to the "enhanced" edition to convince people to buy it a second time? Or maybe hoping that enough people will try out the first episode for cheap that might not have even considered the full-priced game? Doesn't seem to make much sense otherwise.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Major_Tom said:
Revelations was a step in the right direction, it was the first Resident I liked in 10 years. I'm also glad Claire's back, she was one of my favourites and... wait a minute - Barry's daughter?! Does that mean we will finally find out what happened to Barry? Is he alive? Will there be a cameo? We love you, Barry!
That Barry was alive was more or less confirmed with Resident Evil 3 ages ago (in one of the two endings, he came to pick you up instead of you just finding a random chopper standing around)
And it is also confirmed that, more or less, both versions of the original Resident Evil (Chris and Jill playthrough) happened, meaning that both Barry and Rebecca made it out as well.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
I've long wondered what happened to Claire since Code Veronica so this is pretty exciting news. With the way the game will be released, I suspect I may end up buying it twice. I'd rather just have the retail release, but may not have the patience to wait!

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
If its a week between episodes then it must already be finished so its just a marketing thing. Not that that's bad if the game is good cool if not then meh.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Bindal said:
That Barry was alive was more or less confirmed with Resident Evil 3 ages ago (in one of the two endings, he came to pick you up instead of you just finding a random chopper standing around)
And it is also confirmed that, more or less, both versions of the original Resident Evil (Chris and Jill playthrough) happened, meaning that both Barry and Rebecca made it out as well.
Yes, I know that, but we haven't heard anything about either of them since '98. Actually, now that you mention it, Rebecca's even worse - she's been MIA since the Mansion incident.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
I just realized that this episodic gameplay thing sounds a hell of a lot like what they did in the nineties with Doom, Duke 3d and such. Why the hell did nobody else really do it in the time between? Well, you know what they say, everything good old is new again.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Really excited to see another game with Claire, her and Leon have always been my favorites. It'll also be cool to find out about Barry. Now if only we could get an update on Rebecca, as previous posters have said. Oh well, it's not like there's any hope of RE tying up loose plot threads, lol.