5 Disastrous Errors in Volcano Movies

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
5 Disastrous Errors in Volcano Movies

Lava is deadlier than Hollywood would have you believe.

Read Full Article

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Geeze, when you put it like that, 2d6 damage from being near lava just seems silly.

Rockbottom87

Apr 28, 2011
You could do one about the way "Biologists" handle diseased animals, like in The Bay (2012). As a Marine Biologist myself I just got angry at the two "Scientists" that investigated the fish deaths in that movie...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Something that bothered me in Dante's Peak was something near the end: Jeeps can't overrun pyroclastic flows like that!

About the #4 in Volcano. My grandfather was in the mexican army when the Paricutin appeared. He told me about a soldier who lost his leg because of a lava bomb. It took less than a second, passed clean through the leg and cauterized the wound before he could even feel pain (like if it just melted its way through the leg). Probably that kind of things inspired that creepy scene (if you ignore that the kinetic force was the responsible).

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I am a computer network engineer and its frustrating to see some of the basic stuff commonly done wrong.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Rockbottom87 said:
You could do one about the way "Biologists" handle diseased animals, like in The Bay (2012). As a Marine Biologist myself I just got angry at the two "Scientists" that investigated the fish deaths in that movie...
Yay, a fellow Marine Biologist!

I knew about number one easily, it was obvious that volcanic ash is deadly, and I knew that Lava is super hot, and that you should stay as far away from it as possible. I did not know there were different types of lava, and if I did learn it I forgot. After explaining the viscosity, it became obvious that one would float in it and not sink. However, I can let the sinking part go for dramatic effect, especially if it's in a fictional world. It's like me enjoying the various shark movies even though sharks don't hunt down people to kill them. The main shark that is aggressive enough to attack people is bull sharks. Beyond that, just keep a safe distance and don't be a dick towards it.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Forget lava, it's the pyroclastic flow you have to worry about. Super heated volcanic gas and ash that explodes outward from the volcano hugging the ground that can reach 450 mph and flash fry anyone caught in it.

Out of curiosity, anyone else around here live near an active volcano?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I always like in one of the early eps of Southpark, the town practiced the "Duck & Cover" methodology of surviving a lava flow, it was hilarious.

But here's the thing about Hollywood; Facts have no place in a movie.

It's how we got such cinematic gems as Die Hard 4 and The Core.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
008Zulu said:
[...]
Egads, man, The Core??? That's my #1 worst movie of all time. So... much... wrong... Argh...

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Rhykker said:
Human beings don't melt. They burn. Lava isn't some special substance that melts things - it's just really, really hot.
Oh no?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Rhykker said:
008Zulu said:
[...]
Egads, man, The Core??? That's my #1 worst movie of all time. So... much... wrong... Argh...
Ah yes, The Core, the movie that accidentally got moved from the "SyFy movie" bin into the "real movie" bin. A movie that made Michael Bay look like Oliver Stone.

Seriously. That movie would be a decent SyFy made-for-TV movie, but I am still trying to figure out how they got full funding for it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Argh, yes, this sort of thing has been bugging me for ages.

So many movies forget that molten rock (or steel/gold/whatever) is a bit hot.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
wetfart said:
Geeze, when you put it like that, 2d6 damage from being near lava just seems silly.
Houseruled to 2d8. Fixed.
It'll be decades until someone finds another unrealistic depiction of table top gaming vs reality.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Rhykker said:
Hollywood action movie writers wouldn't have a 9mm bullet shoot out of a sniper rifle, so disaster movie writers shouldn't have the wrong type of lava come out of a volcano.
Given how consistently terrible Hollywood is at getting anything about guns vaguely accurate, that's probably not the best comparison to make.