Super Smash Bros. Preview - Hands on With The Japanese Retail Release

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. Preview - Hands on With The Japanese Retail Release

We pick up the Japanese retail release of Super Smash Bros. 3DS to let you guys know just what to expect ahead of the US launch.

Read Full Article

Shayman

Mar 6, 2014
If the leaked Wii U release is accurate or close enough, I think I'll skip this. I played demo and didn't get the feeling that I need to own both. Thanks for the write up Steven.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Hm. I guess I'll have to get the demo after all, and see if it's worth buying despite the small screen. I've got an XL 3DS, but I'm not sure that'll be enough...

Then again, I'm damn well off financially right now, so I can afford to waste a little money once in a while... Hm...

ggundam8

Nov 8, 2010
I also live in japan and own the game. I have not played SSB seriously since melee but I had no problems getting into this game. It feels like it is in between melee and brawl. It is not as fast as melee but it is not as floaty as brawl. My only nitpick was the default controls suck, so the first thing I did was flip the jump buttons with the attack buttons. Steven is very mistaken on the custom characters. You can use custom characters in 80% of the modes and trust me you will want to. I am having a blast with my custom Captain Falcon.

I highly recommend picking up the game when you get a chance.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
ggundam8 said:
I also live in japan and own the game. I have not played SSB seriously since melee but I had no problems getting into this game. It feels like it is in between melee and brawl. It is not as fast as melee but it is not as floaty as brawl. My only nitpick was the default controls suck, so the first thing I did was flip the jump buttons with the attack buttons. Steven is very mistaken on the custom characters. You can use custom characters in 80% of the modes and trust me you will want to. I am having a blast with my custom Captain Falcon.

I highly recommend picking up the game when you get a chance.
I said that the custom characters can not be used in the "For Glory" mode, which is true.

ggundam8

Nov 8, 2010
That is not what I feel you were mistaken about. You implied that custom characters will/may fall to the wayside. However, I feel that it has been so well integrated into the rest of the game, that it wont be so throw away as something like the stage builder from brawl.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
"For Fun" and "For Glory" is exactly what fighting games have been doing since the dawn of their online modes.
Ranked Match. Player Match.

I really don't understand why everyone acts like it's some new and revolutionary online feature.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
How are bad controls and a screen too small to play with friends considered SMALL NITPICKS on a multiplayer fighting game?! Forgive my ignorance, but on any other game wouldn't those be very glaring, horrible flaws that make the game unplayable?
I hope SSB doesn't get passes on otherwise terrible design decisions.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Silentpony said:
How are bad controls and a screen too small to play with friends considered SMALL NITPICKS on a multiplayer fighting game?! Forgive my ignorance, but on any other game wouldn't those be very glaring, horrible flaws that make the game unplayable?
I hope SSB doesn't get passes on otherwise terrible design decisions.
To be fair, it's made on handhelds. Even on the 3DS XL, I tend to get lost in the demo, AI opponents ganging up on you notwithstanding. As or bad controls, they arent nearly as bad as steven is making you believe they are. He is quite a lot more competitive with smash, at least that's the perspective he's going with.

If you truly want to compete really well, you'd better wait for the wii u is all. For me, I think I'll get it. Just need some people to play with over the internet. The solo stuff I'll probably play a lot as well, for some inexplicable reason. I guess I have weird tastes here and there.