Super Smash Bros. Sells One Million Copies in Two Days

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. Sells One Million Copies in Two Days

Japanese fans snapped up a million copies of Nintendo's latest mascot fighter over the weekend.

To say Super Smash Bros. is one of the most hotly anticipated franchises of all time is something of an understatement, so to tell you that its latest iteration sold over a million copies in just two days shouldn't come as too big of a surprise. What is somewhat surprising is that these are the figures for the 3DS version of the game, and only the Japanese release. It looks that while people had their doubts that the handheld version would sell well, the Japanese public has spoken with their wallets to the contrary.

Nintendo says that both physical retail and digital download sales contributed to this figure, and it marks forth 3DS game to hit the sales milestone in Nintendo's homeland after two days, following Monster Hunter 4, Pokemon X and Y, and local favorite Pokemon-a-like Yokai Watch 2. The 3DS version of the game is currently slated for release on October 3.

If we're getting these kind of massive numbers for the portable version, one can only imagine how much bigger they will be for the console version, which is traditionally where Smash fans have duked it out. The official release date for the Wii U version is "Holiday, 2014", though a leaked released date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137466-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-Release-Date-Leaked-by-Retailer] suggests we may get it as early as winter.

For fans dedicated enough to buy both releases, they'll be rewarded with a use their 3DS as a Wii U controller [http://club2.nintendo.com/smash-promo/].

Source: Nintendo via GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-smash-bros-3ds-hits-one-million-sales-in-two/1100-6422338/]

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
I'm not sure if the sales figure will be higher for the wiiu... We'll just have to wait and see for that, since they are the same game and all. Minus a few differences.

As for me, I dunno whether I should be getting it. But I do like to play it even if it's by myself. Am I weird for liking it that way? I dunno, but I'm having fun with just the demo.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
hickwarrior said:
I'm not sure if the sales figure will be higher for the wiiu... We'll just have to wait and see for that, since they are the same game and all. Minus a few differences.

As for me, I dunno whether I should be getting it. But I do like to play it even if it's by myself. Am I weird for liking it that way? I dunno, but I'm having fun with just the demo.
It will be interesting to see, but the game on the Wii U has a few advantages that I know people will prefer it for. One, the controls, GameCube adapter was a great idea and two, a bigger screen. While not deal breakers, as I am getting both games, they are things that will probably factor in. Oh, and being able to play with friends on the same screen etc as well.

I like playing single player too, don't worry, you're not alone at least :)

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Hold on? You can get a free soundtrack for buying both games? Or is this a Japan only promotion? Because if so than the temptation to double dip is high.

Also I had no doubts that it would do very well on the 3DS side. After all, people were fucking up their circle pads simply playing the demo.

SSB is going to be a huge pusher for Wii U sales. Seeing as how they probably also got a lot of people who never touched an SSB game a simple taste of how great it would be on console.

We'll see how it goes.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Dragonbums said:
Hold on? You can get a free soundtrack for buying both games? Or is this a Japan only promotion? Because if so than the temptation to double dip is high.
Nope, it's not Japan only. Register both of them on Club Nintendo and Nintendo will send you a two-CD soundtrack

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm patiently waiting for it to get released in the States. Hope the online play handles well.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:

Also I had no doubts that it would do very well on the 3DS side. After all, people were fucking up their circle pads simply playing the demo.

SSB is going to be a huge pusher for Wii U sales. Seeing as how they probably also got a lot of people who never touched an SSB game a simple taste of how great it would be on console.

We'll see how it goes.
It's in the US as well. Plus I wanna see what is exclusive to the Wii U version; Smash Run is 3DS only so no doubt the Wii U is gonna have something unique.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I thought most people knew this? It's been on the front page of Club Nintendo right next to the ad about the Ganondorf DLC for the last 2 weeks or so. You buy both versions, register them, and get the official soundtrack, which ironically enough would probably cost the same amount as buying both games since Japan has the nasty habit of charging outrageous prices for the official soundtracks of games. *glares at every official 3D Mario OST*

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
Why haven't they implemented this portable-console connectivity prior? I can imagine so many awesome applications if my DS/3DS could be used WITH my Wii/WiiU...

Please take this idea and go nuts already, Nintendo.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
I thought most people knew this? It's been on the front page of Club Nintendo right next to the ad about the Ganondorf DLC for the last 2 weeks or so. You buy both versions, register them, and get the official soundtrack, which ironically enough would probably cost the same amount as buying both games since Japan has the nasty habit of charging outrageous prices for the official soundtracks of games. *glares at every official 3D Mario OST*
I've got the Mario galaxy platinum OST, it was the only club Nintendo reward I actually wanted.
I'd much rather have paid £10 for it.
---

I would be getting smash 3DS when it comes out over here, but my brother managed to wreck the circle pad on my 3DSXL playing the demo. I need to get it repaired before I do anything else.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
water_bearer said:
Why haven't they implemented this portable-console connectivity prior? I can imagine so many awesome applications if my DS/3DS could be used WITH my Wii/WiiU...

Please take this idea and go nuts already, Nintendo.
Because A) they needed the right game for it and B) it was going to take a LOT of effort to get things right.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The title should mention that this is just in Japan. Many other games hit the 1 million mark in less than a week, but this game made that in Japan alone. Imagine how it would sell next month when everyone else can get it!

Also, it would be funny to add "... in Japan" in the title as a reference to the joke in Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy: "It's all the rage!" "... in Japan."
And it would be ironic, too, given different contexts.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
hickwarrior said:

The problem for the Wii U version is that people will need to buy a Wii U for it. 3DS has a massive userbase, so there's a lot of potential customers. The positive for the Wii U is that Smash Bros is a genuine console mover; people will buy a Wii U just for Smash Bros.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
Ah. I was too preoccupied with the Smash characters sales week. (Got SM3dW on it)